Prediction Why won't we win the 2019 flag?

Can we still win the flag?

• Total voters

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, I'm callin' it in and throwin' it out and spittin' the dummy and chuckin' a wobbly and shootin' the dog and headin' bush until the Eagles start winnin' again - I mean what's the friggin' point?
Hey, wouldn't it be hilarious if we made it to the Gf and won a B2B?
So many posters caught climbin' off the wagon!
But in fairness, that's the whole point of a site like this, to discuss opinions and put across points of view and air grievances, for better or worse...sounds like a marriage?

I haven't seen many climb off the wagon.

I have seen many criticise our games and performance within those games like not tackling etc and doubting whether we can win it from 5th spot.

Is that ok?

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I haven't seen many climb off the wagon.
I have seen many criticise our games and performance within those games like not tackling etc and doubting whether we can win it from 5th spot.
Is that ok?
A bit sensitive? -
"But in fairness, that's the whole point of a site like this, to discuss opinions and put across points of view and air grievances, for better or worse...sounds like a marriage?"
Was making light of the situation..just messin' around.
I'm betwixt and between-bracing for the worst and hoping for the best.
'IF' we win over Essendon, the dream is alive for another week!

Last edited:

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking forward to 2020, we need another KPF, unfortunately I don't think we can rely on JK, another elite inside mid and, if NN isn't fit and healthy, another gun ruck. But still awhile away. I still believe we have what it takes to contend in 2020, but if Simmo etc is stubborn I can see us slide.
Me also...and J.K should play, but only at home. Ease a new F.F in being mentored by J.K. Add Kelly to this mix and Williams as an up and coming Ruckman and 2020 looks solid.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
very interesting article by Travis king today at the AFL site: our numbers for ground ball gets pre finals 2018 versus 2019 are very similar.The difference this year is NN which is basically equivalent to a top 4 berth. last year without NN we had to finish top 4 this year we just had to finish in the 8. :)

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
very interesting article by Travis king today at the AFL site: our numbers for ground ball gets pre finals 2018 versus 2019 are very similar.The difference this year is NN which is basically equivalent to a top 4 berth. last year without NN we had to finish top 4 this year we just had to finish in the 8. :)

I really hope we can turn it on like that again. Can't see it happening unfortunately, win on Thursday and it's three away games in a row relying heavily on a guy that has played 3 games this year, one of them heavily impeded.

Had we finished top 4 I would be very bullish, but my God we blew it against Hawthorn (and Richmond, and Collingwood, and bloody Sydney...)

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea

If we finished 3rd or 4th id be a lot more confident. Go hard week one and we get a rest and home prelim. Just think elimination from the outset and travelling every week is too much. 16 wins was always the target and we had enough home games to get that last one. Collingwood, Hawks, even the Richmond game, just needed one 🤦🏻‍♂️

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
If we finished 3rd or 4th id be a lot more confident. Go hard week one and we get a rest and home prelim. Just think elimination from the outset and travelling every week is too much. 16 wins was always the target and we had enough home games to get that last one. Collingwood, Hawks, even the Richmond game, just needed one 🤦🏻‍♂️
Agree but then again imagine how tigers felt last year. Minor premiers, cruising to the PF with no issues what so ever prime to go B2B and that happened. So i think for us at least focus levels are well and truly on if we are going to do B2B cuz every game is an elimination game. I would not be surprised if somehow GF is Dogs vs Eagles.As i said double chance or not, top 2 or not. end of the day, it is all about form, if we are in form, we ca win 4 in a row and 3 away.

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Really good read here on our strengths and weaknesses heading into the finals:

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The week off before finals is a huge bonus and reset, look at Dogs 2016.
This year we are probably the team that should benefit the most from the week off.
The only difference between a top 4 and bottom 4 is the double chance and an extra home game.
Relying on a double chance is a defeatist attitude which we don't want.
We have traveled well the last few years so that shouldn't be a problem for us at all.
We have 3 elite players who missed out on playing in a premiership last year who would now be champing at the bit.

Why we won't win?????
MMmmmm I would rather state Why we should win.

Carn Eagles!

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree but then again imagine how tigers felt last year. Minor premiers, cruising to the PF with no issues what so ever prime to go B2B and that happened. So i think for us at least focus levels are well and truly on if we are going to do B2B cuz every game is an elimination game. I would not be surprised if somehow GF is Dogs vs Eagles.As i said double chance or not, top 2 or not. end of the day, it is all about form, if we are in form, we ca win 4 in a row and 3 away.

Are we in form?

Last edited:

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Getting too far ahead but if we got to a prelim from here we’d be on a huge roll. Add to that we’d be underdogs (where we usually play our best) and I’d back us in to at least make a 50/50 out of it. Still nervous about Essendon this week though, I think whoever wins it wins by 30+.
Why we won't win?????
MMmmmm I would rather state Why we should win.
Actually it does say "why won't we win"

CCJK

Draftee
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
If we don’t win it, I’d be inclined to believe that it was less due to effort, or lack thereof, and more to do with having our system figured out and tactically exploited, which has happened multiple times this year. And when it happens, the players seem to revert back to amygdala reactions; kicking long and hoping for the best. Fingers crossed this doesn’t happen!

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
If we don’t win it, I’d be inclined to believe that it was less due to effort, or lack thereof, and more to do with having our system figured out and tactically exploited, which has happened multiple times this year. And when it happens, the players seem to revert back to amygdala reactions; kicking long and hoping for the best. Fingers crossed this doesn’t happen!
I don’t think it’s necessarily us being worked out as there’s been other factors that contributed to most of our losses.. we’ve possibly been “worked out” by a couple of sides but not generally on the whole.

It’s more likely just the desire. Not necessarily “effort”, as I’m sure they’re not entering every game telling themselves they can’t be arsed.. but just that 5-10% subconscious comfort and arrogance that creeps into our games halfway through. We are the best side when the ball is in hand, the problem is we don’t have anyone willing to get the hard ball at the fall of contests or in stoppages. Once we do though you can nearly pencil in a deep inside 50 every time.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t think it’s necessarily us being worked out as there’s been other factors that contributed to most of our losses.. we’ve possibly been “worked out” by a couple of sides but not generally on the whole.

It’s more likely just the desire. Not necessarily “effort”, as I’m sure they’re not entering every game telling themselves they can’t be arsed.. but just that 5-10% subconscious comfort and arrogance that creeps into our games halfway through. We are the best side when the ball is in hand, the problem is we don’t have anyone willing to get the hard ball at the fall of contests or in stoppages. Once we do though you can nearly pencil in a deep inside 50 every time.

Its a consistent issue over the years under Simmo. We either rely to win it or rely on the opposition to turn it over and our talls intercepting.

While great relying on those strengths we have sorely lacked hardness at the contest and manic pressure under Simmo.

It really needs to be addressed as its the only thing holding us back from being untouchable.

Back