Roast Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we have tendency to flock over to opposition team boards prior to up coming games and bombard their match-preview thread? It's an unhealthy pattern I've noticed this year and it gives this board a bad look. Look at this thread on the Essendon board for example, I hate to say it but it's ****en cringe worthy. In comparison you look at our preview threads this season and you may get one or two opposition posters giving their thoughts/opinion.

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haven't seen the thread but have never understood the mentality of trolling, get a life bozos!!!

I don't usually go to boards that are generally unwelcoming of opposition posters, some clubs are keen on having some decent discussion in the week leading to the game and you don't see much dribble coming from both sides of the fence, but clubs like Essendon and Carlton in particular I try and avoid as much as possible. They are not too bad in the other games/non club related discussion threads but generally not very interested in talking about the game in general or getting much input from the other side.

I think it is pointless to talk too much about matchups and who you think will win them or who is going to play well, those are pissing into the wind kind of conversations, but for some opposition fans who don't see a lot of us because we aren't on FTA that often you can give them a bit of insight on our own players, who you think will play or what kind of form they have been in.

I think if club forums are generally not welcoming of outsiders they should just make those threads for their own supporters only, rather than leave them open and be unwelcoming. However, if you can't post something on an opposition board which you wouldn't find irritating/offensive if it was someone posting it on our board then don't post it. It is as simple as that, leave the trolling for Bay13 or the main board which is bay13 lite.

Aug 28, 2011
Beyond Reproach
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UAE Team Emirates
I personally spend quite a bit of time on opposition boards when they play us. I like the other perspective, it's interesting. Just need to be respectful of the fact you're a guest, is all

One of your mods seems particularly touchy about us. Why not just put it up as "Essendon fans only"?

I don't usually go to boards that are generally unwelcoming of opposition posters, some clubs are keen on having some decent discussion in the week leading to the game and you don't see much dribble coming from both sides of the fence, but clubs like Essendon and Carlton in particular I try and avoid as much as possible. They are not too bad in the other games/non club related discussion threads but generally not very interested in talking about the game in general or getting much input from the other side.

I think it is pointless to talk too much about matchups and who you think will win them or who is going to play well, those are pissing into the wind kind of conversations, but for some opposition fans who don't see a lot of us because we aren't on FTA that often you can give them a bit of insight on our own players, who you think will play or what kind of form they have been in.

I think if club forums are generally not welcoming of outsiders they should just make those threads for their own supporters only, rather than leave them open and be unwelcoming. However, if you can't post something on an opposition board which you wouldn't find irritating/offensive if it was someone posting it on our board then don't post it. It is as simple as that, leave the trolling for Bay13 or the main board which is bay13 lite.

This thread doesn't apply to you Tas. Your probably the most respected North poster on BF.

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No offence but you must be the most pointless poster on BF.
My point was about trolling, which seems to be the point of the thread.

This thread doesn't apply to you Tas. Your probably the most respected North poster on BF.

That isn't saying a lot about us as a group given I don't mind s**t stirring. :p I just don't do it on opposition club boards. :p

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't really get the point of posting on other teams boards. Most posters who exclusively post on team boards are the most biased and also the most protective of the "sanctity" of their own board so engaging with them is pointless.

You have to admit that most NM posters in that Essendon thread are just being moths. Couple of pages of North posters interspersed with some Essendon posters. I don't see the point.

Would never bother with Carlton, Richmond and Essendon boards though. Carlton supporters thought they'd pump us by 50+ (when they never even thoroughly beat us when we were below average), Richmond board are deluded to the point of embarrassment (some posters were even going around posting, "Can we say the P word?") and the Essendon board are completely preoccupied with talking down North to the point where it becomes obsessive.

Port board is actually probably my favourite board (only board where I've had a positive experience). They're realistic about where they're at and can take a jab or two without getting out the cards.

rooboy44

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Olympiakos
I don't see what's so bad about posting on opposition boards. I sometimes do it to get a bit more knowledge about a certain player in their team or something like that. At the end of the day this is a footy forum..... isn't that why this site was made? So people can talk about footy?

I think possibly the reason for the reactions that are occurring on our board is more the constant mentioning of injuries, its in the media, and everyone is talking about it so when an opposition supporter starts mentioning them (even lightheartedly) its too much for people.

In having said that, i havnt been this excited for a game in awhile, such a shame its Sunday twilight my most hated time slot.

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree with the OP.

Embarrassing to see more NMFC supporters in their own preview thread (not sure if it was modded in addition). To then whine like 4yos when they get carded is even worse.

I think possibly the reason for the reactions that are occurring on our board is more the constant mentioning of injuries, its in the media, and everyone is talking about it so when an opposition supporter starts mentioning them (even lightheartedly) its too much for people.

In having said that, i havnt been this excited for a game in awhile, such a shame its Sunday twilight my most hated time slot.

Let's hope it stays your most hated. Sunday twilight scalps for us this year are Geelong, Adelaide and Stkilda. You guys are next! :)

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I personally enjoy the discussion on opposition boards about upcoming games. Keep it civil and things tend to go alright. Sure, a few will try to bait you into having a go but that's just the way it goes. I don't see the point in just trolling.

I do find very interesting the tack taken by the Bombres board this time around though. Not so sure it's that they don't care about games against North. All supporters care about all games. It's almost as if they are afraid to admit that they care about this match, which I find pretty sad considering that the clubs have been rivals since the 1880's. Imagine denying part of our history to score points on bigfooty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back