WI vs Pakistan 2 Tests

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
100 per cent. Though you could say that about Blackwood, Chase etc. in the context of the match Brathwaite’s 97 was huge
Sadly i missed a lot of earlier part of Test so none of that I seen yet but may get a chance to catch up on Kayo during the week.
Was in deep therapy and straight jacket in padded cell for most of weekend after seeing 19 unanswered goals by my football team on tv.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Sadly i missed a lot of earlier part of Test so none of that I seen yet but may get a chance to catch up on Kayo during the week.
Was in deep therapy and straight jacket in padded cell for most of weekend after seeing 19 unanswered goals by my football team on tv.

Sorry I shouldn’t laugh but I did smile reading this

konkani

Cancelled
Jan 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
This win is a big win for WI. We pretty much destroyed SA recently and very nearly knocked over England at home. I actually think there is a small talent gap in Pakistan's favour but we were outplayed. Jayden Seales might help to close that though. Please no Yasir Shah for the next test dear Misbah your Royal Incompetency, pick a spinner that isn't a run leaker please
Anyway my pulse has stopped racing

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This win is a big win for WI. We pretty much destroyed SA recently and very nearly knocked over England at home. I actually think there is a small talent gap in Pakistan's favour but we were outplayed. Jayden Seales might help to close that though. Please no Yasir Shah for the next test dear Misbah your Royal Incompetency, pick a spinner that isn't a run leaker please
Anyway my pulse has stopped racing

The kicker for the West Indies getting back some sort of more respectable mediocrity will come when we can start beating the sides who we just have a mental inability to get past. We’ve been competitive with England and Pakistan and Sri Lanka for basically the whole decade plus change, regardless of how those teams are going. Equally, regardless of how poorly australia and sa are going we find it impossible to beat them. It’s very mental.

konkani

Cancelled
Jan 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
The kicker for the West Indies getting back some sort of more respectable mediocrity will come when we can start beating the sides who we just have a mental inability to get past. We’ve been competitive with England and Pakistan and Sri Lanka for basically the whole decade plus change, regardless of how those teams are going. Equally, regardless of how poorly australia and sa are going we find it impossible to beat them. It’s very mental.
Judging by that absolutely ludicrous stat you posted about 4th innings chases though, you would appear to be very VERY mentally strong. Maybe it's also a case of those teams being chock full of confidence against you due to the history?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Judging by that absolutely ludicrous stat you posted about 4th innings chases though, you would appear to be very VERY mentally strong. Maybe it's also a case of those teams being chock full of confidence against you due to the history?

that’s probably true. We have confidence enough to think we can win from anywhere, evidenced by the chases at headingley and in Bangladesh and a couple of the fourth innings bowling efforts. Having the common sense to get there sometimes eludes us though. I just want one banker. One batsman we can count on. Holder and brathwaite are the closest we have to it and they’re miles off.

just awaiting Pippen’s permission to see if I can actually celebrate that win yet

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Just watched a video of the Windies post match debrief in the dressing rooms. Geez holder is impressive. He’s no longer the captain but he’s still the heart and soul of the team. Gave a fantastic speech and you could see how much the younger players look up to him especially young Seales

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Just watched a video of the Windies post match debrief in the dressing rooms. Geez holder is impressive. He’s no longer the captain but he’s still the heart and soul of the team. Gave a fantastic speech and you could see how much the younger players look up to him especially young Seales
Still can't fathom why they went with Kraigg over Holder. Maybe the WICB preferred a batting captain over a bowler. But Holder is clearly the figurehead of the team & has been since, post Darren Sammy I guess.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Still can't fathom why they went with Kraigg over Holder. Maybe the WICB preferred a batting captain over a bowler. But Holder is clearly the figurehead of the team & has been since, post Darren Sammy I guess.

I think tactically it’s much of a muchness, they’re both defensive and fairly conventional with their captaincy. Braithwaite deputised very well in Bangladesh, won a series they probably weren’t expected to, was rewarded for it. Being captain, bowler and batsman was probably too big a workload, especially for an all format player. I also didn’t necessarily like the way holder used himself, he probably didn’t bowl himself enough.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
I also didn’t necessarily like the way holder used himself, he probably didn’t bowl himself enough.
Can see this, yes. It's a bit of a tightrope job imo. Bowl yourself too much & you'll be roasted. Bowl yourself not often enough & you'll probably end up in the same boat.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Second test starts tonight at Sabina. Glad to see in the era of double up test venues one of the spiritual homes of Caribbean cricket is getting a good look in. Also been nice to see some wider contributions from islands that aren’t Barbados to the team itself. Roach, Holder and Brathwaite are still the core of the team but Seales (T and T), Blackwood (Jamaica), Da Silva (T and T) are all carving a decent niche for themselves.
Bonner had a wretched first test but he’s been a good contributor from Jamaica up until now.
Hope is a big chance to come back in tonight I think and I’m certain he’ll be used as an opener in place of Powell who just can’t be persisted with any longer.

Pre-game trivia:
Backing my claim that the Windies have dragged themselves from the ‘dumpster fire’ rung of the world Test ladder to the ‘mediocre’ rung, is the following table. And yes I have cherry picked the starting point precisely to enhance my POV.

Past 37 test matches:
New Zealand 22 wins
India 21 wins
England 19 wins
Australia 19 wins
SA 19 wins
(Drumroll please)
West Indies 14 wins
Pakistan 13 wins
Sri Lanka 11 wins

The big surprise on that metric for me is actually SA. I thought they’d be way worse than that.

Trojan90

All Australian
May 7, 2012
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Hope is a big chance to come back in tonight I think and I’m certain he’ll be used as an opener

Gee I hope he can solidify this spot or any spot. Too much talent for the test career he has had.

Brathwaite, Blackwood, Da Silva, Holder, Seales, Roach. This is a decent enough core that should be able to compete. Need players like Hope to step up and fill a gap up the order. Be nice if Blackwood can go to another level too (start averaging in the 40s).

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
They canned it for bad light and there were two injuries treated - Da Silva and Fawad - but no rain etc. pretty pathetic
They need to get better, otherwise they're going to have to deal with having their captain suspended every few matches. It's really not that hard; get back to the top of your mark, bowl, your captain changes the field and if he can't get it the way he wants by the time you hit the top of your mark tough.

That, and they need to develop Chase's spin to get him bowling an over in a minute. If all of a sudden he can bowl 6 overs in the time it takes to blink, that's a huge advantage for his team and the bats suddenly feel rushed.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually reads like a really strange day of cricket. WI all over it in the first session, Pakistan close to untroubled in the second, the heat sucking the life out of the game to an extent and then an unsettled and strange end to the day

Back