WI vs Pakistan 2 Tests

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
They need to get better, otherwise they're going to have to deal with having their captain suspended every few matches. It's really not that hard; get back to the top of your mark, bowl, your captain changes the field and if he can't get it the way he wants by the time you hit the top of your mark tough.

That, and they need to develop Chase's spin to get him bowling an over in a minute. If all of a sudden he can bowl 6 overs in the time it takes to blink, that's a huge advantage for his team and the bats suddenly feel rushed.
Captains don't get suspended for slow over rates anymore. It's WTC point deductions and increased fines for everyone now. The WTC points deductions cost Australia a place in the WTC final.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
They need to get better, otherwise they're going to have to deal with having their captain suspended every few matches. It's really not that hard; get back to the top of your mark, bowl, your captain changes the field and if he can't get it the way he wants by the time you hit the top of your mark tough.

That, and they need to develop Chase's spin to get him bowling an over in a minute. If all of a sudden he can bowl 6 overs in the time it takes to blink, that's a huge advantage for his team and the bats suddenly feel rushed.

It’s not that hard but it’s not as big a deal if a team bowls 86 overs in a day instead of the magical 90 as it’s made out to be. Far bigger issues in World cricket right now.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
86 rather than 90 is one thing; the WI bowled 74 overs on day one.

That would have been closer to 84-85 bar an early finish for bad light, a Pakistan player receiving treatment on the field and then retiring hurt, Joshua Da Silva leaving the field with 1 ball till tea and then the umpires forcing the West Indies to get replacement keeper Sharmah Brooks padded up to complete the one remaining ball of the session, and then a pitch invasion by flies of all things which led to one of the batsmen spending 4 minutes getting rid of one from Alzarri Joseph’s eye.

Our over rate was slow but there were some extenuating circumstances

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
That would have been closer to 84-85 bar an early finish for bad light, a Pakistan player receiving treatment on the field and then retiring hurt, Joshua Da Silva leaving the field with 1 ball till tea and then the umpires forcing the West Indies to get replacement keeper Sharmah Brooks padded up to complete the one remaining ball of the session, and then a pitch invasion by flies of all things which led to one of the batsmen spending 4 minutes getting rid of one from Alzarri Joseph’s eye.

It might explain why his bowling figures stick out like a sore thumb on the scorecard.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

There are games of park cricket on a synthetic wicket that play more overs than were bowled on that first day.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Just bat out that day and make 250 and we win the series. Nope. Have to go from 4-100 to 7-100 in two overs.

Just get to stumps 0-down and we should be able to survive tomorrow and win the series. Nope. Get run out by not grounding your bat. There are no words invented for how frustrating our batsmen are

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Just bat out that day and make 250 and we win the series. Nope. Have to go from 4-100 to 7-100 in two overs.

Just get to stumps 0-down and we should be able to survive tomorrow and win the series. Nope. Get run out by not grounding your bat. There are no words invented for how frustrating our batsmen are
Twists yet to come.

Alzarri Joseph to make his first test ton, batting through the day.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Twists yet to come.

Alzarri Joseph to make his first test ton, batting through the day.

Geez that would be something. This sort of scenario where we shouldn’t even go close to winning is the exact sort of game we often find a way to somehow pull out of our arse.

Joseph is a good night watchman option because he has a solid enough defence to do the job and is a good enough attacking player to actually get us off to a start on day five

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Geez that would be something. This sort of scenario where we shouldn’t even go close to winning is the exact sort of game we often find a way to somehow pull out of our arse.

Joseph is a good night watchman option because he has a solid enough defence to do the job and is a good enough attacking player to actually get us off to a start on day five
Think I saw he had a test 80 something at some point.

All it would take would be Abbas forgetting how to bowl for an hour or three.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Think I saw he had a test 80 something at some point.

All it would take would be Abbas forgetting how to bowl for an hour or three.

He’s got two test half centuries. If you can find it, have a look at the innings he played in NZ while Blackwood was making his century earlier this year. It was actually one of the best exhibitions of handling Wagner that I’ve seen from anyone. He belted him and he did it from the textbook. Aside from the fact that he has natural pace, I actually think he has more natural talent as a batsman than a bowler. And by all reports he takes it very seriously and wants to be a genuine all rounder.

I watched Abbas for half an hour at the start of play last night and boy oh boy when he’s on, he just doesn’t give you anything. But if the ball is not moving he’s the sort of guy who could leak 50-60 runs quickly and get us into a position where we could win.

Kyle Mayers is a concern at the moment. He can’t get past the first few balls he faces. Sometimes that can just be bad luck but when it’s happening too often it’s not a great sign.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
He’s got two test half centuries. If you can find it, have a look at the innings he played in NZ while Blackwood was making his century earlier this year. It was actually one of the best exhibitions of handling Wagner that I’ve seen from anyone. He belted him and he did it from the textbook. Aside from the fact that he has natural pace, I actually think he has more natural talent as a batsman than a bowler. And by all reports he takes it very seriously and wants to be a genuine all rounder.

I watched Abbas for half an hour at the start of play last night and boy oh boy when he’s on, he just doesn’t give you anything. But if the ball is not moving he’s the sort of guy who could leak 50-60 runs quickly and get us into a position where we could win.

Kyle Mayers is a concern at the moment. He can’t get past the first few balls he faces. Sometimes that can just be bad luck but when it’s happening too often it’s not a great sign.
Mayers is the medium, right?

Whether we're talking footy or cricket, I have a massive dislike for genuine all rounders/hybrid players. Part timers I can get behind; if your bowling is good enough to take wickets without detracting from your batting (and there are examples of blokes like this in world cricket, Joe Root among them) then bowl them in a test match, but go in with a plan. Don't just 'Oh, we're going to bowl Green at the wrong end to a Pat Cummins field and expect him to take wicket after wicket as though he were Shane Watson!'

I have a bit of an issue with how the WI develop their players as a consequence. Holder could very well be the best bat on the planet if he just stopped practicing his bowling and used the time to bat and bat long. Does this lose the WI a strike weapon? Absolutely it does. What do they need more than a strike weapon? Runs.

How many all rounders are there within the WI setup that could be told, "Okay, nuff's enough. You, you and you; you're in the nets this week, learning the sweep or dancing to the pitch. You, you and you, get your trainers on and hit the gym and then the track, we're going to build your fitness and your power with bowler specific drills, we're going to get Jason to work with you to produce plans for you when you're bowling, and then you're going to hit the nets again."

But then, I'm just a dude.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Mayers is the medium, right?

Whether we're talking footy or cricket, I have a massive dislike for genuine all rounders/hybrid players. Part timers I can get behind; if your bowling is good enough to take wickets without detracting from your batting (and there are examples of blokes like this in world cricket, Joe Root among them) then bowl them in a test match, but go in with a plan. Don't just 'Oh, we're going to bowl Green at the wrong end to a Pat Cummins field and expect him to take wicket after wicket as though he were Shane Watson!'

I have a bit of an issue with how the WI develop their players as a consequence. Holder could very well be the best bat on the planet if he just stopped practicing his bowling and used the time to bat and bat long. Does this lose the WI a strike weapon? Absolutely it does. What do they need more than a strike weapon? Runs.

How many all rounders are there within the WI setup that could be told, "Okay, nuff's enough. You, you and you; you're in the nets this week, learning the sweep or dancing to the pitch. You, you and you, get your trainers on and hit the gym and then the track, we're going to build your fitness and your power with bowler specific drills, we're going to get Jason to work with you to produce plans for you when you're bowling, and then you're going to hit the nets again."

But then, I'm just a dude.

He is, and the one who hit the double century in debut to beat Bangladesh

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In a strange way I can forgive that easier than Powell who’s gotten through a few overs here and there and done nothing. When you’re out of form if you get a good one before you’ve even settled it can be curtains straight away

Back