Wild West Era of the Internet over?

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually haven't used it for 5 years before you stopped
Im typing this on an old Underwood
iu

Reddit has its fair share of weird areas to sift through but agree youtube is s**t now.

What made it popular was random videos youd not usually see. Now MSM are uploading shows/highlights and that's all that appears on the feed. Hopefully the downfall of it if something else pops up offering a less msm reliant alternative

Reddit has its fair share of weird areas to sift through but agree youtube is sh*t now.

What made it popular was random videos youd not usually see. Now MSM are uploading shows/highlights and that's all that appears on the feed. Hopefully the downfall of it if something else pops up offering a less msm reliant alternative

You just need to ignore the pop-ups & algorithms on You-tube & source your own interests.

Usually, once you find an alternative & independent site. One you both like & get to know & trust, then you'll find others in the same wheel-house.

The better one's will always provide the links to the source material that features in their show-notes.

Much like any post-grad work….You have to take responsibility for your own interests & knowledge in becoming your own best researcher.

The lazy types will always allow others (Usually our corporate sanctioned masters) to do their thinking for them, unconsciously so.

Basically, you need to set your own algorithms, by remaining ever-vigilant to their insidious interference. The best way to do that is with a cache of subscription sites, that form a barrier to their attempts at mind-control.

You just need to ignore the pop-ups & algorithms on You-tube & source your own interests.

Usually, once you find an alternative & independent site. One you both like & get to know & trust, then you'll find others in the same wheel-house.

The better one's will always provide the links to the source material that features in their show-notes.

Much like any post-grad work….You have to take responsibility for your own interests & knowledge in becoming your own best researcher.

The lazy types will always allow others (Usually our corporate sanctioned masters) to do their thinking for them, unconsciously so.

Basically, you need to set your own algorithms, by remaining ever-vigilant to their insidious interference. The best way to do that is with a cache of subscription sites, that form a barrier to their attempts at mind-control.
I agree its on you but the algo used to give interesting stuff that youd probably not find usually. Now its just stuff with a billion views already

Makes it much harder to find new stuff...

I agree its on you but the algo used to give interesting stuff that youd probably not find usually. Now its just stuff with a billion views already

Makes it much harder to find new stuff...

Try BitChute then.

Here's one way they've tamed the internet.

1592826975193.png

YouTube is too big to fail.

Interesting that social media seems to be dying. Facebook and Twitter have peaked, we've hit peak Instagram currently I think.

I reckon it's more due to younger generation moving to apps and the such like Snapchat etc that offer more privacy. Tiktok seems to be getting bigger entirety me everyday but I'll never have one.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Im typing this on an old Underwood
iu

When I did my degree I had to use an electric typewriter. It wasn't too bad, except for needing to calculate how many lines I needed to leave at the bottom for the footnotes. That was a pain in the arse. Sometimes I did a manual cut and paste.

When I did my degree I had to use an electric typewriter. It wasn't too bad, except for needing to calculate how many lines I needed to leave at the bottom for the footnotes. That was a pain in the arse. Sometimes I did a manual cut and paste.
Same

in my last year i found out i had a paper allowance at the library in the printers connected to the computers. I printed out the entire pulp fiction screenplay with my allowance

Interesting that social media seems to be dying. Facebook and Twitter have peaked, we've hit peak Instagram currently I think.

I reckon it's more due to younger generation moving to apps and the such like Snapchat etc that offer more privacy. Tiktok seems to be getting bigger entirety me everyday but I'll never have one.

Nothing has damaged society more than Insta and FB. Will be a good day if they die off completely like MySpace but sadly something worse will probably take their place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To the OP, you could argue this really occurred at the turn-of-the-millennium when the dotcom boom started to bust, but then a decade ago with everyone and their dog joining social media it did feel like the web was becoming annexed by corporate bland and their ruthless advertising.

There will be Web 5.0s and 6.0s and the like, but the internet no longer being restricted to a stationary PC terminal for access means that more people use it as an on-the-go & distraction in daily living and hollow content appeals more to lowest common denominator.

My folks were forced into buying a computer when my school teacher's complained they couldn't read my handwriting.

My niece was telling me she and all her friends from school got tickets to the Trump rally through tiktok. It went viral and millions of kids around the world applied for tickets but obviously never had any intention of turning up.

Given tiktok is Chinese owned, I wonder if this was a coincidence or mischievous.

My niece was telling me she and all her friends from school got tickets to the Trump rally through tiktok. It went viral and millions of kids around the world applied for tickets but obviously never had any intention of turning up.

Given tiktok is Chinese owned, I wonder if this was a coincidence or mischievous.
Trump's team got played by a bunch of kids because they're f***ing idiots. There's nothing nefarious at play here.

The internet started to get s**t when the housewives or as they are known now as Karens started to arrive in large numbers.

That was around 99.

Then everything started to get moderated and moderated way over the top because these campaigners would whinge and whine and want everything and anyone banned.

Biggest narks you'd ever meet.

Around 93-7 was the greatest time to run amok wild west style online.

K Pop fans
so might be Koreans more than Chinese though K Pop has fans all over it was big in Vietnam when I was there
K Pop has become inexplicably huge everywhere. Fair chance that kids (and adults) in the US were just as involved as anyone else.

The internet started to get sh*t when the housewives or as they are known now as Karens started to arrive in large numbers.

That was around 99.

Then everything started to get moderated and moderated way over the top because these campaigners would whinge and whine and want everything and anyone banned.

Biggest narks you'd ever meet.

Around 93-7 was the greatest time to run amok wild west style online.
Yeah man cool, you were there when it all began. Right on.

Want to know how to delete a blank page in Word? It's super easy. But first, let's get into the history of Microsoft for a second...
yeah, it really sucks having a global video hosting site which basically serves as a visual instruction manual on ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING

I just get so annoyed about this free service when I have click it forward to the 30 second mark to get past the obligatory introduction

I’m not entitled much...

:drunk:

Kind of a random thought and I'm not really in the right state of mind to articulate it well (feeling quite ill, hopefully not corona), but does anyone else feel like the wild west tone of the internet in the 2000's is basically dead and buried, never to return? I remember when I was like 11 going on a guitar forum which had a drug thread with detailed stories about taking smack and hallucinogens which was really fascinating to read through, and all sorts of weird websites and strange people getting their crackpot opinions out there.

Now the internet is rapidly turning into the same sanitized corporate-boardroom designed experience as watching television, and half the content seems to be designed to sell you something and has clearly been through review. Something a random dude came up with getting traction on the internet now seems impossible to me, at least in the ways the net used to do that, and I don't see another technological platform coming into existence which can recreate that spirit of counter-culture on the scale of the internet again.
This is true, except I'd even say the 2000's it was going downhill. Peak internet was before the user base migrated from largely in Universities, government and a few large companies to the general public. When I first got on the internet in 1992 at Uni it was largely text based (newsgroups etc). That didn't start to change much until we got Mosaic as a browser for the then new WWW in 1993. Most people didn't know what the internet was then. Heck, even IT at Uni didn't ping me for downloading pr0n on my Uni account until 4th year in 1995. And that was 'stop doing it', rather than them having ways to lock sites easily :tearsofjoy:

The death of the internet's wild west started as it started migrating into 'the real world' in numbers. Which was 1995 - 1999. This was still a fairly wild time, as it was largely tech savvy people using it at work on or PC's at home. There was a barrier to entry, that stopped the great unwashed, so it lost some rough edges, but it was still not the domain of the great unwashed.

The real turning point was the smart phone. Suddenly every idiot who previously needed to bug their nerdy friend or relative if they need tech help, was able to post their vacuous thoughts 24/7. It didn't take long for companies to pander to this narcissism and provide associated ad's to the gullible. As smart phones became more prevalent and easier to use, the IQ of the average internet user continued to plummet. Whilst there are still sites for everything conceivable, its ironic that a platform that looked like freeing us from all in a geographic area being bound to a handful of sources of information, is now largely the domain of a few companies for 95% of the internet user base across the entire globe.

[/Old man yelling at clouds]

After XP there was no longer anonymity, windows 7 needed your name linked to your account
Sept 11 was part of the crack down
People fishing through 10 year old posts to get people fired hasnt helped either
People using 4 chan to work themselves into a lather and go postal
The death of Wikileaks

theres been a few things

Then add selfies,food pr0n instagrams, "karens" liking anti burqa posts,and twitter adding more words

Remove this Banner Ad

Back