FTA-TV Wild Wild Country - NETFLIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Surprised there isn't a thread on this new series from Netflix, and I am equally surprised that I had never heard of this cult before. It's a 6 part documentary on an Indian guru who came to the US and built a town. 1st episode is a littles slow setting up the history in India but by 10 minutes int the 2nd episode I found myself totally hooked and googling whether this stuff actually happened. Apparently it did.

Surprised there isn't a thread on this new series from Netflix, and I am equally surprised that I had never heard of this cult before. It's a 6 part documentary on an Indian guru who came to the US and built a town. 1st episode is a littles slow setting up the history in India but by 10 minutes int the 2nd episode I found myself totally hooked and googling whether this stuff actually happened. Apparently it did.

Haven't looked yet but my brother recommended. I had no idea the history nor how aggressive, vindictive and nasty the Orange People were.

Haven't looked yet but my brother recommended. I had no idea the history nor how aggressive, vindictive and nasty the Orange People were.
It’s pretty mad and I’m amazed that this is forgotten whereas Jonestown or Waco are remembered, although no one died from this cult. Will be interested to hear other people’s opinions as more people watch it. It’s very, very good to the point I was questioning wether it was a fake news kinda doco.

It’s pretty mad and I’m amazed that this is forgotten whereas Jonestown or Waco are remembered, although no one died from this cult. Will be interested to hear other people’s opinions as more people watch it. It’s very, very good to the point I was questioning wether it was a fake news kinda doco.

There's a couple of youtube doccy's on the poisonings, drug running and Ma Sheila head hag who did time but the fact that nobody died after so many in all age groups became so very sick, was sheer luck.

We binged this last weekend and found it very interesting. I liked how they presented the rather OTT faith of the Orange people and the Christian State equally. The way the US Govt. tried to shut the commune down was very unconstitutional, but that's America for you. Their constitution is important only when it suits them. I thought the towns people were just as repugnant as the orange people TBH. Sheela though was a sociopath, and what she did was disgusting. Same goes for her council of 20. I do think Osho was involved to a degree too, but you can't prove it.

I thought it hilarious people are still into this junk over in India. Some people will believe anything.

I have vague memories of 60 Minutes in the late 70s doing a story/interview on it.

Fwiw it is a poor title that doesnt raise interest immediately, but have seen + reviews over weekend
Agree the title is poor but the series is great. I have so many questions but want to ask them to people who have watched it already, and not prejudice them after the fact.

There is footage in the series of a Willisee interviewing Sheela, so that is probably what you remember. Also a Mike Munro interview too.

For instance
The footage; sometimes it looks like a recreation or re-enactment. Im not sure how much of the old footage is real because it looks so surreal... Dudes in red carrying automatic weapons and what not. Ive spent an hour googling because I was sure this was some kind of project by the film makers to create something that never happened, but it seems it did and was forgotten. And Sheela!!! I really started thinking it was all actors playing out their parts she was so extreme.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back