Remove this Banner Ad

Bark Maguley

All Australian
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Counter Logic Gaming
Excluding a completely freak one of a kind player - will players start to kick around 100 goals or more again?

The game won't revert to fat plugger and Dunstall sitting in the goal square again obviously.

However the game always changes due to strategy; e.g what's the best way to beat a zone/defenders dropping back? Run the ball through, break the lines and hand pass to clear the zone on the fast break.

This strategy of running the ball is more easily countered by having more players around the ball also.

Resultantly the game has now changed (this is a very simplified version just to illustrate meta/strategy changes)

With more defenders pressing up, the offensive strategy would begin to differ. Irregardless of what the change was we will see average scores by teams fluctuate as offensive/defensive strategies adapt accordingly.

We could quite simply be at a low point. Eventually The game could be centred around a very fast cherry picking joe the goose forward as that became the best way to counteract a teams defence.

Players havnt been kicking 100 goals every year, until team defence came along. It's cyclical like most things in life, it goes through peaks and troughs.

In my opinion there will be periods where players can and can't kick 100 goals in a season in the future as strategies progress over time.

Essentially paper beats rock but it doesn't beat scissors but scissors doesn't beat rock and so on.

What does everybody else think?

It will definitely happen again. There will be some super freak player in the right situation at some point.

Plus the AFL are intent on making the game higher scoring so subsequent rule changes are likely to continue to push it in that direction.

When it happens again - all of Bigfooty can gather around and say
"This is completely precedented"

For me the interpretation of the rules has a big part in it. If the umpires start clamping down on "chopping the arms" again, we may see a lot more free kicks in front of goal. There have been years gone by when a defender couldn't do sh!t without a free getting called against them. I for one prefer to see less goals and more FWD V DEF Battles.

Not in this era. Jeeemy Cameron the best outside bet but even so I doubt it.
I know why you said Cameron but having so many players who are good around him to dilute his goals (similar to how Lloyd probably would've hit 1000 had Scott Lucas never played as well)

My question is why not Daniher who has lower tier forwards like Stewart and Hooker around him or Lynch who has a 40 goal a year forward in Wright next to him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly possible, probably just needs some rule changes like

- allow hands in the back during marking contests
- a last touch out of bounds rule - this will force more play through the centre leading to higher scoring and less angled shots at goal.

Or some crazier changes like:
- increase number of matches per season
- increase length of match
- reduce number of players on the field
- introduce zoning

I know why you said Cameron but having so many players who are good around him to dilute his goals (similar to how Lloyd probably would've hit 1000 had Scott Lucas never played as well)

My question is why not Daniher who has lower tier forwards like Stewart and Hooker around him or Lynch who has a 40 goal a year forward in Wright next to him?

Just wonder how accurate Daniher will be that's all. You'd need to go 65% minimum I would say.

Just wonder how accurate Daniher will be that's all. You'd need to go 65% minimum I would say.

That's a pretty funny comment given current circumstances. Daniher is at 34 goals, 18 behinds for 65.4% accuracy.

Right now he's got better accuracy than: Franklin, Josh Kennedy, Taylor Walker and Jack Riewoldt.

Of the top goal kickers (over 20 goals was my cut-off) the only ones to be over 70% are some of the smaller type forwards in: Betts, Menzel and Fantasia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back