Will a player ever kick 100 goals again

Remove this Banner Ad

Without a doubt.
It will happen quicker though when they bring back control of interchange system from being abused as rotation system. Once less rotations happening the congestion on field will be less and less with players not able to run up and down both ends congesting forward lines with over 30 players in them. When you are not able to just rotate 22 players into the 18 on field willy nilly it will improve the game again as a spectacle. So probably closer to 5 to 10 years away than anytime soon. Maybe Hogan when he is 28 or something.

1. This love affair for wide spreads of goal kickers
I dont think it can change while defenders are mobile enough to gang up on a single target. To some extent it was always true but more so in recent years that you have to present multiple threats. This makes it harder for the defence to focus.
One change I do notice is small forwards seem to be the primary target more. It might just be my perception but I think guys like Cyril, Eddie are more often leading targets when in previous years you'd expect them to be crumbers. We certainly use Toby that way, and with three talls up forwatd at time he will usually have a small defender if he can be isolated one out.

Throughout history I think only 2 periods where 100 goal kickers were common place. 70s-90s and the 1930s.
I don't think anyone kicked 100 after Coleman till Hudson did? (Someone can correct me but that would of been almost a 20 year gap)

Interesting to note these periods of 100 goal kickers came in the aftermath of big rule changes (30s after the last kick out of bounds free kick rule and then the out on the full rule in the late 60s).

Again I'm probably a bit off on the specifics so someone can correct me

Who will be the next player to reach 100?

1 Jack Riewoldt Richmond 70
2 Ben Brown North Melbourne 61
3 Tom Hawkins Geelong 60
4 Lance Franklin Sydney 57
5 Luke Breust Hawthorn 54
6 Tom McDonald Melbourne 53
7 Jack Gunston Hawthorn 51

1 Lance Franklin Sydney 73
2 Joshua Kennedy West Coast 69
3 Joe Daniher Essendon 65
4 Ben Brown North Melbourne 63
5 Eddie Betts Adelaide 55
6 Jack Riewoldt Richmond 54
6 Taylor Walker Adelaide 54

it looks a like a long distance away

I would say so.

Nikita kucherov is on pace for 140 points in the NHL after the leading scorer got under 90 in 2015.

But I don't see anyone in the next 5 years accomplishing it

Charlie Curnow is going to be the first player in many years to get nearest to the century.

(no pressure Charlie)

Unlikely....

Unless another Buddy Franklin type emerges again.

Even then the AFL has to increase games to the point each AFL side plays 24 or even 26 games each in the regular season. That means that player has to average just over 4 goals a game

People were saying we'd never see 100 goal kicker before 2008 when Buddy got 100+ & Fevola finished on 99.

We'll see 100 goal kickers in the future as the game changes again.

It will happen again. It is only 6 years ago that Kennedy kicked 80 - great player but no freak. A freak will come along, game plans will change.

Don't think it is going to happen often though. The days of teams attacking through one key forward are probably over. Coaches like to see a spread of goal kickers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larkey could be on 20 goals after 3 games. Will give himself a chance

I dont think its in Carltons best interest for Charlie to get the ton. Better for a top 4 team to have multiple options

I dont think its in Carltons best interest for Charlie to get the ton. Better for a top 4 team to have multiple options
Who else is going to kick them? Silvagni? Owies?
Mckay and Curnow are our best avenue to goal for the time being, not sure he'll get close to 100 but I'd still be happy to see someone get up around 80 again.

Who else is going to kick them? Silvagni? Owies?
Mckay and Curnow are our best avenue to goal for the time being, not sure he'll get close to 100 but I'd still be happy to see someone get up around 80 again.
Weird post, a spread of goal kickers is a spread of goal kickers. You also left out our best small forwards.

I can see Curnow kicking 10 goals in a match. I remember commentators would always talk about Matthew Richardson one day booting 15 goals. Never happened but Curnow just appears to be one of those types.

Probably at some point, Josh Kennedy kicked 82 in 2016, which isn’t a million miles away.

Biggest hurdle is teams don’t want it because too much of their scoring goes through one player and they become too predictable. What did Clarkson say to Buddy after he did it, “I hope you enjoyed that because I’ll be making sure it never happens again”

Probably at some point, Josh Kennedy kicked 82 in 2016, which isn’t a million miles away.

Biggest hurdle is teams don’t want it because too much of their scoring goes through one player and they become too predictable. What did Clarkson say to Buddy after he did it, “I hope you enjoyed that because I’ll be making sure it never happens again”
Pretty sure that was actually after he had his first kid.

If we include Finals then I think it can happen. If its only the regular season then probably not.

Though in a few years we will have Tassie who may be a basketcase for a while which will give forwards hope.

No-one currently playing is capable of kicking 100 in a season. However this doesn't mean that a new freak talent like 2008 era Buddy couldn't emerge from the draft in the next 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back