Prediction Will AFLX survive another year?

Remove this Banner Ad

In the last 20 years when was the last time the AFL admitted they made a mistake on anything?
Future possibility
When Tom Hawkins sues for numerous times he was Guinea pigged for new rules and then rules found to need relaxing
Might get two weeks this year for having a flap of leather on his boot on the wrong side of the 50 metre arc at a centre bounce

The clubs think it's a joke of an idea hence pulling their players from it. If only Geelong shared the same sentiment. We're severely lacking in testicular fortitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clubs think it's a joke of an idea hence pulling their players from it. If only Geelong shared the same sentiment. We're severely lacking in testicular fortitude.
Let's just wait and see if any players pull up "sore" from yesterday before we go silly

Let's just wait and see if any players pull up "sore" from yesterday before we go silly
I get the feeling our players think it's fun.
And no way is the captain of the Bolts* going to pull out.
At least they are three of our most durable players (fingers crossed).

*Probably should have called themselves the Nuts instead.

To answer the OP - not in the current format. Like State of Origin, AFLX is a meaningless mickey mouse competition, and not even a financially lucrative one. $8000 for one game (I'd love that), but in the scheme of things it isn't worth it for someone on a salary of $300K+. The death knell will be if Player X cops a serious injury. Given there are 8 to a team and the games are brief, it is unlikely, but...

And now, a word from Patrick Dangerfield...

“It’s been interesting seeing just how many negative articles there has been and the personal opinion of those journalists,” he said.

“It (AFLX) is not aimed at them, it’s aimed at a younger demographic.

“I’d encourage having an open mind towards it. We’re really excited about it.”

And now, a word from Patrick Dangerfield...

“It’s been interesting seeing just how many negative articles there has been and the personal opinion of those journalists,” he said.

“It (AFLX) is not aimed at them, it’s aimed at a younger demographic.

“I’d encourage having an open mind towards it. We’re really excited about it.”

What he really means is:

"I was asked if I was interested in captaining a team in this format to which I umm'ed and arr'ed about, I was understandable hesitant to take part in this Mickey Mouse format so close to the start of the season.

Then they offered me $50k which I realised is a good start for my new child's education fund and I reconsidered my initial answer of no.

As I've now said yes I'm getting totally behind the concept and going to back it in every chance I get."

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back