Prediction Will AFLX survive another year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta admit I didn't watch it. But driving to the shop on the radio I think Huddo forgot he was on air for a second.
Someone goes Do you think this is something the kids will embrace?
And Huddo flat out goes NAAAAAHHHHH!
Then was or ummm or yeah I suppose their close to their heroes.
Then I walked into the bottleO and it was on the TV on the counter,
I go to chick on the counter Are you watching this?
And she goes NAAAAAHHHHH! Just like Huddo.
Was quite funny.

I watched a bit of it. No great shakes there. Pity they couldn't play against Ireland in the pre-season. AFLX looks like a more hybridised version of Gaelic footy anyway, why not bring the lads from Ireland over for a best of five?

I think we can all agree this isn't going to survive as a top-flight comp.
If the kids like playing it, and they start taking it up as a shortened version of our game, it might survive.
Touch is very popular, so is futsal.
But you never see them played in prime time.
That's where AFLX might thrive...as a weekday filler like futsal and touch.

Not sure why they don't sell this as what it is, the AFL equivalent of the NFL pro bowl. Complete with ridiculously bright uniforms, a "light contact" version of the actual game with some rule changes, etc. thrown into the mix to make it high scoring and just a highlight of players ridiculous skills. I have no real problem with it, in fact if we are showing off the skills of players, having higher scoring zones on the boundaries (as well as from X far out) would showcase skills even more. Any easy to follow rules like that, why not? 30 points from 65m out - ITS BARREL TIME!

I also don't mind games like it for keeping old fat people like me playing the game and also for a schoolyard / PE version that can be played with a lot less people on more venues around the country. Mixed, social leagues, are not a bad idea. My body is too broken to play AFL, but I wouldn't mind some Tuesday night AFLX with a couple of beers after!

Side note: It makes me laugh that most AFL fans don't vote with their wallets, feet or mouths when it comes to the AFL handing out ridiculous concessions to clubs (draft picks, salary cap, "marketing money", etc). They are fine with rule changes that aren't about safety, but are about trying to increase revenue by providing more breaks for advertisements. The AFL create fixtures (including finals) ignoring their own rule book, on a system that isn't a system at all. tFans are okay with a tribunal system that makes no sense and a rule book that contradicts itself on every page. AFL fans are not only fine with the utter garbage of corruption masquerading as incompetence to not only accept it, but often defend it - "its a unique part of our unique game".

Play a mickey mouse game of touch football at the start of the year and people are up in arms. To be honest, like most things in the world, I would say people have their priorities all wrong. I love footy, but like religion and your political party, most fans follow along blindly and won't acknowledge that it is one of the most, if not the most, corrupt major sporting codes in the world. No other sporting body makes up rules to suit themselves like the AFL and no other supporter base buys into the PR spin more than AFL supporters ("we need to corrupt the draft and salary cap for 10-35 years to grow the game" - yep, I know my enjoyment of a sport is based entirely on whether a group of people who don't give a f*** about the sport grow to like it. Lets corrupt the very fundamentals of why a sporting organisation exists - to create a rule book that is applied equally - so some rich dudes can make more money).

Yeah, AFLX is the problem. *walks off and buries his head in the sand*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back