Will Aker make it as a pro golfer?

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Poulter just stopped playing competitions and in the UK only competition rounds count towards your handicap so his handicap didn't change for years while he worked on his game before becoming pro.

He wasn't the level of a 4 handicap when he turned pro.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Whether it's a quirk or not, he was still a 4 handicapper.

Same with Poulter, he was a 4 handicapper because he couldn't play in comps, but he was still a 4 handicapper.

I think we all agree on one thing.

Poulter and Marsh were miles better at golf than Aker could ever possibly be...

Last edited:

Danger2Jenkins

Knight of the Teutonic Order
Oct 17, 2019
Moe Heights
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Moe Bushrangers
I think the real question is will he make it as a civil human being. But at least he doesn't belong in prison like Hall and Matthews

Doc Hattori

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2008
Taylors Lakes
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ackers is 31 over par after 3 rounds. The leader is 4 under so he's going to need his magic pencil & abacus in the final round.

Having seen both he and Goddard play, there is no comparison. Ackers is fundamentally a hacker with better than average hand/ eye. There would be several golfers as good or better in every single club in Australia. Goddard on the other hand is pretty good and would have a chance of making something of a pro career.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Poor Aker, always getting banned and fired and kicked out of places for all these innocent misunderstandings.
The levels of persecution towards the bloke are incredible. Booted from 2 AFL clubs and now 3 golf courses in different states over absolutely nothing. Poor Aker.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Ackers is 31 over par after 3 rounds. The leader is 4 under so he's going to need his magic pencil & abacus in the final round.

Having seen both he and Goddard play, there is no comparison. Ackers is fundamentally a hacker with better than average hand/ eye. There would be several golfers as good or better in every single club in Australia. Goddard on the other hand is pretty good and would have a chance of making something of a pro career.

Imagine Goddard getting a bad bounce, or a lip out.

He'd carry on like Spalding Smails on Caddyshack. Divot city.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I've known a number of junior golfers who played off plus handicaps who never got close to becoming pro despite pouring hours and hours into coaching and practice. Acker's game would need to improve substantially to even have a chance at qualifying. Being in his forties that's highly unlikely

craigvn123

Senior List
Oct 1, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Golfers turn pro with higher handicaps than 1, i'm fairly sure Graham Marsh was a 4 handicapper and he did ok.

Graham Marsh was definitely not 4 when he turned pro, probably a plus marker as he already had some elite amateur wins under his belt. Historically there were some guys that had a 3-4 handicap when turning pro, but these guys left school at 15 or 16 and became an assistant pro for a number of years, by the time they were competitive. Lonard is an example.

Aka has been going at this for years and still is only off 1 so he is basically no chance, there are half a dozen guys at my club alone off one or better. Unless you are shooting 60's almost all of the time you are not even in the ballpark.

craigvn123

Senior List
Oct 1, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Poulter just stopped playing competitions and in the UK only competition rounds count towards your handicap so his handicap didn't change for years while he worked on his game before becoming pro.

He wasn't the level of a 4 handicap when he turned pro.

This is correct, Poulters handicap when he turned pro is a bit of an urban legend. If he submitted any cards would have been plus handicap easily. He still became an assistant club pro before getting on tour.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
On the QLD PGA event they just were speaking to Brendan Goddard and he said his best ever handicap was +4 (he is now at scratch as he said he hasn't been that good recently).

If he got to +4, I'm guessing were it not for footy he absolutely would have been good enough to go pro and probably be decent.

Doc Hattori

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2008
Taylors Lakes
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Akers had 91 at Curlewis in trying to qualify for the Vic Open recently. Repeat 91. The leader was about 3 under = 69, Second last was several shots ahead of Akers. Cannot believe he even got in as you needed a Kosher handicap <2 to even get to play.

My mate (who's judgement I trust & is a good Lions man) has played with Akers several times & basically says he's a hack let alone an alleged "cheat. I've seen Brendon Goddard play also at Curlewis in Blitz Golf last year. He is bloody good. Seriously good. He was square for 6 holes (including a lost ball on a par 5 which he subsequently parred i.e. 3 with his second ball) playing with Matt Millar who is a serious Aust tour player and Goddard didn't look out of place.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Handicap systems have changed and a 1 marker today is probably a 4 in the old system. What Aker should aim for is the Seniors Tour. At 50 with 8 years of Competitive Golf under his belt he might be able to make $10000 a year. Still unlikely as a Pro he is a thousand to 1. At his age he could make a very good Croquet Player.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
jason-akermanis-for-the-lions-clashes-with-josh-carr-for-the-power-picture-id51356413

he'd be about as good at being a pro-golfer as he is at wrestling

Back