Will Alex Rance Ruin Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking about this one

firstly Richmond is a system based team and it has been shown that Dylan Grimes is the best player they have at taking on the goal keeper role in that system. We saw how important chemistry was in that system and it is hard to see how an ego as big as Rance fits back into that.

Secondly Rance can’t defend one on one. We have seen the likes of Harry Taylor and Josh Jenkins kick bags on him and he is almost always beaten one on one by his direct opponent.

firstly Richmond is a system based team and it has been shown that Dylan Grimes is the best player they have at taking on the goal keeper role in that system. We saw how important chemistry was in that system and it is hard to see how an ego as big as Rance fits back into that.

Secondly Rance can’t defend one on one. We have seen the likes of Harry Taylor and Josh Jenkins kick bags on him and he is almost always beaten one on one by his direct opponent.
Credit to you for tributing your previous stupidity with this piss take.
Well played.

A quick google search shows he was in fact the best one-on-one defender in the league in 2014, third best in 2017 and best again in 2018 (at least until half way through the year, when the article was written).

Grimes is better one-on-one now though which should free up Rance more next year to do what he does best in peel off his man and intercept ;)

Fail.

Yep, 5x AA Alex Rance returning is a massive negative.

One on one will get exposed.

Cant defend like a Baker, Short or Ellis

I've finally worked it out.

He's a Richmond fan.

if so its excellent

there was a general anti Lynch to Richmond feeling at the time from the salty neutrals. OP played it like Lebron

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You forgot Mason Cox

Does a player like Rance who gets himself to so many contests, at such a ferocity, actually stunt the players around him to where they're second guessing themselves to the point where he has a negative influence on the system and players around him? That would be a better question imo.

I've thought the same about Dangerfield, and I would say only if the system is so bad that they allow it to happen that way, otherwise he and the other players are drilled to know where each other are and their strengths and weaknesses.

The only problem would come if a guy like Grimes was getting under paid because of the nature of Rance, but I'm sure the club are well aware of this and pay the players appropriately to gel together.

BTW Grimes struggles against strong overhead marking opp's as much as Rance does, it's Astbury who takes those types, but as M Cox and others have shown it's still our backlines biggest weakness.

Does a player like Rance who gets himself to so many contests, at such a ferocity, actually stunt the players around him to where they're second guessing themselves to the point where he has a negative influence on the system and players around him? That would be a better question imo.

I've thought the same about Dangerfield, and I would say only if the system is so bad that they allow it to happen that way, otherwise he and the other players are drilled to know where each other are and their strengths and weaknesses.

The only problem would come if a guy like Grimes was getting under paid because of the nature of Rance, but I'm sure the club are well aware of this and pay the players appropriately to gel together.

BTW Grimes struggles against strong overhead marking opp's as much as Rance does, it's Astbury who takes those types, but as M Cox and others have shown it's still our backlines biggest weakness.
The one thing you can't teach is size. It's why Astbury at 195/96 will always take the opposition's big forward, usually regardless of ability.

Grimes is strong, but he is more a brilliant technical defender, however at 193/87 he physically isn't built as an ideal opponent for the gorillas like Hawkins, or the giants like Cox.

I'd read a few threads from the OP, knew he wasn't a Geelong supporter, but wasn't sure who he followed. My money is now firmly on Richmond.

The Dazzlington Brisbane alias they had made me lean towards Fitzroy supporter turned nihilistic troll, but he certainly knows his Tigers. Might be onto something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back