Will Australia ever have a meaningful third major party?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Australian Conservatives.
Well, I guess of they rip the Libs to shreds even more than Abbott is doing that would be some sort of meaning. I can't see them becoming the other end of the spectrum's version of the Greens though; which is basically what would be required to achieve more than the current seat count.

Bernardi might get back, and probably will do so if Xenophon gets booted by the HC and contests the next half-Senate election. If they go head to head for the sixth senate seat, Xenophon probably gets it. But that's it (depending on other defectors, or a big name).

Australian politics has alway been and will always be Labour versus anti-Labo(u)r, in all their guises.

The Greens had an opportunity to be the significant 3rd party but they were over run by the pretenders that used to be called the Democrats and missed their chance. Now, the ALP offer far more sensible "green" type policies for no other reason than the Greens are still infested with the fairies-at-the-bottom-of-the-garden types and the vast majority of Australians aren't receptive to big change so, the Greens have reached their maximum I believe.

The Australian Conservatives, Liberal/National coalition, Hanson, Xenophon etc etc etc can use all the bullshit they like to try and convince us that they stand for something different than the Liberal/National coalition but the truth is, they are just anti-Labo(u)r.

A ban on corporate donations would go a long way to achieving that (unions would fall under this ban).
Rudd tried to divorce Labor from the unions, had no luck.

Look at the effect Miliband had by changing the rules. Made a dramatic difference to the party and gave control to momentum/corbyn which would previously have been unthinkable. Law of unintended consequences?

I think its certainly arguable it has got more people engaged in politics compared to the previous (and current Tory) policy of simply imposing candidates on local party members regardless of who they wanted.

Bernardi might get back, and probably will do so if Xenophon gets booted by the HC and contests the next half-Senate election. If they go head to head for the sixth senate seat, Xenophon probably gets it. But that's it (depending on other defectors, or a big name).

Bernardi comes across as just another loud mouth God bothering campaigner though. Like a really poor man's Abbott.

Last edited:
Bernardi comes across as just another loud mouth God bothering campaigner though. Like a really poor man's Abbott.

I think he's brighter than that and he has a plan.

He was creating some mischief today about abortion and sure enough some right wing Liberal turds voted with him, along with Hanson's lot.

I think he's brighter than that and he has a plan.

He was creating some mischief today about abortion and sure enough some right wing Liberal turds voted with him, along with Hanson's lot.
If I was him I'd be trying to play Hanson at the moment. He'll get some fringe Liberals on board on some issues but at the election the Conservatives will be going up against One Nation.

If I was him I'd be trying to play Hanson at the moment. He'll get some fringe Liberals on board on some issues but at the election the Conservatives will be going up against One Nation.

Will be an interesting battle of right wing turds.

BTW congrats on the strong YES vote. Hopefully reasonable legislation can be passed shortly.

Best move Fiona Patton made was change the bame of the Australian Sex Party to the Reason Party. Don Chipp's daughter is running in the Northcote by election as an independent but only because the name change hadn't been formally registered by the time the nominations closed.

Long way to go of course but Patton is starting to make a name for herself other than the leader of the Sex Party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, it's called the Nationals.

People will say "oh they're not a real major party because of the Coalition agreement", but they're a fair reflection of what happens to any third party of consequence. You're either in the centre like the Democrats and get torched the minute you pick a side, or you only have one natural coalition partner so you may as well make the marriage permanent as soon as you regularly need each other to govern.

The next major party in Australia will be whatever replaces the ALP, once the left side of politics gets jack of an ever-shrinking union movement telling them what to do.

Best move Fiona Patton made was change the bame of the Australian Sex Party to the Reason Party. Don Chipp's daughter is running in the Northcote by election as an independent but only because the name change hadn't been formally registered by the time the nominations closed.

Long way to go of course but Patton is starting to make a name for herself other than the leader of the Sex Party.

I thought Sex Party officially folded and she registered a new party. What's the story behind it? Get jack of the Eros Association telling her what to do?

I thought Sex Party officially folded and she registered a new party. What's the story behind it? Get jack of the Eros Association telling her what to do?
I think the story behind it is that they realised that the Sex Party name was ultimately doing more harm than good to their chances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back