Will Brisbane make the 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon they just might hang on.

A lot will be determined how they'll handle the injuries and fatigue towards the end of the season but the signs are good with their start.

I reckon they just might hang on.

A lot will be determined how they'll handle the injuries and fatigue towards the end of the season but the signs are good with their start.
Well I mean last few years our post-bye form has been far better than the first half of the season. Would say its more of living up to expectation now that microscope is being shown last year and not shying away as we did against Collingwood in the bigger games

Here's my finals scenario if Brisbane make the top 8

Brisbane - 7th

Elimination Final V West Coast - Optus Stadium
West Coast vs Brisbane.jpg

West Coast lead the majority of the game with the Lions trailing by 2-3 goals in an arm wrestle. In the 3rd Quarter West Coast extend their lead to a 26 point margin at 3 quarter time. The Lions surge and mount a comeback, capitalizing on West Coasts inconsistent use of the ball. 9 Seconds remain in 4th quarter, the Lions trail by 4 points. The umpire calls a stoppage 35 meters out of goal in West Coats 50,players flood around the ruck contest. Martin taps the ball to ground, Rayner picks the ball up, fends a tackle and turns onto his preferred side and snaps a desperate kick for goal before the siren narrowly scrapping through for a goal to win the game for the Lions in an upset and a finals classic in Perth. The Lions advance into the semi finals against GWS or Collingwood.

Final Score
West Coast Eagles - 127
Brisbane Lions - 129

original.jpeg WEBRAYNERpraisedtaemmates.jpg it-looked-like-a-training-run-nick-riewoldt-slams-west-coast-eagles-after-geelong-loss.jpg

Semi Final V Collingwood - MCG
Collingwood vs Brisbane.jpg
The Lions have a surprising strong opening to the match against Collingwood, by winning the 1st quarter with Eric Hipwood kicking a set shot after the siren to give the Lions back the lead heading into quarter time. Collingwood would lift and lead for the rest of the game with the Lions remaining competitive and within striking distance trailing by 3-4 goals until 3 quarter time. However, in the 4th quarter Collingwood are too strong and kick away finish the game with a 37 point margin over the Lions. The Lions 2019 season ends here but have far exceeded expectations and have shown they are developing into a strong premiership contender in seasons to come.

Final Score
Collingwood - 116
Brisbane Lions - 79

iStock-466373598re-size.jpg 7aba90c7f0384c925c11c8716de94903.jpg 3ca8bce88c10e1a1dc9455131f7c9fb3.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my finals scenario if Brisbane make the top 8

Brisbane - 7th

Elimination Final V West Coast - Optus Stadium

West Coast lead the majority of the game with the Lions trailing by 2-3 goals in an arm wrestle. In the 3rd Quarter West Coast extend their lead to a 26 point margin at 3 quarter time. The Lions surge and mount a comeback, capitalizing on West Coasts inconsistent use of the ball. 9 Seconds remain in 4th quarter, the Lions trail by 4 points. The umpire calls a stoppage 35 meters out of goal in West Coats 50,players flood around the ruck contest. Martin taps the ball to ground, Rayner picks the ball up, fends a tackle and turns onto his preferred side and snaps a desperate kick for goal before the siren narrowly scrapping through for a goal to win the game for the Lions in an upset and a finals classic in Perth. The Lions advance into the semi finals against GWS or Collingwood.

Final Score
West Coast Eagles - 127
Brisbane Lions - 129

Semi Final V Collingwood - MCG

The Lions have a surprising strong opening to the match against Collingwood, by winning the 1st quarter with Eric Hipwood kicking a set shot after the siren to give the Lions back the lead heading into quarter time. Collingwood would lift and lead for the rest of the game with the Lions remaining competitive and within striking distance trailing by 3-4 goals until 3 quarter time. However, in the 4th quarter Collingwood are too strong and kick away finish the game with a 37 point margin over the Lions. The Lions 2019 season ends here but have far exceeded expectations and have shown they are developing into a strong premiership contender in seasons to come.

Final Score
Collingwood - 116
Brisbane Lions - 79
A wet dream that concluded in nightmarish fashion.

Lions have 6 more home games, of which we should win 5 on current form. That gives us 11 wins. We'd need at least two away wins to be assured of getting finals this year.

Away games remaining:
R10 Freo
R12 Carlton
R14 St Kilda
R16 GWS
R17 Port
R19 Hawthorn (Launceston)
R23 Richmond

I'm cautiously optimistic. We should beat Carlton and probably St Kilda. We have a good recent record against Hawthorn but we won't take them by surprise this year, so who knows. The others will be tricky and may come down to injuries.

If we don't beat St Kilda we probably don't deserve to get finals, but we should still set ourselves up for a 10-12 win season that would well exceed my preseason expectations.

As long as they don't get hit with injuries, I'm very confident they'll be there. If Essendon click into the form side of the comp, then someone would have to make way, but there are a few other shaky sides in the 8 who could suddenly hit a patch of losses. I can't see a 10th side forcing Brisbane out, certainly not Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo and Essendon will give it a shake in the second half.

Saints and Bulldogs unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Hawks I cant see them making it.

I kind of feel like Freo, Saints & Dogs got a few early wins and are now dropping back to their level.

Essendon could conceivably make it but they have too many key injuries for it to "click" in the second half of the year for mine.

It's possible the Lions season falls apart when we hit the depths of winter but I think the current top 8 are now the best 8 teams. Not sure which teams outside the 8 have a dream fixture from here, that will play a part.

Can we make the eight? Absolutely!

Will we make the eight? Don't know but not knowing the answer beats the hell out of knowing for sure you won't, being a star in the 'who will be bottom four in 20xx' threads, already looking towards draft night for the major season accomplishment, and especially avoiding those annoying posts after a rare win castigating the team for winning and thus taking us further away from draft pick 1 ... oh and I am pretty sure we will get to avoid another season's entertaining debate on 'should the Lions get a priority pick this year'.

Personally I would love to have my own team to barrack for in September again!

They've got as good a chance as anyone, season is still majorly up for grabs and the teams that take advantage of that will greatly succeed

If the Lions win in Perth you'd have to start penciling them in. Very few wins for the Lions there, ever. Although we have a 100% record at the new stadium har-de-har-har

Might sneak into the 8 they have a pretty even side. Big game for them this week.

But doubt they can do any finals damage

Beat Fremantle and they have a big chance at 7-3. Lose and they’re amongst the pack. Teams out of the 8 right now not much chop tbh. Will be fighting for last 2 spots in eight.

If we win away this week and back that up with a win against Hawks at home, we'll start firming up on top 8 calculations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back