Recommitted Will Brodie [re-signed until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

But to be honest, I was hoping we were sniffing around.

Probably actually why he re-signed to be honest. Saw our performance on the weekend and thought that even Gold Coast looked the better option.

Gee, fascinating one this. I find this as surprising as Brayden Preuss choosing to move to a club with an AA ruckman in his prime for more opportunities. I thought Brodie was a sure-thing to move at the end of this season.

I think the jury is out on Brodie as an AFL footballer. He has obvious gifts and is a deadset magnet - but has really had very little opportunity to show his stuff at the Sun over the past few years, due to (presumably) other elements of his game they need him to work on. Likely two-way running, kicking, decision-making. I think he'll make it, but it's not a great sign being unable to hold a spot in their struggling line-up.

I guess sticking at the Suns could be a good or bad thing. It might indicate a certain satisfaction or acceptance of not being quite good enough (glass half empty), or it might show a steely resolve to improve on things he can and take ownership of a place in the side (glass half full).

Best of luck to him and the Suns anyway. Just an interesting situation to me.

Towards the end of the season he had found his place and strung some good games together now that he was doing everything that was being asked of him, just unfortunate that he hurt his ankle for the rest of the season. I imagine will be a big part of our midfield, and will be there Rd 1 2020. That draft nuclease of a few years ago of Ainsworth, Brodie and Bowes will be important going forward.

Put me down as another who thought he was gone for all money - the chatter on the GC board a few months ago about him wasn't overly positive.

Happy to see him stay, good signs seeing him, Rankine and MacPherson (among others) commit longer term.

Brodie is a pure inside midfielder. Even the idiot Rocket said it will take 3-4 years for him to develop (tank, other parts of the game).

If his last game before injury against Carlton (best Suns player) is any indication we can look forward to his performances next year.

Why? It seems impossible for some fans to even consider that his loves his teammates, the club, Gold Coast.

Not really. Would just like to know how much Gold Coast paid for his signature.
So he got paid 200k, 400k, 600k
If you don't know what kind of player / level of performance he had later in the year - how do any of these numbers mean anything to you? If you don't know his value, how can you assess what an overpay is - clearly what you're insinuating.

I'd suggest he got rewarded for the work that he has put in, the performance to date and his upside.
Chairman Cochrane has said in public we have to pay a premium to keep players at the moment - and mentioned 15% as an estimated figure - hopefully with a number of guys re-signing people are starting to see a core group moving forward, the performance that will come with that - and are signing on without that extra bonus.

So he got paid 200k, 400k, 600k
If you don't know what kind of player / level of performance he had later in the year - how do any of these numbers mean anything to you? If you don't know his value, how can you assess what an overpay is - clearly what you're insinuating.

I'd suggest he got rewarded for the work that he has put in, the performance to date and his upside.
Chairman Cochrane has said in public we have to pay a premium to keep players at the moment - and mentioned 15% as an estimated figure - hopefully with a number of guys re-signing people are starting to see a core group moving forward, the performance that will come with that - and are signing on without that extra bonus.
Interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back