Traded Will Brodie [traded with #19, #61, #69 to Fremantle for F2, F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Tigers are very keen on Brodie, I wonder if they would entertain moving on Rioli? He seems to have stagnated this season. Maybe a fresh start out of the bubble?

If the Tigers are very keen on Brodie, I wonder if they would entertain moving on Rioli? He seems to have stagnated this season. Maybe a fresh start out of the bubble?
Wouldn't get past ainsworth or sexton let alone rankine right now and as much as Holman is average he brings bodywork and blocking. Doubt gc would need him as a forward or a mid.

Would be an odd choice for him to head to Richmond for more opportunity though.

Not particularly. Outaide of Prestia, we don't have a solid grunt working midfielder. And even then, we don't have one that bashes and crashes in hard. Cotchin only got a couple years left (if his hamnies hold up) and our midfield is probably our weakest area at the moment. Jury still out on plauers like Graham and Ross, Dow and RCD are untried at the level. Brodie offers a tall, big bodied mid that we are desperately lacking.

Probably not, especially as we are likely to commit to Maurice Rioli Jr. with a later pick this year. Having Daniel there will help settle him in.

Surprised that he didn't go at end of last contract. Still 2 years to go but Victorian clubs should be circling again.

Can't get past a similar big body in the middle in Greenwood.

Richmond very keen.

He spent time with their VFL program (while at Scotch College) prior to being drafted and they really rated him.

Was also a big Tigers fan growing up IIRC.

Richmond also have a good trading relationship with GC / Craig Cameron connection.

Smart Boy ;)

I wouldnt be against Brodie at Richmond as he is the type of player we do need with only 2 'Big' inside mids at the club in the younger bracket with just RCD & Ross that size and Cotchin getting older with his hammie's starting to show signs of future issue's.

Only thing is his salary of $400k a year as he would certainly need a haircut with the salary cap reductions but i dont believe GC would demand a huge pick to let him go possibly around the #30 range (2nd rounder)

Would love to know what 'Dad' would think about him playing for the Tigers ?

Smart Boy ;)

I wouldnt be against Brodie at Richmond as he is the type of player we do need with only 2 'Big' inside mids at the club in the younger bracket with just RCD & Ross that size and Cotchin getting older with his hammie's starting to show signs of future issue's.

Only thing is his salary of $400k a year as he would certainly need a haircut with the salary cap reductions but i dont believe GC would demand a huge pick to let him go possibly around the #30 range (2nd rounder)

Would love to know what 'Dad' would think about him playing for the Tigers ?

Sydney Stack gettable instead of a 2nd rd pick?

In essence Stack gets you a pick 9, 22yo tall big bodied inside mid... am I doing this right! ;)

No chance.

Is Brodie actually any good? Or just big?

Only played 8 games last season but finds the ball with ease. Has been working on disposal and defensive efforts, but still not enough to get an opportunity in the seniors since Rd1.

Potential is huge. But no idea if he fulfils it.

26428B1E-8957-4061-AF35-5C0F1ECE430A.jpeg

Reserves match reports this season

Will Brodie:

Will impacted the game well playing a mix of midfield and forward. He had nine score involvements and looked very dangerous when playing in our forward line. Will is usually very strong at stoppages but was beaten this week inside so will look to focus on this Thursday against the Dogs.

Will Brodie:

Wiz played most of the game as an inside midfielder for us. He won some good balls around the contest but was inconsistent at stoppages due to body work and handball execution. Will sets a high standard for himself so will be wanting to have more of an impact in this area on the weekend.

Will Brodie:

Will had another solid game this weekend as an inside midfielder and is winning the ball well at stoppages. He’s been working hard on the defensive aspect of his game and it was pleasing to see a few examples of excellent defensive work-rate from Will. This will need to remain a strong focus to push for senior selection.

Will Brodie:

Will played as an inside mid and continues to have a positive impact at stoppages. He was strong offensively and help set up seven scoring shots. Will continues to play with strong defensive intent and needs to be consistent with this to earn an AFL recall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If whats been reported yesterdays is correct about Gold Coast wanting Nathan Broad this could get interesting with the Brodie situation and could be a decent trade for both teams. Brodie / Broad maybe.

Whats the gold coast supporters opinion with this

If whats been reported yesterdays is correct about Gold Coast wanting Nathan Broad this could get interesting with the Brodie situation and could be a decent trade for both teams. Brodie / Broad maybe.

One out of contract and the other signed two years contract, hard to give opinion. All depend on how many players out of contract Richmond intend to keep and Brodie two years extension salary.
Edit : if me I will do the swap. Pre listed Alex Davies, Jeffrey and draft one more first round pick.

Last edited:

A 28 year old with big game experience who would fit straight into our 22

for

A highly rated 22 year old who has clear strengths
7/8 games last year he recorded >20 possessions, also averaged 5 tackles.
Also has clear weaknesses which is preventing him from getting into the team.

Broad would clearly make our team better than Brodie but I can't help but feel we're giving up the best 'asset'
We've got Alex Davies coming through so from that perspective makes sense to move Brodie on for something we need.

Would be a great move for Richmond IMO. Although future midfield with Brodie / RCD / Ross / Graham - it's almost a little Gold Coasty

Straight swap Brodie/Broad is actually a pretty even deal, though you'd have to cover a chunk of his ridiculous salary for it to work for us.

In saying that, I really don't want to lose Broad. He's become a rock in defense for us. I think he's going to follow his mate Brando though and take the extra money on offer.

A 28 year old with big game experience who would fit straight into our 22

for

A highly rated 22 year old who has clear strengths
7/8 games last year he recorded >20 possessions, also averaged 5 tackles.
Also has clear weaknesses which is preventing him from getting into the team.

Broad would clearly make our team better than Brodie but I can't help but feel we're giving up the best 'asset'
We've got Alex Davies coming through so from that perspective makes sense to move Brodie on for something we need.

Would be a great move for Richmond IMO. Although future midfield with Brodie / RCD / Ross / Graham - it's almost a little Gold Coasty
Brodie the bloke that hasn't been able to cement a spot in a GC side that has been largely pathetic compared to a bloke that cemented a spot in two premiership sides and has only got better and better to a point where he has probably been our best defender this year bar maybe vlastuin. Can play on any size player.

One team would be giving up an asset and it wouldn't be gc.

[
Straight swap Brodie/Broad is actually a pretty even deal, though you'd have to cover a chunk of his ridiculous salary for it to work for us.

In saying that, I really don't want to lose Broad. He's become a rock in defense for us. I think he's going to follow his mate Brando though and take the extra money on offer.
How much you willing to paid for Brodie salary ?

I haven't read these articles that are quoting Brodie and Broad's salaries? Have they been published.
What are Gold Coast offering Broad and what is he on at Richmond?

Brodie the bloke that hasn't been able to cement a spot in a GC side that has been largely pathetic compared to a bloke that cemented a spot in two premiership sides and has only got better and better to a point where he has probably been our best defender this year bar maybe vlastuin. Can play on any size player.

One team would be giving up an asset and it wouldn't be gc.
Yeah, obviously Broad has the runs on the board. If you are trying to say who is the better player right now, there is no question, obviously its Broad.
I think clubs probably look at what they can get out of a player going forward more so than what a player has done in the past.
I'm looking at what does each player provide to their teams over the next 10 years.

Could pan out numerous different ways but I reckon the most likely scenario is
Broad comes in and plays for 3 years ~60 games and is a very solid defender
Brodie gets games ahead of some of your up and coming inside mids (ie. RCD / Ross). Forms part of the midfield rotation for the next 8 years, plays 150 games. May not reach top 10 talent heights but no doubt he can play an inside mid role.

Obviously it could pan out completely different
- Brodie may end up a Dom Tyson, he may end up a Michael Barlow, he may end up a Hugh Greenwood
- Broad could play for another 5 years and 100 games and be an integral part of a side that goes deep into September.

Yeah, obviously Broad has the runs on the board. If you are trying to say who is the better player right now, there is no question, obviously its Broad.
I think clubs probably look at what they can get out of a player going forward more so than what a player has done in the past.
I'm looking at what does each player provide to their teams over the next 10 years.

Could pan out numerous different ways but I reckon the most likely scenario is
Broad comes in and plays for 3 years ~60 games and is a very solid defender
Brodie gets games ahead of some of your up and coming inside mids (ie. RCD / Ross). Forms part of the midfield rotation for the next 8 years, plays 150 games. May not reach top 10 talent heights but no doubt he can play an inside mid role.

Obviously it could pan out completely different
- Brodie may end up a Dom Tyson, he may end up a Michael Barlow, he may end up a Hugh Greenwood
- Broad could play for another 5 years and 100 games and be an integral part of a side that goes deep into September.
Yeah I'd hope we wouldn't give up a best 22 player for a speculative mid who still cant hold down a spot in his 4th season.

Id prefer we pump the games into dow and rcd who have huge potential and know the system already.

Any chance Sexton would leave?

Yeah I'd hope we wouldn't give up a best 22 player for a speculative mid who still cant hold down a spot in his 4th season.

Id prefer we pump the games into dow and rcd who have huge potential and know the system already.

Any chance Sexton would leave?
Yeah, whilst you guys are in the window it probably doesn't make sense to give up someone who helps you now for someone who would help you in the future.
Perhaps fast forward 2 years and this is the kind of trade you want to be making.

Speculative / huge potential. Pretty much two different ways to say the same thing depending on what side of the fence you sit.

Sexton, doubt it. He's a Logan boy - region between GC and Brisbane, in the leadership group.
To be honest, I don't rate him that high though. Don't think he's the kind of player that a successful team has. He is quick, good endurance, great crumber, can kick it 55m and is a good set shot, particularly from distance. Tends to burn team mates though, pretty poor defensive pressure, runs really hard 1 way.

Whilst we as supporters woudnt be wanting to give up favourite players that have been loyal and played in good times fact is they will get offers we just cant match and im thinking he would be getting around the $500k x 3/4 years so has every right to go.

Brodie is still young and has had injuries and has not really worked for him at GC and sometimes a different club / coaches senior players make a difference to players and they come on which i believe he will and is the exact type we need and at the perfect age to compliment our younger brigade whilst offering something we dont have and thats a 190cm strong inside mid that gets the ball and extracts it out.

Brodie would be willing to leave and would love to come to Richmond as he spent time at Punt rd in his jnr years prior to getting drafted and i believe is a Richmond supporter. His contract would probably be renegotiated and he would have to take a cut and usually the kids do this to get to a big club.

Whilst we as supporters woudnt be wanting to give up favourite players that have been loyal and played in good times fact is they will get offers we just cant match and im thinking he would be getting around the $500k x 3/4 years so has every right to go.

Brodie is still young and has had injuries and has not really worked for him at GC and sometimes a different club / coaches senior players make a difference to players and they come on which i believe he will and is the exact type we need and at the perfect age to compliment our younger brigade whilst offering something we dont have and thats a 190cm strong inside mid that gets the ball and extracts it out.

Brodie would be willing to leave and would love to come to Richmond as he spent time at Punt rd in his jnr years prior to getting drafted and i believe is a Richmond supporter. His contract would probably be renegotiated and he would have to take a cut and usually the kids do this to get to a big club.
Deal straight swap , salary your negotiate with Brodie if he want to go to big club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back