Traded Will Brodie [traded with #19, #61, #69 to Fremantle for F2, F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

So they give a young player away so they can move down the draft order?

I get why they did it but this is still a major loss anyway you slice it for GC

It isn't though, they have moved a grand total of what 5-8 spots to next years draft and in the process have saved a lot of money. They will need to have some money when Luco comes out of contract. Anderson too actually, and there is always King who will command a bucket!

They overpaid for Brodie that was previous management though it is like what you guys did with Wingard and what we did with Sinclair

Wingard is top 3 in our team and plays every single week when fit. In what way is Brodie similar? At what point in Brodie's career has he shown even 2 weeks in a row of good football?

There is now money that can be offered to players they want keep for next year, signing them early. Rather than waiting for them to come out of contract and running the Gambit.
Would expect a few contract extensions to be sorted before the season gets underway
Why would they? You would at least wait till mid season to see how the Suns go before signing a new contract. Rankine and Lukosius would be targeted heavily by Adelaide who will have the picks to secure one of them and King will be weighing up on either staying or going home. Money only helps Gold Coast if they can have some success in the first half of the year. But Draft picks for next year indicates that possibly one of the three will leave (maybe even two) and they are building a war chest to use in case of emergency. As I stated in my original post.
It's smart of Gold Coast to get more picks next year but to give away pick 19 for essentially nothing isn't smart.

Why would they? You would at least wait till mid season to see how the Suns go before signing a new contract. Rankine and Lukosius would be targeted heavily by Adelaide who will have the picks to secure one of them and King will be weighing up on either staying or going home. Money only helps Gold Coast if they can have some success in the first half of the year. But Draft picks for next year indicates that possibly one of the three will leave (maybe even two) and they are building a war chest to use in case of emergency. As I stated in my original post.
It's smart of Gold Coast to get more picks next year but to give away pick 19 for essentially nothing isn't smart.
We swapped our second round pick this year for freos next year. Where’s the nothing?

I don’t understand how everyone here not getting the ins and out on this trade. It’s pretty straight forward.
Removing cap off our bottom line to help us retain players for next year.
nah youre right. gc is a well run club and significantly downgrading draft picks while giving away playesr is a great move :thumbsu:

Freo have done really well here, got him for basically nothing other than moving picks forward into this years draft.

Suns list management feels so poor when you're having to let go a former pick 9 for virtually nothing because your cap is so tight from overpaying young or average players..

We swapped our second round pick this year for freos next year. Where’s the nothing?
the nothing is that freo's second round next year will at best be the same number pick, most likely 7-10 picks worse.

its like buying a lottery ticket where the number 1 prize is just the cost of the lottery ticket back.

the nothing is that freo's second round next year will at best be the same number pick, most likely 7-10 picks worse.

its like buying a lottery ticket where the number 1 prize is just the cost of the lottery ticket back.
You’re looking at the pick.
I’m looking at getting rid of a reserves player not getting a game at 600k off our books

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You didn't need to, Swapping a pick 19 for possibly a pick 28-30 in next years draft just so you can free up money that you could delist next year doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Plus you gave two 4th rounders to get a future 4th. If St Kilda did this trade, every other Big Footy fan would be on here smashes us pillar to post and I would be right beside them. Terrible trade.

You’re looking at the pick.
I’m looking at getting rid of a reserves player not getting a game at 600k off our books
oh so what youre saying is that gc:
1 - paid a reserve player 600k a year
2 - traded away said player along with the best possible second round pick, for a worse second round pick, along with a handfull of other pick downgrades

and you think thats good business?

Leaving aside all the pick swap and salary cap shenanigans- I’m really keen to hear how Brodie actually goes on the field.

Looks like he has racked up some pretty good numbers in the reserves last season. Anyone seen him play and can give a good run down on strengths and weaknesses? From what I’ve heard a bit of a lower level Patrick Cripps type, big body contested player with ok but not elite disposal. Would that be about right?

Excited to see him in purple next year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

oh so what youre saying is that gc:
1 - paid a reserve player 600k a year
2 - traded away said player along with the best possible second round pick, for a worse second round pick, along with a handfull of other pick downgrades

and you think thats good business?
It’s good business for us.
It’s better then having the player on our list and having the best second round draft pick we were going to use.

Cal twomey has put the trade into perspective.

I’m in on giving this guy a chance. More so, because it seems we’re getting pick 19 and that unlocks everything.

I just cringe when a player has been in the system for 5 or so years and comments like ‘just needs to improve disposal and fitness’ are made. I’m sure he’s been made aware of his deficiencies. He’s getting $400k a year to work on them and hasn’t.

Will be interesting how it play out. I’m just seriously hoping Gold Coast have fallen way short of developing him.

Rankine was the one for me that I just thought would be the next big thing and he’s stalled quicker than Dogs did at the 17 minute mark of the 3rd term in GF.
He has improved his running.
30 second on in the pre season time trial last year (shows where he was coming from)

be interesting to see how he goes on a big Optus oval.

got some traits. Gets his hands on the ball and strong can win possession but not a runner and don’t think he’s that creative with his hands or particularly good in traffic.

taken a few marks in the forward line but shown little to no capacity to play as a forward.

very surprising to hear the dockers say he is a tall mid that has speed - because I’ve never seen that.

potential to be a player, few had stamped his papers however.. never really had a true opportunity unfortunately.

He has improved his running.
30 second on in the pre season time trial last year (shows where he was coming from)

be interesting to see how he goes on a big Optus oval.

got some traits. Gets his hands on the ball and strong can win possession but not a runner and don’t think he’s that creative with his hands or particularly good in traffic.

taken a few marks in the forward line but shown little to no capacity to play as a forward.

very surprising to hear the dockers say he is a tall mid that has speed - because I’ve never seen that.

potential to be a player, few had stamped his papers however.. never really had a true opportunity unfortunately.
To be considered fast for Fremantle you just need to not be injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back