NarniMagic

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
With Buddy on 899 and closing in on the 1000, I thought it would be a valid question to ask.
Buddy is really the only player in the modern era to get close to the total.

Before him in recent times, the only ones who really got close were Lloyd (926), Richo (800), Sav Rocca (748), Barry Hall (746) Nick Riewoldt (718) and Pavlich (700). Special mention has to also go to Fev who in a career cut short, got 623 @ 3.05 per game average.

That being said, many of those players had the majority of their careers in the late 90's/early 00's where games weren't quite as congested as today. In the modern era, players don't kick bags as frequently, you only need to look to the coleman medal winners in recent year to see how numbers have declined. Not to mention that apart from Buddy, there is no other current player that is even close to his total. No current player even breaks the 600 mark yet with Jack Riewoldt (546), Betts (534), Roughead (532) and Josh Kennedy (519) leading the way.

So basically... TLDR: Is Buddy the LAST 1000 goalscorer we'll ever see? And with the modern style is, it even possible for another player to get close again?

He ain't even there yet. Nothing is a given in this game. But to answer your question, we probably won't ever see another 1000 goal kicker again.

No.

The game will continue to evolve and change, and even if in time the game doesn’t begin to favour scoring once more, there will without a doubt be another freak of nature talent capable of doing it someday regardless.

That being said, many of those players had the majority of their careers in the late 90's/early 00's where games weren't quite as congested as today.
Oh so the game changes over time, interesting.

Ma
With Buddy on 899 and closing in on the 1000, I thought it would be a valid question to ask.

Before him in recent times, the only ones who really got close were Lloyd (926), Richo (800), Sav Rocca (748), Barry Hall (746) Nick Riewoldt (718) and Pavlich (700). Special mention has to also go to Fev who in a career cut short, got 623 @ 3.05 per game average.

That being said, many of those players had the majority of their careers in the late 90's/early 00's where games weren't quite as congested as today. In the modern era, players don't kick bags as frequently, you only need to look to the coleman medal winners in recent year to see how numbers have declined. Not to mention that apart from Buddy, there is no other current player that is even close to his total. No current player even breaks the 600 mark yet with Jack Riewoldt (546), Betts (534), Roughead (532) and Josh Kennedy (519) leading the way.

So basically... TLDR: Is Buddy the LAST 1000 goalscorer we'll ever see? And with the modern style is, it even possible for another player to get close again?
Mabye brent harvey if you didn't delist the flog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Roger Federer of football type will kick 2000

150 years of footyballs for 2 400 gamers, then Harvey and Fletcher within a year or two.

Before buddy came along noone was ever gonna kick 100 again.
Personally i cant see it happening. There is alot more rigours on players these days. Games are faster, more kms in games, more training, more travelling. Unless the game goes full 180 and we revert back to full forwards kicking 70% of a teams score then i just cant see it happening. 60 goals puts you right in the coleman race these days

Personally i cant see it happening. There is alot more rigours on players these days. Games are faster, more kms in games, more training, more travelling. Unless the game goes full 180 and we revert back to full forwards kicking 70% of a teams score then i just cant see it happening. 60 goals puts you right in the coleman race these days

So how come more players are hitting 300 games than ever?

350 games at 3 goals per game is 1050.

The afl keep trying to change the rules to make scoring easier. It'll happen soon

It's a massive ask in todays football, need to average 4 goals a game for 250 games, i'm sure it'll be broken somewhere along the line by some freak, or it'll be broken because the AFL * with the rules.

I think Jarrad Waite has the potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back