Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

A bolter comes from nowhere, Carlton is building. If they don’t make the finals in 2023 Voss may be looking for another job.
I’m willing to do it if Voss is sacked.

Might be a bit controversial but think they have one of, if not, the best list in the league. Could easily see them winning the Premiership next year as well.

Very unlikely. Last team to win a flag subsequent to missing the finals for at least 7 years in a row was Hawthorn in 1971.

Its Now for Carlton 2023-2029 is their window to get flag/s
Cripps will be 28 in march
Curnow 26 in feb
MacKay 25
weitering 24
Walsh 22

Usually you need 1-2 years of finals before teams win the flag but carlton in 2023 is right in the sweet spot to take the next step and after finishing just out of the 8 should get a good draw

Would hardly be a "bolter". A bolter would be a team like Adelaide, Hawthorn, or us making the 8. Carlton are expected to make the 8 next year.
A grand final appearance, or narrow prelim loss, would make them a bolter. Knocked out first week of finals, a moderate improver.
Sadly, their best was almost as good as anyone. Their end of season was welcome amusement, a repeat would be fantastic - and God knows with North's hattrick of spoons being a certainty I need something amusing from footy.

Very unlikely. Last team to win a flag subsequent to missing the finals for at least 7 years in a row was Hawthorn in 1971.
It is there to win.

Melbourne - still don't have a forward line.
Sydney - teams who were spanked like they were generally do not bounce back well
Geelong - end is surely coming and don't see them as a back to back side
Freo - no more advanced than Carlton
Dogs - still don't have a backline
Pies - maybe
Port - maybe
Brisbane - obvious contender but for some reason can't - they are a danger
Richmond - done

Carlton are as good a chance as any of the above teams unless Melbourne can find a KPF or Brisbane can pull it together.

It is there to win.

Melbourne - still don't have a forward line.
Sydney - teams who were spanked like they were generally do not bounce back well
Geelong - end is surely coming and don't see them as a back to back side
Freo - no more advanced than Carlton
Dogs - still don't have a backline
Pies - maybe
Port - maybe
Brisbane - obvious contender but for some reason can't - they are a danger
Richmond - done

Carlton are as good a chance as any of the above teams unless Melbourne can find a KPF or Brisbane can pull it together.
I agree

The important part is Carlton has a decent KPF

If they can make the middle work they will definitely move up

I agree

The important part is Carlton has a decent KPF

If they can make the middle work they will definitely move up
Everyone forgets that Carlton's backline was completely decimated through the middle part of the season as well. They are better than where they finished and where they finished will burn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bolter???? 🤣🤣 In the 8 for 22 of 23 rounds until they sh!t their pants late in the last game of the year. A midfield up there with the best in the comp, 2 of the best 5 key forwards in the comp and 1 of the best 3 key defenders in the comp. No bolter element about the blues in 2023. It is in fact difficult to imagine a team under more pressure than Carlton heading into 2023. They should be top 4 with this list at this stage of maturity, and anything less than that is a fail

The bolter???? 🤣🤣 In the 8 for 22 of 23 rounds until they sh!t their pants late in the last game of the year. A midfield up there with the best in the comp, 2 of the best 5 key forwards in the comp and 1 of the best 3 key defenders in the comp. No bolter element about the blues in 2023. It is in fact difficult to imagine a team under more pressure than Carlton heading into 2023. They should be top 4 with this list at this stage of maturity, and anything less than that is a fail
100%

Everyone forgets that Carlton's backline was completely decimated through the middle part of the season as well. They are better than where they finished and where they finished will burn.
Correct - I don’t think anyone had Brodie Kemp playing key position defender on their Bingo card.

Still two gaping holes to fix:

Ruck - Can one of pitto and tdk be good enough to contend?

Small forward - do we have the talent within? if not woild love to try and get stack as dfa and bring eddie betts in to mentor
I think your team's back 6 would be more of an issue than a ruckman or small forward.

Didn't your team lose 3 defenders in your back 6 yet still belted Freo in docklands late last year?

Your ruck stocks are not bad. Just need someone to hold their ground and stay fit for 22 games.

As for the small forwards, I looked at freos small forwards In Walters, Frederick, Schulz, Coyler and Switkowski etc.

It's more like rotating small blokes in a Forward flank and on a wing with each of them kicking 20-30 goals each.

Don't think we are a bolter.
We were in the mix for most of season and just ran out of petrol tickets towards the end after first season with new coach.
The list age profile is now ready to contend so do not see it as a bolter. Just where expect they should be after course correcting the mistakes of previous coaching regime.
Virtually every match in first season of new coach either won or were well in the match at some point apart from one or two matches with the most clear case of that being against eventual premier of Cats. That was only match I went to where never really had any momentum at any point.
Another off season of training with this new coaching group should have them better drilled on overall game plan.
I think there a lot of improvement to be expected individually in a lot of players and collectively as a team and this season would have added to their hunger to learn and improve even more.
Should be first real season of being in contention in over two decades.
But I think about seven or eight teams in contention so it will be a hotly contested flag next season.
If our young ruck division can improve and work with talented midfield group we will be right in the mix.
But it is not a bolter and we were in top half of ladder all season so it more natural improvement of players in right age bracket to come into their prime in next two to six years collectively.
Keeping your back 6 healthy will be a key factor.

Carlton have 2 very good tall forwards and both won a Coleman medal.

Carlton could lose either McKay or Curnow for a week with a minor injury and still kick a winning score

Carlton could lose either McKay or Curnow for a week with a minor injury and still kick a winning score
They should trade one of them

Whilst most of this is true, Carlton were 10th for average age and 10th for average games played in 2022. Least amount of players aged 28+ in the league, only one of them finished in the top 10 of the best and fairest (Docherty).

We are still a fair way off the maturity of teams like Geelong and Richmond. Plenty of growth left.

Whilst most of this is true, Carlton were 10th for average age and 10th for average games played in 2022. Least amount of players aged 28+ in the league, only one of them finished in the top 10 of the best and fairest (Docherty).

We are still a fair way off the maturity of teams like Geelong and Richmond. Plenty of growth left.
I’m all in on Carlton - all(most) the pieces are there. No one has a more balanced list. If they can find an elite small forward it is on.

Yes, we can cope up forward with one missing, but down back we nowhere near as settled or strong to this point.
Weitering is probably our most important player in our 22. Until Caleb Marchbank can stay on field for neary a whole season we still have to develop our backline into a premiership contention level and it certainly not anywhere near it in 2022.

I’m all in on Carlton - all(most) the pieces are there. No one has a more balanced list. If they can find an elite small forward it is on.

Still relatively weak on the wings but Acres should be a servicable role player. Would love to see us find a traditional defence first back pocket also, as I prefer Saad up the ground.

Between Motlop and Durdin I think we should be okay as they're good young kids who look comfortable at the level but again patience is required for those two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back