Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

The mans a genius. Inside the 8 all year and only have to get over the biggest chokers in history in round 23 to make the finals. Still found a way to miss
what made it worse was carlton should of won both those games at the end of the season.

that game vs the demons.... Blues had the leadthen pickett snapped a goal.

then the final round. carlton justed needed one more point

Carlton has the best list it has had this century, just what it does with it remains to be seen. Game plan needs to grow. List needs to stay fit.
It's probably the best list in the AFL right now. I'm not convinced the coach will be the one to get you all the way though. Time will tell.

If this list doesn't make finals and a serious impression in 2023 then they have issues deep rooted to their core when it comes to culture, it is the only explanation.

Its an incredibly well balanced list with an abundance of good players and many stars.

We can just be thankful that it wasnt a Richmond supporter making the 8,000th thread about Richmond.

Also, no. No they wont bolt. They may make finals. Maybe.

It really is the stuff of genius .

They make the finals . Maybe . ??????

Which one ? 8,000 threads ? Where ?

32000 plus posts of rubbish. Nothing to be thankful for there .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As much as I hate to admit it, Carlton have finally got their s**t together as a football club after two decades of incompetence, with Brian Cook righting the ship as CEO, much like Gale and Peggy did for us after they came on board.

Cook's track record speaks for himself, you just have to look at West Coast and Geelong, the two previous clubs he was at, and see they're two of the modern powerhouses of football.

As far as Carlton's on field prospects are concerned, I believe they're primed to push for a spot in the top 4, and I have no doubt they'll win their 17th flag before Essendon do.

What's your opinion on Carlton's prospects for 2023?
I'm fine with Carlton doing better but I don't want them to get any more premierships before Richmond gets 20.

As much as I hate to admit it, Carlton have finally got their s**t together as a football club after two decades of incompetence, with Brian Cook righting the ship as CEO, much like Gale and Peggy did for us after they came on board.

Cook's track record speaks for himself, you just have to look at West Coast and Geelong, the two previous clubs he was at, and see they're two of the modern powerhouses of football.

As far as Carlton's on field prospects are concerned, I believe they're primed to push for a spot in the top 4, and I have no doubt they'll win their 17th flag before Essendon do.

What's your opinion on Carlton's prospects for 2023?

Not convinced our list is as good as people think its.

We need one of our small forwards to be a real threat every week, not just have a raft of splutters & cameos from the three of them.

The ruck division is not good enough - end of story.

Another genuine key position forward would allow Curnow to become the 'tweener' third marker.

In defence, if Young or Weitering go down for long periods, we have very little back-up to cover them.

Anyone who thinks McGovern is an integral piece has rocks in their head, cannot get on the park.

We also have Martin who is, in my opinion, a complete sham. Plays a five-minute burst of incredible footy and then crawls back into his invisibility cloak.

Fogarty, O'Brien & Boyd are VFL players at best whilst Silvagni & Cuningham are back-ups only.

Thank * we got rid of Newnes, McDonald, Setterfield, Hayes, Parks & Williamson, serious deadwood who should never have been brought in originally.

Yet we still want to persist with Balsawood Marchbank, Thunder-Thighs Dow, Broken GPS Plowman .............. go figure !!

Last edited:

We need one of our small forwards to be a real threat every week, not just have a raft of splutters & cameos from the three of them.

Another genuine key position forward would allow Curnow to become the 'tweener' third marker.

In defence, if Young or Weitering go down for long periods, we have very little back-up to cover them.

Anyone who thinks McGovern is an integral piece has rocks in their head, cannot get on the park.

We also have Martin who is, in my opinion, a complete sham. Plays a five-minute burst of incredible footy and then crawls back into his invisibility cloak.

Fogarty, O'Brien & Boyd are VFL players at best whilst Silvagni & Cuningham are back-ups only.

Thank * we got rid of Newnes, McDonald, Setterfield, Hayes, Parks & Williamson, serious deadwood who should never have been brought in originally.

Yet we still want to persist with Balsawood Marchbank, Thunder-Thighs Dow, Broken GPS Plowman .............. go figure !!

Glass half empty attitude all round.

Putting the reigning Coleman medallist as the third tall probably the cherry on top for mine.

Glass half empty attitude all round.

Putting the reigning Coleman medallist as the third tall probably the cherry on top for mine.

Just being a realist actually, our list is good but there are still some glaring holes.

Having three forwards will stretch all opposition defences and Curnow will run riot.

Open the other eye !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what made it worse was carlton should of won both those games at the end of the season.

that game vs the demons.... Blues had the leadthen pickett snapped a goal.

then the final round. carlton justed needed one more point

The last two games aside they somehow got smashed by the Crows who were trying to get a good draft pick the previous couple of rounds. Thats the one that was disappointing from Carlton not losing to the Dees or the Pies who were two good sides and being realistic Carlton aren't up to their level yet. They should however be beating a developing Crows side. They didn't just lose either they got mauled...so they could have even just lost that game and made finals! That is how bad that game was.

The last two games aside they somehow got smashed by the Crows who were trying to get a good draft pick the previous couple of rounds. Thats the one that was disappointing from Carlton not losing to the Dees or the Pies who were two good sides and being realistic Carlton aren't up to their level yet. They should however be beating a developing Crows side. They didn't just lose either they got mauled...so they could have even just lost that game and made finals! That is how bad that game was.
Smashed/mauled is a over exaggeration. Were 10 points down half way through the last quarter. While it wasn't a good performance. Carlton went in too tall on a wet night. Lost 2 smaller player early (both played around 1/3 game time) while we had JSOS as the sub making the team taller when that was not what we needed. Over run at the end to have last 3 goals kick against

Smashed/mauled is a over exaggeration. Were 10 points down half way through the last quarter. While it wasn't a good performance. Carlton went in too tall on a wet night. Lost 2 smaller player early (both played around 1/3 game time) while we had JSOS as the sub making the team taller when that was not what we needed. Over run at the end to have last 3 goals kick against

That’s a mauling against a developing side. That’s the game that lost you blokes the year not the last two. Most would have you blokes easily winning that game and dropping the last two. The defensive pressure in that game from Carlton was embarrassing and yes that is a bit of selection as you’ve lauded to.

I admire your realistic view. Personally I reckon Carlton's best 22 is among the best four in the league but their depth is questionable. So a great run with injury and the Blues are definite contenders IMV.

Well that cuts both ways to be honest.

Dockers lost 6 games in the regular season. One of them was a shocker vs the Gold coast suns

Well that cuts both ways to be honest.

Dockers lost 6 games in the regular season. One of them was a shocker vs the Gold coast suns

We’ll join the club we always lose to the Suns I’m used to it always tip them!

That’s a mauling against a developing side. That’s the game that lost you blokes the year not the last two. Most would have you blokes easily winning that game and dropping the last two. The defensive pressure in that game from Carlton was embarrassing and yes that is a bit of selection as you’ve lauded to.
Nah a mauling is what happened to the Swans on GF day. Carlton just suffered a disappointing loss.

We’ll join the club we always lose to the Suns I’m used to it always tip them!
mate you dont know the half of it.

Frustrating losing to the suns in 2019 and 2020 narrowly in Queensland.

Ironic on the one game we lost to them by under a goal, Sam Collins, who was a Key defender on freos list for 2 years in 2016-7, took a match winning mark in the back 50 to get the suns over the line on one game.

I don’t think they’ll be the bolter that comes from nowhere, they clearly should’ve made finals last year but copped to many injuries mid to late, quality team with impressive star power, luck with injuries and maybe improvement from their bottom 6 will see them comfortably make the 8 IMO, they’re also Carlton who manage to fluke flags given half a sniff.

Yep, been saying this for years.

But there’s a much stronger core they are building around now.

In the past they have carried too many players who had potential and supporters were relying on not just to be best 22 but match turners.
Many of these have gone now or are about to go.

Will need to build up depth for when injuries eventually hit as their bottom six in the best 23 and beyond aren’t of the highest quality.

A blessed run with injury and they should be top four and contending if they are peaking at the right time. But I still feel lack of good depth will get them at the pointy end this year.

Ill be very unpopular with my Carlton brethren for saying this but Fadge is right. We havent done or achieved anything for years and there should be no bragging until we have actually achieved a decent tangible goal. We had some nice wins this year, played some electrifying footy during periods of certain games but in the end didn't do enough.

There is still holes in the list, Vossy looks good but does he have back up plans for when the A game fails? Can we stand up to the top 4? Geelong and Brisbane pushed us aside, we took it up to Collingwood and Melbourne and had a great win against the Swans but that is inconsistent when you want to be considered contending.

We have a lot of work to do and Ill shut up until the Blues put up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back