Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hence my earlier post.

Which is different from many of you Carlton hopefuls - 'Past performance is not an indicator of future performance'.

It isn't, look at you guys in 2021, finishing 17th and Demons that finished 9th, the following year win the flag

Your analysis has always been based on past events, rather than the readiness or the decline of a squad as a whole

Actually, after careful consideration, I don't understand why Carlton aren't flag favourites.

A team once won the flag the year after they finished 9th, so Carlton are therefore perfectly placed.

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Can’t see how they don’t make top 4 personally .
Which Will be fantastic to see their extremely humble and well reasoned supporters and management enjoy finals footy again!

For I’m sure if there’s one thing we can all agree on , its that there’s no more supporter base deserving of success than the blues!

Actually, after careful consideration, I don't understand why Carlton aren't flag favourites.

A team once won the flag the year after they finished 9th, so Carlton are therefore perfectly placed.

Dont look too far back
2016 Richmond finished 13th and won the flag in 2017

Carlton certainly have the top end talent and depth now , My concern is their Speed & Game Plan

Most of the improvement will come from within as we are still relatively young with some maturing to do.

No reason why McGovern can't play an important role for us. Looked comfortable down back this year. But I do think it's 18+ games or out the door for both he and Marchbank, probably Cuningham too.

McGovern down back.. that’s the good guts man. Don't think he'll ever be an AA out of the bag doozey though. Only the 7 games this season so staying fit is the problem.

What's the solution?

Clue:
2018 GF
Scharenberg HBF & Dunn FB bench warming it as support.
Langdon HBF & Goldsack FB.

Last edited:
They should be one of the better teams next for sure. I don't think that is a bolter, while they shat the bed late last year it was pretty obvious what sort of list they're building.

However, I still think they'll struggle to beat Melbourne, Richmond or Sydney in the last two weeks of the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Port Adelaide will be a bolter in 2023 as they seemed to sustain a lot of injuries last year and by all reports, players are on schedule and will get through the summer preseason.
The addition of Horne-Francis will also be immediate.
Continued improvement from Georgiades, Duursma, Rozee, Hayes, Butters and they should go deep into September.

I think Port Adelaide will be a bolter in 2023 as they seemed to sustain a lot of injuries last year and by all reports, players are on schedule and will get through the summer preseason.
The addition of Horne-Francis will also be immediate.
Continued improvement from Georgiades, Duursma, Rozee, Hayes, Butters and they should go deep into September.
While I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump back up into the 8, I don't think that could be considered a bolter (I also don't think the Blues could be considered a bolter next year. Perhaps if they win the lot, or at least make the GF, however slim).
Port finished top of the ladder in 2020 on 14 wins (17 game season) and 2nd in 2021 on 17 wins.
To me, a bolter would be someone who has performed poorly for a few years, then shoots into contention after not having big expectations.

if Collingwood was the only team Carlton had to play in 23 Carton would be flag favourites....

I think so yes, we should have played finals footy last year but didn't. If everything clicks we possibly could give the top four a rattle. Really though anywhere in the top eight will do fine!

This is a team with it's best years ahead of it. I think all Carlton supporters, are just looking forward to seeing where this journey takes us.

Carlton certainly has all the parts needed to be in contention , But it doesnt always happen

They have 5 stars / Elite level players imo
McKay , Cripps , Walsh , Curnow , Wietering

They also have 10 very good role players that will be or are the core
Cerra , Docherty , Saad , Hewitt , Silvagni , TDK , Williams , Martin , Kennedy , Fisher ( could put cottrell here)

The question marks i have are
  • Experience in finals , Alot of good teams make top 4 but cant go past that brisbane , Port as examples
  • Defence after JW is very suspect
  • Speed in the midfield looks very 1 paced
  • Probably the most important is their 15-30 ranked depth and their ability to play important roles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back