Will Collingwood try to move Grundy on with that contract?

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
A seven year contract at 1 million a year. In hindsight it was way overs. His form has dropped off and Collingwood cap is still tight after off loading Phillips, Stevo and Treloar at the end of last year. Not only did they lose those players but are actually paying for some of them to play for the other clubs.
Meanwhile Grundy has just started his contract.

Will, or should, Collingwood try and move the contract and Grundy on?
Their Premiership window has closed a bit, and Grundy just isn't worth that coin.
Would you rather have Grundy on a million a year, or a good ruckman like say ROB for 350k a year?

Who would be interested in taking on Grundy and that contract?

Just wait until they back end it into a 10 year 7 million deal with 5 million of that owing in his last 2 years

Last edited:
A seven year contract at 1 million a year. In hindsight it was way overs. His form has dropped off and Collingwood cap is still tight after off loading Phillips, Stevo and Treloar at the end of last year. Not only did they lose those players but are actually paying for some of them to play for the other clubs.
Meanwhile Grundy has just started his contract.

Will, or should, Collingwood try and move the contract and Grundy on?
Their Premiership window has closed a bit, and Grundy just isn't worth that coin.
Would you rather have Grundy on a million a year, or a good ruckman like say ROB for 350k a year?

Who would be interested in taking on Grundy and that contract?

No one would take it, if they did move him on they would be stuck paying a large part of it regardless

Needs someone desperately wanting a top end ruck. Can only see the Suns or Giants being desperate enough.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Should have been contenders last year, should be this year and years to come.

Never seen a club self implode as bad as this. Probably worse then Adelaide 17 imo.

I'd move on others first, notably Sidebottom. DeGoey unfortunately, like Wingard, could be world beater but instead an under achiever.

tigers_of_old_08

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RICHMOND
How did such a professional organisation get their finances so wrong??
They’re not just financially inept, they have a history culture issues, a delusional ex-President, and poor player management such as the handling of Treloar.

Will they move Grundy on? It’ll be interesting to see how the new Prez handles issues such as this.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Never seen a club self implode as bad as this. Probably worse then Adelaide 17 imo.

I'd move on others first, notably Sidebottom. DeGoey unfortunately, like Wingard, could be world beater but instead an under achiever.
Wouldn't get much for Sidebottom anymore.

Firebat

Premium Platinum
Feb 23, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
C's
They're paying overs but he's still a premier big man in the comp and they don't come around often. Another poster mentioned De Geoy and I am 100% in agreement - he is the guy who should go to help free up the cap.

Another one is Sidebottom. Both of them combined would be a sizable contract and you can replace their output alot easier than that of Grundy.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Will be 28 and on a 6 year 6 million dollar contract in April next year. Who would want that?

Unfortunately free agency comes too late in players careers and creates these issues where they chase huge deals for years that go well beyond their peak.

I'm genuinely interested to know who the underbidders on Grundy were though.

GWS have needed a ruck for a while but Flynn is very promising and the Giants have their own cap issues.
Sydney just gave Hickey 3 years.
I guess the Dogs might've had a nibble rather than Stef Martin but Bevo has hardly ever been a fan of rucks - although he likes rucks that function as mids and that's what Grundy does.

Carlton had cash to burn last year, Geelong might've considered it but Scott's also not a ruck fan.

I never saw the logic in the Crows moving on from ROB who's very serviceable and surely about a third of the price. That one didn't make sense for me.

Collingwood took until January to then sign him for a 7 year deal. Very confusing. Once they waited until January they may as well have just waited until October.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
De Goey is the one they should be trading.

He'll be a FA next year and they're not going to want to pay him $4 million over five years to keep him. They should cash him out a year early, probably for future picks.

Given how things have been going for Collingwood he will probably get convicted of the charges and be worth nothing.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Collingwood's list draft value guide (excluding recent picks):

Darcy Moore -multiple top 10 picks, sell the farm for him
Josh Daicos -10-15
Quaynor, Maynard, Adams -14-18, can argue higher but I don't think they play positions worth big investments
Crisp, Elliott, Mihocek, Sidebottom, Howe - something in the 2nd
Grundy - untradeable
De Goey - your entire pride.
Everyone else 3rd round or nothing.

I don't see Collingwood being able to trade their way in to picks and out of the cap drama. I'd imagine the cap drama starts to resolve itself naturally now they've done the heavy lifting over the next year or so with a few veterans going and others coming out of big contracts in to more team friendly veteran deals.

Otherwise they had 5 picks in the top 31 for a reason last year and will add Nick Daicos later this year, they don't need to desperately hunt draft picks.

Sidebottom and Howe have plenty of good footy left in them and everyone else of note is young enough to absolutely be there for a quick bounce back. The only player they're really under time pressure for is Pendles and I reckon he either has a Burgoyne style long end coming or he might accept his fate at some stage and it's not like he got a raw deal. He played in a lot of finals sides!

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
How long is Goldstein going to keep playing?

Would the Roos want him for $800k ?
The timing to replace Goldstein would be nice and he'd be good for 3 or 4 years but then you're jeopardising your cap in the last 2-3 years. Maybe the cap has gone up enough by then that you can wear 800k but North are probably planning to have a bunch of talented youngsters on their 2nd or 3rd contracts by that stage and if all goes to play will be chasing gun recruits too.

I think if you're North you'd want to be able to pay him 1M a year for the next 3 then 500k a year for the last 3 but I don't think the AFL allow that.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm

Quite a few issues but just like Adelaide appears they horribly mismanaged their salaries and are paying ridiculous amounts to some while having to offload other handy players.

Back