Will Collingwood try to move Grundy on with that contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, for once they probably shouldn't trade him

Collingwood will be eyeing a bottom 4 finish in 2022 and Band 1 compensation for De Goey.

That would be the smart play.

Just as Essendon did with Danniher.

No club will trade a top 5 pick for him, not even close. But the compensation will give them that.

If they finish last or second last, they could conceivably get a top 3 pick for him. He's young enough and will easily demand a Band 1 salary after the age loading comes into it. He probably only needs about $600k a year from a club to get them Band 1, given his age.

Between Daicos F/S and De Goey's compo, they are very likely going to get a VERY lucky start to their rebuild.
I need a bex after reading that. Good post though.

Won't be an issue. In the coming 2 to 3 years we are going to be down the bottom reaches of the AFL, will be going to the draft and with many players retiring have a tonne of cap space enabling us to just front load and clear a lot of it off the books. Not ideal but it will be easily managed.

There will be no high priced free agents or trades done for a while, no point.
Agree, collingwood have a good record of managing cap space. 7 for 7 springs to mind. Do GD on 6 for 7 and i will laugh **** of a bull

Agree, collingwood have a good record of managing cap space. 7 for 7 springs to mind. Do GD on 6 for 7 and i will laugh **** of a bull

Ha ha, well we have driven ourselves into the ditch so just finding an angle that fixes this problem but ideally I would prefer we bank the cap space that will occur but due to dumb contracts we will need it just to get out of trouble. Grundy must feel great knowing his contract helped force players out.

A seven year contract at 1 million a year. In hindsight it was way overs. His form has dropped off and Collingwood cap is still tight after off loading Phillips, Stevo and Treloar at the end of last year. Not only did they lose those players but are actually paying for some of them to play for the other clubs.
Meanwhile Grundy has just started his contract.

Will, or should, Collingwood try and move the contract and Grundy on?
Their Premiership window has closed a bit, and Grundy just isn't worth that coin.
Would you rather have Grundy on a million a year, or a good ruckman like say ROB for 350k a year?

Who would be interested in taking on Grundy and that contract?

Would the discussion be different if he was only on $750k?

Ha ha, well we have driven ourselves into the ditch so just finding an angle that fixes this problem but ideally I would prefer we bank the cap space that will occur but due to dumb contracts we will need it just to get out of trouble. Grundy must feel great knowing his contract helped force players out.
Maybe he will agree to a part cut. 40% of what he would drop is tax anyway.

I can't see any team that would be willing to take on the contract without Collingwood making big concessions. If the Pies are going to go full rebuild I think the contract size won't matter as much with kids on minimum wage until they prove themselves. Who knows in 7 years time cap space may even go up. Got to get the deadwood off the list - Mayne, WHE, Cox, Greenwood on ridiculous money for their output. Beams contract should be finishing soon? JDG will have good trade currency if his legal stuff goes okay
I’m not entirely convinced on JDGs trade currency to be honest

Eddie turned Collingwood into an emotionally run club, everything with Ed was emotion-charged, there was a flag, could have been 2 with a bit more luck.

The early emotion was highly energetic and dynamic, it worked. The latter day emotion was pathos and comedia entwined. The love affair with Buckley and self was the downfall. Auto fellatio usually ends with sticky stuff on your face.

This phenomema is not new. Both the young Marx and Nietzsche showed indescribable brilliance as young men, only to fall into bombast and flatulance in the latter years.

And so it goes.
Is it accepted within Collingwood circles that Eddie had a strong hand in Beams disastrous trade?

Quite a few issues but just like Adelaide appears they horribly mismanaged their salaries and are paying ridiculous amounts to some while having to offload other handy players.

You know that isn't accurate, right? The only big mistake was Jenkins. Gibbs obviously contributed to that but he had just come in off a big trade, had to pay him something.

Everyone else was on reasonable money.

Paying some of Betts' salary is just a consequence of him wanting out.

At the end of the day we didn't cost ourselves anyone, have shed the cap whilst we are rebuilding and now have plenty of space.

But good to know you don't know anything.

Bump.

Thought this thread was worth re-visiting.

From a Pies perspective its now a good problem to have. Three decent Ruckman.

But I cant imagine Darcy Cameron will be content running around in the VFL in the next few years at the peak of his powers when he is clearly AFL standard.

Bump.

But I cant imagine Darcy Cameron will be content running around in the VFL in the next few years at the peak of his powers when he is clearly AFL standard.
Play both share the ruck load a bit more with the other resting forward .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump.

Forget the contract as no one will pay him that so to consider trading him you would be taking $300k a year of his contract on the salary cap.
As a player he is our best ruck.
I think his injury has been a small blessing. Cameron and Cox have both had BOG performances and Begg has been exposed and played 2 decent games.
At 31 Mason Cox trade value is currently zero. If he plays another 3-4 games like the last one against the Dees. i think there are a few clubs who should seriously consider him as a Ruck. I think he has gone from career over against Brisbane to someone if played as a ruck could have 3 quality years left. Ironically it would be Brisbane that I think should look at him. I know Lion fans would vomit at this idea right now but that could change in next few weeks. Mason Cox best he is a match winner. His worst you are playing with 1 short.

Say Pies do trade Grundy, Brisbane is to me the only club that would consider it and only if they lost McStay. They could have cap space and potentially end up having 2 1st rounders swallowed up by Ashcroft. Pies would need to pay some of the cap. That might be a win-win trade.

As it stands pies best is still Grundy and Cameron or Cox. All will be at Collingwood next year and maybe Mcrae finds a way where they can all fit in the one side. Personally hope we keep all 3 for 2023.

Grundy ruck, Cox and Cameron as the main targets, Mihocek the 3rd tall

Cox and or Cameron chop out in the ruck
With Oliver Henry and Mihocek they will only ever play 2 of the 3 big fellas week to week with the resting ruck up forward .

You wouldn’t want to play Grundy Cox and Cameron too often. My guess would be Grundy and Cameron share the ruck. Cox may have a trigger clause so if he stays in he’ll be back up again. We know Cox has had dominant games but he’s unlikely to be consistent. And when he’s off he can be a liability.
I think Pies would look to keep Grundy. Cameron is also neary 27 so only a year or so younger than Grundy. So it’s not like you’ll get many more year from him than Grundy. Begg looks a decent prospect to. Unless someone took almost all the Grundy contract it’s not worth it.

You wouldn’t want to play Grundy Cox and Cameron too often. My guess would be Grundy and Cameron share the ruck. Cox may have a trigger clause so if he stays in he’ll be back up again. We know Cox has had dominant games but he’s unlikely to be consistent. And when he’s off he can be a liability.
I think Pies would look to keep Grundy. Cameron is also neary 27 so only a year or so younger than Grundy. So it’s not like you’ll get many more year from him than Grundy. Begg looks a decent prospect to. Unless someone took almost all the Grundy contract it’s not worth it.
All fair but is there an added salary cap layer to this?

Pies looking to sign JDG.
What if they also get McStay?

Is there room to pay Cameron?

Pendles , Sidey almost done .... when does Adams contract finish ? Hoskin-Elliot become expendable ... They might be able to squeeze if players sacrifice for the team .

Just not sure they’ll want to pay money towards Grundy like the are Treloar. Unless a club willing to pick up almost all the contract. Also not sure Cameron will be demanding big $. He’s done well this year but not sure he’ll be much more than a 2nd ruck anywhere else. Clubs would be looking at him as a back up second ruck but he’d probably stay at pies for that role. Unless someone comes with massive money but I doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back