Will Collingwood try to move Grundy on with that contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

golazo

Premium Gold
Oct 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United
true - but knowing how fickle AFL environment is , suitors will have forgotten all this crap when trade period comes around - I expect someone to make a play for him.
It's why Amber Heard will end up with some other mega rich dude. There's always someone out there who thinks they can fix them

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Bump.

Thought this thread was worth re-visiting.

From a Pies perspective its now a good problem to have. Three decent Ruckman.

But I cant imagine Darcy Cameron will be content running around in the VFL in the next few years at the peak of his powers when he is clearly AFL standard.
Darcy Cameron would be ok at the Eagles.

I wanted Darcy Cameron in his draft year.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
That shouldnt be something to brag about. We are on the same amount of premiership points at two completely different stages of our premiership clocks lol
The saddest thing is that the pies continually pick one of the oldest teams in the comp but their fans are convinced they're a young team performing wonders.

On the weekend the pies had 14 of the 22 that was spanked by Geelong in the 2020 semi final. 2 of the ins were Sidebottom and Howe. How delusional must the fans be to think that is a team in rebuild mode and not smack bang in the middle of their premiership window?

You're right we're at different points on our premiership clocks. Geelong by all rights should be way over the cliff and starting a rebuild while Collingwood should be right in contention. Yet Geelong is the one in the top 4 giving it another crack while the pie fans are convinced sitting in 9th is a wonderful achievement.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
The saddest thing is that the pies continually pick one of the oldest teams in the comp but their fans are convinced they're a young team performing wonders.

On the weekend the pies had 14 of the 22 that was spanked by Geelong in the 2020 semi final. 2 of the ins were Sidebottom and Howe. How delusional must the fans be to think that is a team in rebuild mode and not smack bang in the middle of their premiership window?

You're right we're at different points on our premiership clocks. Geelong by all rights should be way over the cliff and starting a rebuild while Collingwood should be right in contention. Yet Geelong is the one in the top 4 giving it another crack while the pie fans are convinced sitting in 9th is a wonderful achievement.
I could respond with so many different things but I won’t because if you genuinely believe what you said, you’re quite delusional about where your footy team and mine are at. I also don’t think anyone else on here believes what you said either.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I could respond with so many different things but I won’t because if you genuinely believe what you said, you’re quite delusional about where your footy team and mine are at. I also don’t think anyone else on here believes what you said either.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

You're playing the 6th oldest team in the comp. Weird how old and experienced this rebuilding team of kids miles away from the premiership window is.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood

You're playing the 6th oldest team in the comp. Weird how old and experienced this rebuilding team of kids miles away from the premiership window is.
All that article tells me is that it’s going to be a long fall for Geelong with nothing to show for their shrewd recruitments of Dangerfield, Higgins, Smith and Cameron. Would’ve been wiser to go down the draft path and be an extra 1-2-3 years into a rebuild with quality kids. Anywho, this thread isn’t about Geelong, so we’ll leave it there.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Cameron's a very good player, he's shown he's a quality first ruck, Collingwood play better when Cameron's in the ruck compared to Grundy.

There's 3 clubs that would take Grundy on
GWS
North
Crows

They would probably take 75% of his wage

What do the pies need?
Could they trade him for thillithorpe?
Could they get ldu and Thomas
Could they get Bruhn and himmelberg

They let degoey go and they're still pretty good list wise as they get another first rounder

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
All that article tells me is that it’s going to be a long fall for Geelong with nothing to show for their shrewd recruitments of Dangerfield, Higgins, Smith and Cameron. Would’ve been wiser to go down the draft path and be an extra 1-2-3 years into a rebuild with quality kids. Anywho, this thread isn’t about Geelong, so we’ll leave it there.
You might well be right about Geelong but as you say this thread isn't about them.

If Collingwood isn't in their premiership window now when will they be? Pendlebury and Howe are still super important. Sidebottom has been much improved. It would be surprising if they're playing as well next year.

Then there's Mihocek, Elliott, Crisp, Adams, Grundy and Hoskin Elliott over 28 already.

It's just weird to see a fan base so convinced they're a young developing team when there is so much experienced quality out there that's going to need to be replaced over the next 5 years.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cameron's a very good player, he's shown he's a quality first ruck, Collingwood play better when Cameron's in the ruck compared to Grundy.

GWS
North
Crows

What do the pies need?

They let degoey go and they're still pretty good list wise as they get another first rounder
Such a huge risk by Collingwood simply doing a straight swap of Grundy for Thilthorpe and can easily be disputed both ways as being unders for my team/overs for yours etc. but such a worthy risk for Collingwood.

The back up is there and tested in Cameron/Cox/Begg and the need for a young, very good KPF is so massive. It comes off and Thilthorpe becomes an absolute star, Collingwood look like absolute geniuses.

Flip side, Thilthorpe flops and Collingwood have given away a premier ruckman of the competition for a speculative kid - what were they thinking?

I’d do it and I’d probably get laughed at for saying that.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
You might well be right about Geelong but as you say this thread isn't about them.

If Collingwood isn't in their premiership window now when will they be? Pendlebury and Howe are still super important. Sidebottom has been much improved. It would be surprising if they're playing as well next year.

Then there's Mihocek, Elliott, Crisp, Adams, Grundy and Hoskin Elliott over 28 already.

It's just weird to see a fan base so convinced they're a young developing team when there is so much experienced quality out there that's going to need to be replaced over the next 5 years.

Yep. I've posed this argument to Collingwood fans multiple times, but they won't have a bar of it. They're convinced that:

1. The players you mentioned aren't playing a big role. It's the kids winning their games.
2. They have a bunch of kids performing in the VFL who will seamlessly take these players places in the next few years.

Their window is 100% now.

The whole 'rebuilding' is a marketing message for 2022. They're fielding an experienced list compared to most of the comp. The stats are there, it's easily identifiable, just look at their 2021 top 10 BnF; but for some reason the fans completely ignore it.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

GWS
North
Crows

What do the pies need?

You spelled Frampton wrong. No way we give thilthorpe up for a 29 year old injured ruck that has tailed off after his contract year with 5 years at a million a year left.

Taking on his contract is enough alone so getting a Frampton or Himmelberg is as good as that deal gets i am afraid🙂

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
You spelled Frampton wrong. No way we give thilthorpe up for a 29 year old injured ruck that has tailed off after his contract year with 5 years at a million a year left.

Taking on his contract is enough alone so getting a Frampton or Himmelberg is as good as that deal gets i am afraid🙂
You do understand the concept of trading? If you want your club to get a quality player you have to give up quality in return?

Adelaide need to land a high profile recruit, they haven't since the duck, Collingwood need a good tall fwd it's a win win

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You do understand the concept of trading? If you want your club to get a quality player you have to give up quality in return?

Adelaide need to land a high profile recruit, they haven't since the duck, Collingwood need a good tall fwd it's a win win
We don't want him - Ruck for us is almost the least most important position we need to get better talent in. ROB will do the job OK - not great, but OK and that's enough

As I said, anyone taking on his contract would be giving up a nominal pick or fringe player and thats it. And I say that as someone who really liked Grundy as a player and remember watching him playing at Sturt before his AFL career, but he just does not in any way shape or form fit what we need for our list profile. I'd rather DeGoey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back