Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
As bad as 2020 and 2021 were with the covid pandemic forcing hubs and all sort of movement of games I feel 2022 is going to be a nightmare from an RDT point of view. The only players who were affected last year were Mills, Greene and a few teammates because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - a bloody rugby match of all things.
We have already seen it in the summer sports with the BBL becoming a farce with the Stars having 10 players unavailable and having to play ring ins from the local cricket competition. Basketball is facing similar problems.
Sydney is currently facing over 20,000 new cases per day and Melbourne will be likewise soon. Although we have a high vaccination rate, many of those who have been vaccinated are still becoming covid positive. Only difference is that their symptoms are far less severe than had they not been vaxxed.
Now that we are past having lockdowns (thank God) the spread of this bloody thing will continue to grow until we have all had our booster shots and or had covid and recovered from it. I believe you are less likely again to get it if you have already had it. We have already had 10 Sydney Swans players catch it who were obviously all fully vaccinated.
Dream Team has been said to be a game of luck and to a certain degree that is correct. Having your captain injured in the first quarter for example. At times, you can have a really good round and have the second best score of the week in your league only to be playing against the team that had the highest league score. These could all pale into insignificance if you discover on Friday night that 45 players at various clubs have tested positive and that 10 of them are in your team. You then look at your opponents team and discover he only has 5 of them.
I think we are kidding ourselves if we think that numerous players will not get positive tests during the season and then need to isolate for 7 days. Those 7 days could actually force them to miss 2 games. I think it more likely to have positive tests every week than not.
The AFL will not force the players to live in a bubble and nor should they hence they are most likely to come across a positive person even if they do take as many precautions as they can.
We might be in for a very bumpy ride with our DT squads this year. If it gets as bad as the BBL is currently, Sportsdeck may impose the best 18 rule throughout the season rather than just the byes.

Do we expect them to be proactive and do something different, for instance increasing the size of the bench in each position? Maybe adding a separate bench which only comes into play if there are late outs. Maybe give this separate bench unlimited trades during a round? They can still have a salary cap for it but you can manage it however you like. Say it is a bench of 4, instead of 1 player for each position you can trade to up to 4 in one position according to how covid is impacting your team. Then that separate bench can be any combination of the 4 positions. If they could make that work i reckon it would help heaps

Do we expect them to be proactive and do something different, for instance increasing the size of the bench in each position? Maybe adding a separate bench which only comes into play if there are late outs. Maybe give this separate bench unlimited trades during a round? They can still have a salary cap for it but you can manage it however you like. Say it is a bench of 4, instead of 1 player for each position you can trade to up to 4 in one position according to how covid is impacting your team. Then that separate bench can be any combination of the 4 positions. If they could make that work i reckon it would help heaps
Although SD could and may do something to help offset the likelihood of covid omissions, nothing will help coaches who lose 4 to 5 premiums in any given week. Even though they may be replaced by emergencies, your score will be significantly impacted. As luck would normally have it, your opponent that week will probably have no omissions. This is where the competition is going to be so compromised.

I doubt Sportsdeck will do anything
I’m currently playing nba fantasy on SD and the carnage has been unreal, easily 5+ missed games every week from players. It’s pure luck now. And there has not even been a single extra trade given to us.
For AFL, I think they will give an extra trade if an entire game gets postponed but if individual players get covid, I don’t expect anything. Make sure your bench has warm bodies and hope for the best

Don't think it will be as bad unless a new version of covid comes out as it already seems to be spreading through a number of clubs already so they are likely to be dealing with it now rather than in another couple of months. With any luck it means with the vax + getting it, the chance of getting it once more will be very minimal.

Not to say we won't have scares along the way, but right now I think fantasy being played in March onwards looks far better compared to having it played now (or 1-2 months ago in the NBA - which is a good example of the cases having dropped dramatically since that hot spot).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back