Will Daicos surpass GAJ?

Will Nick Daicos surpass GAJ

• Yes

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 85 73.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope, but he is the first player since Buddy for whom it isn't silly to even suggest it.

Not even the best player at Collingwood
Better than GAJ was at the same stage, highly rated across several awards (most of them fluff but the coaches one is serious and AFLPA not to be sneered at). One year at halfback then into the guts for regular bashings and broken kneecap, its as steep an ascent as Judd.

Gary took a couple of years on the half forward flank to mature into his phenomenal strength, oppo supporters were trolling about how bad he was-untruthfully, everyone could see something was coming but he wasn't up to the name straight off the bat.

I don't expect Daics to be better over the distance but its not laughable.

hasn't shown any contested work like Gary did. In fact, we've seen about 5 horrifying squibs. Not every player has to be a clayton Oliver but when it's your turn, it's your turn.

but by far the best player in the afl with ball in hand.

hasn't shown any contested work like Gary did. In fact, we've seen about 5 horrifying squibs. Not every player has to be a clayton Oliver but when it's your turn, it's your turn.

but by far the best player in the afl with ball in hand.
Is Lachie Neale a good contested midfielder? Nick only did this on him with a premiership on the line

Is Lachie Neale a good contested midfielder? Nick only did this on him with a premiership on the line

Was given a handball in the clear and booted it blindly forward to the favour of his opponent in a 1on1? Yep, pretty sure Neale could do something like that.

Daicos did a bunch of great things on the day. A fair few of them would have been at least a bronze medal.

Was given a handball in the clear and booted it blindly forward to the favour of his opponent in a 1on1? Yep, pretty sure Neale could do something like that.

Daicos did a bunch of great things on the day. A fair few of them would have been at least a bronze medal.
He wasnt given a single handball in the play and he didnt kick it forward. He won it out the middle under pressure handballed it to Pendlebury who kicked it. He then ran forward and picked up the ball from a spoil on Pendleburys kick and when he was about to be tackled handballed it to DeGoey. You seam confused or at the very least not sure who did what. Watch it again.

Last edited:
He wasnt given a single handball in the play and he didnt kick it forward. He won it out the middle under pressure handballed it to Pendlebury who kicked it. He then ran forward and picked up the ball from a spoil on Pendleburys kick and when he was about to be tackled handballed it to DeGoey. You seam confused or at the very least not sure who did what. Watch it again.
Sorry. Watching on a little screen on my phone. Thought he was the kicker not the handballer.

Winning a big clearance at a critical time is gold.

Better than GAJ was at the same stage, highly rated across several awards (most of them fluff but the coaches one is serious and AFLPA not to be sneered at). One year at halfback then into the guts for regular bashings and broken kneecap, its as steep an ascent as Judd.

Gary took a couple of years on the half forward flank to mature into his phenomenal strength, oppo supporters were trolling about how bad he was-untruthfully, everyone could see something was coming but he wasn't up to the name straight off the bat.

I don't expect Daics to be better over the distance but its not laughable.
Thats a fair statement, but i think we would need to see Daicos win individual awards as Gaz did for a sustained period of time. not saying he cant do it, and its kind of unfair to compare to Gaz who is one arguably of the best ever

Thats a fair statement, but i think we would need to see Daicos win individual awards as Gaz did for a sustained period of time. not saying he cant do it, and its kind of unfair to compare to Gaz who is one arguably of the best ever
Agree, and I said that earlier. A few nitwit were crowing over rhe fact that Abletts first couple of years were "merely" first 18 quality.

I think in about 05 he slotted into the midfield as an inside/outside tank/finisher and that conversation was over.

As I say he really didn't have a weakness, even his less developed areas like overhead marking and leadership were above average.

It's a huge compliment to Daics this thread can even be made. If he were somehow to surpass GAJ we will win many flags, as Geelong did.

also injuries kinda helped Gaz to, he had 12 years of 20+ games which in insane of it self, im more surprised this isnt a Harley Reid vs the whole AFL since the media have creamed there pants over him lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also injuries kinda helped Gaz to, he had 12 years of 20+ games which in insane of it self, im more surprised this isnt a Harley Reid vs the whole AFL since the media have creamed there pants over him lol
thats a good point in itself.
A lot has to go very right to end up with a career as good as Gary Ablett Jnr

If we are comparing any up and coming star compared to an all time great, Im taking the career of the great every time. So much has to happen to get there.

Last edited:
Two areas daicos will never ger close in are contested game and forward craft. Ablett was a very good strong contested marking small forward when resting down there. Daicos will never add a contested marking small forward element to his game infront of goals.

Daicos is more suited to an outside role off the packs setting up play and or a half back style role slingshotting.

He is not your powerful strong 1v1 explosive type like ablett, he is more of an outside finesse

Back