Prediction Will Doedee play an AFL game this season?

Will Doedee make his AFL debut this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know I wished we had picked up Pav, reckon we wouldnt be calling 20 years if we had

Or we pick up Pav and he ends up a Matt Smith clone, the joys of what ifs. ;)

It's a tough one because McGregor was the more accomplished player of the two at 17 years of age so you can't begrudge the pick, especially in the days that drafting was much more hit and miss then now.

A couple of good games in the SANFL from Doedee doesnt replace good games in the AFL from Kelly.

That doesn't matter as much as deciding on who will be the better player in the mid-long term. Mid defender to me is a development position in a lot of senses, and if we reckon Doedee will be offering more in 10-15 games of AFL level then Kelly, then we're negligent to not select him.

That doesn't matter as much as deciding on who will be the better player in the mid-long term. Mid defender to me is a development position in a lot of senses, and if we reckon Doedee will be offering more in 10-15 games of AFL level then Kelly, then we're negligent to not select him.
Nothing that Doedee has done at SANFL has shown he is going to do anything at AFL level.
If there is injuries and he has been playing well, he will get a gig. But he has done nothing yet for that to happen.

Nothing that Doedee has done at SANFL has shown he is going to do anything at AFL level.
If there is injuries and he has been playing well, he will get a gig. But he has done nothing yet for that to happen.
Doedee was showing more than Kelly ever has in his first year in the SANFL. I like how Kelly has developed into a solid player, but his potential has nothing on Doedee who has poise, smarts and good defensive skills.

I also like Cheney but I would forgo playing him if it meant fast tracking Doedee. He probably needs a few more SANFL games but I hope it happens this season.

Doedee was showing more than Kelly ever has in his first year in the SANFL. I like how Kelly has developed into a solid player, but his potential has nothing on Doedee who has poise, smarts and good defensive skills.

I also like Cheney but I would forgo playing him if it meant fast tracking Doedee. He probably needs a few more SANFL games but I hope it happens this season.
I distinctly remember all the talk coming out of the club about Kelly in his first year. They called him the Bull if I recall. Went on about his attack on the ball and man. Had to be spoke to about going a bit easier as they thought he would hurt people.

Potential. A word that comforts those outside of the team and scares those inside
I don't think anyone inside the team is scared of anything

Maybe Milera and Greenwood are

I don't think anyone inside the team is scared of anything

Maybe Milera and Greenwood are
More the older players. Everytime they hear someone outside the 22 playing group described as having potential it must grate on their nerves.

I distinctly remember all the talk coming out of the club about Kelly in his first year. They called him the Bull if I recall. Went on about his attack on the ball and man. Had to be spoke to about going a bit easier as they thought he would hurt people.
And that was just on the training track, similar to the other Jake in that regard.

How is it a massive fail when due to injuries he's hardly ever got a decent a decent block of games to both get up to match touch or match fitness?? On top of that he's had "managed" pre-seasons both years and many seem to forget he was drafted with the knowledge there was still plenty of development to come after having only solely concentrated on his footy in his last year in the TAC Cup Competition. Up to then his main focus was his basketball playing the odd game of school footy where he was showing plenty as a forward, enough that the Geelong Falcons were monitoring him for the previous 2 seasons and Falcons Talent Manager Michael Turner was continually in his ear to come out and train with them. Eventually he did and the rest is history, first making the Falcons starting 22 as a defender which led to him making the best 22 for Vic Country at the U18 Championships and shining out again as a defender of considerable promise. It was always going to be the long game with Tom.
I think the fail was having to use such a high draft pick to get him

I think the fail was having to use such a high draft pick to get him
And you know with absolute certainty there was no other interest from other clubs around our picks?

Do you also know Ogilvie and his team didn't have a fair idea where other club's interest lay with Tom?

You do know 14 other clubs interviewed him at least twice, that from Tom himself in a radio interview after we drafted him, also mentioned in an article in the Geelong Addy?

And you know with absolute certainty there was no other interest from other clubs around our picks?

Do you also know Ogilvie and his team didn't have a fair idea where other club's interest lay with Tom?

You do know 14 other clubs interviewed him at least twice, that from Tom himself in a radio interview after we drafted him, also mentioned in an article in the Geelong Addy?

Seems a long time ago now

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good game from Kelly tonight. Really can't see any way in for Tom unfortunately

ahh but your falling for the old Doedee is only a defender misconception. Apparently, he could be a really good midfielder - #even though he has never played in the midfield.

ahh but your falling for the old Doedee is only a defender misconception. Apparently, he could be a really good midfielder - #even though he has never played in the midfield.

Yes that was mentioned a hell of a lot by BF posters cut him loose throw him on danger or Selwood this weekend

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Played some bloody good footy up forward scoring bags of goals in the Private School Competition according to Mick Turner Geelong Falcons Talent Manager, whilst basketball was his No.1 priority at the time. Dangerfield and Brad Crouch played a hell of lot off half back as juniors too, pretty sure Fyfe was the same.

"Absolute certainty"? It's not a science thus nothing has absolute certainty

He could have been taken at 1, but most plausibly in to late 20s-30s by best intel.

Note, Mitch Grigg had a number of articles in the paper before his draft and he went late 30s.

He could have been taken at 1, but most plausibly in to late 20s-30s by best intel.

Note, Mitch Grigg had a number of articles in the paper before his draft and he went late 30s.

But we didn't have another pick before the 30s. So if he was going to be picked there but we rated him where we picked him, we had no choice but to take him when we did.

Now you could say we could have traded our first rounder for 2 2nd rounders, but what if there was 1 other club out there that valued him as highly as we did according to our intel?

Note : We didn't have a pick in the 20 - 30's

If we wanted Tom we had to use that pick, we only took 2 players in the 2015 Draft.

Note : We didn't have a pick in the 20 - 30's

If we wanted Tom we had to use that pick, we only took 2 players in the 2015 Draft.
This is common knowledge. The point being made is we could have downgraded that pick if we wanted to upgrade elsewhere.
As it turns out Milera was available at a lower than expected pick anyway, and we may have picked him higher if we had managed to upgrade our first.

This is common knowledge. The point being made is we could have downgraded that pick if we wanted to upgrade elsewhere.
As it turns out Milera was available at a lower than expected pick anyway, and we may have picked him higher if we had managed to upgrade our first.
That's all fine but my thinking is our boys had some pretty strong intel there was serious interest by at least one other club that negated that process. I usually run into Hamish a couple of times during the U18 season here at Eureka Stadium so I'll see if he's prepared to give me a definitive answer on that.

Or we pick up Pav and he ends up a Matt Smith clone, the joys of what ifs. ;)

It's a tough one because McGregor was the more accomplished player of the two at 17 years of age so you can't begrudge the pick, especially in the days that drafting was much more hit and miss then now.

not this again. MP was the most talented school footballer in a generation, albeit with suspect shoulders. any scout worth their salt would've seen this.

we ****ed it up and played "safe" with the more experienced player. "safe" - the lifelong narrative of the AFC.

back on topic, i predict doedee will play if we have 3 or more injuries to defenders simultaneously.

not this again. MP was the most talented school footballer in a generation, albeit with suspect shoulders. any scout worth their salt would've seen this.

we ****** it up and played "safe" with the more experienced player. "safe" - the lifelong narrative of the AFC.

back on topic, i predict doedee will play if we have 3 or more injuries to defenders simultaneously.

Another win by Ogilvie and the crew here. He will be an important part of our backline next year and I am sure will get a game this year as soon as opportunity opens up. His work on the weekend with his intercept marking was outstanding. He has real poise and good game sense. He just has to work on his kicking but he is a very good decision maker with ball in hand. He may enable some of our other defenders the liberty to play upfield eg Laird and even Brown. Jake Kelly, Cheney and him are fighting for the one spot. Kelly could not be droppped this week though after his game on the weekend.

He's average.
Depth player at Hawthorn.

And hawthorn were stupid and used him as a KPD most of the time for god knows what reason cos we all know he isn't that.

Very underrated Cheney is. Reads the play better than most and is very tidy over that 20-35m range with his kicking. Something that is actually not widely noted around AFL discussion circles, and something that makes Mitchell such a great player imo.

The only qualm I have with Cheney is that sometimes he's so worried about intercepting and being 3rd man up, that he tends to lose his direct opponent.

When used as that utility in defence he's great. Quick, tidy, resolute and someone you can rely upon which is what you need.

I would actually love to see us bring in both Doedee and Cheney into the side. I have been loving what Brown has been doing in the midfield when he's had his stints there. Think there is so much potential locked away there still.

Bring both of those 2 in to help with the mediums and the smalls and give one of Brown and Laird more midfield minutes. It also gives us more flexibility when we cop an injury, rather than using someone as hopeless as Mackay or Hampton back there for example.

Back