Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news for the Blues with Walsh re-signing. But just not sure they can compile a flag winning list with their salary cap structure :

In 2022 and 2023 (at least):

Walsh: $900k
Cripps: $800k
Williams : $800k
Saad: $650k
Cerra: $700k
McGovern: $750k
Weitering: $750k
Docherty: $600k
McKay: $850k
C. Curnow: $700k
Hewett: $400k

= $7,900,000

So that’s 11 x players taking $7.9m. With a salary cap of $13.4m it leaves $5.5m for 27 other players at an average of $203,000.

They’ll get huge relief after 2023 when McGovern, Curnow and Docherty contracts end.

But it will be interesting to see if they can retain McKay or any youngsters who develop over the next 2 seasons and command big coin 2024 onwards: Fisher, DeKoning, Stocker, Kemp …?

That will be their challenge in trying to keep together a Premiership quality list, as most teams would have 5-7 players on $600k+…. Carlton have 10.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As long as the Blues aren't forcing Plowman into the 22 then they should be fine :) Cripps also needs to stand up though, his Brownlow and coaches votes have gone down substantially in the past two seasons. A 2019 form Cripps and 2021 form Walsh is ideally what they want to aim for.
Essendon will have to fight for a spot due to their bloody hard fixture, although I'm still confident in their forward line continuing to improve. Plus, I still anticipate Darcy Parish will be a major Brownlow contender this year.

Great news for the Blues with Walsh re-signing. But just not sure they can compile a flag winning list with their salary cap structure :

= $7,900,000

So that’s 11 x players taking $7.9m. With a salary cap of $13.4m it leaves $5.5m for 27 other players at an average of $203,000.

They’ll get huge relief after 2023 when McGovern, Curnow and Docherty contracts end.

But it will be interesting to see if they can retain McKay or any youngsters who develop over the next 2 seasons and command big coin 2024 onwards: Fisher, DeKoning, Stocker, Kemp …?

That will be their challenge in trying to keep together a Premiership quality list, as most teams would have 5-7 players on $600k+…. Carlton have 10.

So I take it you have access to these and every other player's salary

So I take it you have access to these and every other player's salary

Typical lazy analysis, take every rumour as fact no matter how tenuous the source, use the highest end of the range in every case, and completely ignore that some of these contracts were heavily front ended when Carlton used the extra space they had banked in 2020.

= $7,900,000

Cerra isn't on that lol he tool less cripps is on 650 so is mckay you really have no idea what the *, you're even talking about sit down

Typical lazy analysis, take every rumour as fact no matter how tenuous the source, use the highest end of the range in every case, and completely ignore that some of these contracts were heavily front ended when Carlton used the extra space they had banked in 2020.

Yeap, not to mention the media include a total only which encompasses incentives such as top 10 finishes, so less than a qtr of the list are eligible

Games played, which is achieved by less than half the list

So on, so on

Last edited:
Cerra isn't on that lol he tool less cripps is on 650 so is mckay you really have no idea what the fu**, you're even talking about sit down
Walsh is also just over 800k. But the BF Salary cap experts always like to add a 100k or so to make things seem worse than they are.

This guy has no idea and reminds of a 17yo burger flipper living in his parents basement watching Anime films all day and then getting on here pretending to be knowledgeable.

= $7,900,000

Seems like you've just chucked about an extra $50k on most of those.
Who knows how accurate they are, but reports coming through now that Walsh signed for $850k.
Cripps was reported to have signed for $750k. Williams was reported as $750k (GWS were supposedly offering him $700k to stay).
Saad probably close. Between $600-650k. Cerra supposed to be more like $650k.

It's a lovely little guess, but as Arrow said, media reports generally go for the highest possible figure, which could include bonuses for meeting KPIs and match payments based on the expectation that player X will play all 22 games. It also doesn't take into account front loading or back loading. Reported figures are usually just the average over the life of the contract. Jack Martin, for example, will be on something closer to the AFL average wage for the next 3 years.

= $7,900,000

You posted the same thing with the names shuffled right after we signed Cerra, right after we re-signed Cripps and right after we re-signed Harry.

You obviously have no idea. No one does, but at least others don’t pretend.

Wouldn't say either team will be a bolter. Carlton would be rapt with 10 wins and consistent performances while Essendon doesn't have much room to grow after outperforming all expectations last year (and still finishing with a losing record).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't say either team will be a bolter. Carlton would be rapt with 10 wins and consistent performances while Essendon doesn't have much room to grow after outperforming all expectations last year (and still finishing with a losing record).

Carlton would not be rapt with 10 wins. They are on record as saying they expect to play finals.

Also your second statement regarding Essendon seems to be based on the assumption that a team outperforming expectations in one season has no room to improve in subsequent seasons. When some teams improve sharply that becomes their base, Richmond 2017, Brisbane 2019 being two that readily spring to mind. There is no reason to think this could not possibly happen for Essendon.

For the record I expect both teams to be in a group of teams in the 5-14 range in 2022 and their actual finishing positions within that range will depend on things that cannot be foreseen like injuries, close finishes etc.

After 8 wins last year (three losses by 3 goals or less) and 7 wins in a 17 game season (six losses by 3 goals or less), there's no way the club or it's supporters would be 'rapt' with 10 wins. 10 wins would be barely a pass mark.
A return to form for Cripps, return of Curnow and to a lesser extent Fish and Martin (10 and 11 games respectively), Doc and Newman (14 games each last year) and McGovern (5 games). Inclusions of Cerra and Hewett. Expected improvement from TDK (13 games), Kemp (2 games), Stocker, Owies (13 games), Honey (5 games) and some lesser players that are largely unseen, like Durdin and Philp. A few other fringe players that fell out of favour but showed some late glimpses last year, like Dow, Kennedy, Setterfield and O'Brien, and a barely 2 game improvement would be a minimum.

Not saying it will happen, as there's a lot of factors at play, but 'rapt with 10 wins' is a terrible call.

After 8 wins last year (three losses by 3 goals or less) and 7 wins in a 17 game season (six losses by 3 goals or less), there's no way the club or it's supporters would be 'rapt' with 10 wins. 10 wins would be barely a pass mark.
A return to form for Cripps, return of Curnow and to a lesser extent Fish and Martin (10 and 11 games respectively), Doc and Newman (14 games each last year) and McGovern (5 games). Inclusions of Cerra and Hewett. Expected improvement from TDK (13 games), Kemp (2 games), Stocker, Owies (13 games), Honey (5 games) and some lesser players that are largely unseen, like Durdin and Philp. A few other fringe players that fell out of favour but showed some late glimpses last year, like Dow, Kennedy, Setterfield and O'Brien, and a barely 2 game improvement would be a minimum.

Not saying it will happen, as there's a lot of factors at play, but 'rapt with 10 wins' is a terrible call.
Yep, the expectation from the president is that the Blues will play finals this year and why not.

A new coach with an optimised game plan that will play to the lists strength, added firepower in the middle of the ground with some quality recruits and surely a better run with injury than last year (although I believe there could be more done in this area in preparing and conditioning players for AFL footy than has been shown in the last couple of years).

Along with natural progression of some of their core players who are yet to enter their prime, and the retirements of players from the best 22, who apart from Liam Jones, doesn’t detract from the teams output with their removal.

Add to that an extremely favourable draw and Blues supporters should expect to be playing finals footy this year. Exciting times ahead for them.

Essendon could be thereabouts as well, but I see greater improvement in the Blues.

= $7,900,000

You’re forgetting Marc Pittonet who is on 750k and Lochie Fogarty who collects a cool 1.3 mil per Home game.

Incredible there are some misguided opposition posters still operating under the illusion the Carlton Football Club are investing into a 'salary cap' in 2022.

Make no mistake: history is repeating itself and the Blues brains trust are currently employing some creative accounting to their books. Luke Sayers has opened the Price Waterhouse Coopers trust fund and it's bigger than the Australian Federal Reserve, Arsenal FC and the total GDP of Belgium.

It started with Saad's Hyundai, now Sam Walsh will receive a Caribbean Island and several chamber maids as a signing bonus.

There are crop circles with more validity than the checks and balances of the Blues' spreadsheets.

No surprises why Cerra told the reigning premiers to GAGF.

It's just what it is.

Last edited:
Incredible there are some misguided opposition posters still operating under the illusion the Carlton Football Club are investing into a 'salary cap' in 2022.

Make no mistake: history is repeating itself and the Blues brains trust are currently employing some creative accounting to their books. Luke Sayers has opened the Price Waterhouse Coopers trust fund and it's bigger than the Australian Federal Reserve, Arsenal FC and the total GDP of Belgium.

It started with Saad's Hyundai, now Sam Walsh will receive a Caribbean Island and several chamber maids as a signing bonus. There are crop circles with more validity than the checks and balances of the Blues' spreadsheets.

No surprises why Cerra told the reigning premiers to GAGF.

It's just what it is.

It’s fantastic isn’t it.
The AFL monitor the salary caps of the other 17 clubs closely whilst completely turning a blind eye to Carlton’s affairs as we throw bucket loads of cash to all and sundry without a care in the world 🤪🤪

It’s fantastic isn’t it.
The AFL monitor the salary caps of the other 17 clubs closely whilst completely turning a blind eye to Carlton’s affairs as we throw bucket loads of cash to all and sundry without a care in the world 🤪🤪
To be fair, AFL house only has so many sets of eyes, and they're all still a bit exhausted from persecuting innocent Essendon players who never tested positive to anything.

Smart management by Carlton. Do all the dodgy stuff now while the powers that be are resting and think the teams are all still on high alert and behaving themselves.

dont really care,y would i ?
Either of Carlton or Essendon being a bolter is purely opinion based,if you dont like others having an opinion your free to overlook
like i do 🤩
as an eg: i personally couldnt give a toss what others label the RFC,its none of my business ;)

Still making assumptions I see, on the back of stating what supporters think, supposedly

dont really care,y would i ?
Either of Carlton or Essendon being a bolter is purely opinion based,if you dont like others having an opinion your free to overlook
like i do 🤩
as an eg: i personally couldnt give a toss what others label the RFC,its none of my business ;)
Difference between an opinion and being a smartarse mate.

I doubt either team bolts but I'm looking forward to seeing the development from both sides.

The Blues are a bit of an enigma, seemingly good list but so many new variables coming into play. I honestly think everyone is just guessing about them at this point. Still not totally convinced Voss will translate either but in general I do hope they're competitive.

As far as the Bombers, I don't think a lot of oppo supporters and a fair chunk of the so called media quite understand our trajectory. In a weird way i don't think we are chasing a fragile fast rise (although rising up ladder positions is always desirable) but more a stripped back bare, robust across all areas, steady evolving strategy instead of flashy hype that can get found out later.

i just wish the season would hurry up and start so we can actually rip into some stats and plays, rather than everyone trying to measuring their appendages with their tribalism at this stage.

I doubt either team bolts but I'm looking forward to seeing the development from both sides.

The Blues are a bit of an enigma, seemingly good list but so many new variables coming into play. I honestly think everyone is just guessing about them at this point. Still not totally convinced Voss will translate either but in general I do hope they're competitive.

As far as the Bombers, I don't think a lot of oppo supporters and a fair chunk of the so called media quite understand our trajectory. In a weird way i don't think we are chasing a fragile fast rise (although rising up ladder positions is always desirable) but more a stripped back bare, robust across all areas, steady evolving strategy instead of flashy hype that can get found out later.

i just wish the season would hurry up and start so we can actually rip into some stats and plays, rather than everyone trying to measuring their appendages with their tribalism at this stage.

I am bullish Essendon. It would be good if they could get Big Tone back near his best but with a young list and major improvement likely in coming years from: Perkins, Reid, Cox, Caldwell, McGrath, Draper/Bryan, Hobbs likely to come through and Merrett, Ridley, Redman, Parish, Langford, Laverde, Francis, Snelling still in the early part of their prime, there is a lot of reason to be optimistic.

Well coached. Likely plenty of unspent cap space. What I also loved was how some players I had written off a bit in Shiel, Cutler, Hind fitted in really well with the new style of ball movement from the back half.

I am not certain of their prospects in 2022, though no reason to think they couldn’t do at least as well as last year. But especially from around 2024 I think the Bombers are looking potentially really good. This is around the time the Blues “finasty" should be abruptly ending.

Finasty = dynasty of making finals for about 2 years in succession if you are the Blues. 😁

Back