Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really, Carlton have knocked off 2 good teams. Their fans deserve to be confident and up and about.

I just think referencing beating the reigning premiers in a practice game as some type of measure is far reaching and frankly taking the piss a little.
Regarding "that" practice match... it was the way Carlton's midfield mauled Melbourne's as to why the reference is there. Melbourne had their rolls royce midfield in there and we taken to the cleaners.

Now, were the Demons going all in? Nah, it was a practice game. However Carlton has then repeated the same against two quality sides. The same fashion. When you see what you see in a practice match repeated almost as a replica in the real thing, you take note of it.

I would have it that a few Demons fans would also have that game in their mind when judging how Carlton is playing.

When in a real match, Carlton has to show a lot lot more before even thinking of taking it up to the Dees... however that practice match would give our side/midfield confidence in believing they can.

I can’t deny Carlton look way ahead of us right now, definitely chalk and cheese. But saying you beat the reigning premiers in a practice game and using it as some kind of measure is laughable sorry.
In a practice game. Where blokes are barely going 50%

Who cares? We beat the dogs. It means nothing.
Did you watch the game? Nobody was going at 50%.

I should add the lid is firmly clamped on with Bloods fans. We are still a developing average team and know the road ahead is bumpy. We have hopes of making the 8.

Twelve of our mob was 23 and under on Friday night. A 13th best 22 youngster in McInerney was out injured, standing in the players race and asked permission to join the crowd invasion.

Carlton I think had seven who were 23 or under. Arguably age wise they are in the prime position. Performance over 22 rounds and the Finals if they make it is obviously the test for a cIub that has made up the numbers this century.

I think it is great for the Blues to experience the sweet taste of optimism. Engaging in the old brown blue bagger hubris as my Blue mates are doing is hella funny.
It's a bit different when your side has been in and out of finals for a few years (mostly in) and not starved of recent success.
Blues fans know where it's at. We're just enjoying a bit of rare early season form and having a bit of fun with it at the same time. Oppo supporters get so easily triggered when we show a bit of confidence and excitement.

Mate firstly as others have said it was a preseason match. secondly the dees had 5 of 7 of their premiership defenders out. thirdly they gave up about 8 50 penalties - a number of which directly resulted in goals (do you think that will happen again?). finally, when the dees woke up in the second half, they came back from 6 goals down to get within a kick.

The game means nothing - the dees got trounced by the bulldogs in the preseason last year.

Having said that... Carlton are looking very good so far this season.
"When the Dees woke up"...
You mean when Carlton rested a number of players for the entire 2nd half and played their 2nd string defenders as the forward line?
You probably believe Carlton were full strength in that game.
It obviously doesn't mean anything in terms of premiership points, but anyone who watched that game knows that both sides were trying.

No. I did not remove parts of his post?
Deliberately ignoring the context in the very next line that you were questioning, is pretty much the same as removing it.
You knew exactly when Carlton played and beat Melbourne, but you wanted to make a big deal about it, despite the person who mentioned it already downplaying it and contextualising it as a practice match.

In isolation the pre-season match didn’t mean much, but the players belief has grown (IMO) due to banking the win.

Doubt we beat either the Tigers or Doggies without the knowledge the squad can compete and score quickly.

Watching the collective breakdown of the Dees and the bemusement of their unique bloke captain was the cherry on top.

It's a bit different when your side has been in and out of finals for a few years (mostly in) and not starved of recent success.
Blues fans know where it's at. We're just enjoying a bit of rare early season form and having a bit of fun with it at the same time. Oppo supporters get so easily triggered when we show a bit of confidence and excitement.

My Carlton mates are beside themselves and having a great time. Just getting the Tigers monkey off the back was enough for them - they were off and away... very funny. So enjoy.

Our Friday night stories, still coming out, will have me laughing through the dark times when they inevitably happen for us as it does for all teams. (eg Rampe having a pie with picnic folk on the ground, a tipsy Mrs Horse taking selfies in the goal square with Nick Blakey's mum)

You mean when Carlton rested a number of players for the entire 2nd half and played their 2nd string defenders as the forward line?
It obviously doesn't mean anything in terms of premiership points, but anyone who watched that game knows that both sides were trying.
No I was referencing the Carlton poster who said we were essentially at full strength. And didn't say we weren't trying. From our perspective it was the pre season wake up call exactly when we needed it. It's a shame we don't get to play you until the end of the season.

Even though it was a practice match it was still played a pretty high intensity.

I didn't walk away thinking we could necessarily beat Melbourne but did come away thinking that was good enough to beat more than half the teams in the league. That is all I wanted to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding "that" practice match... it was the way Carlton's midfield mauled Melbourne's as to why the reference is there. Melbourne had their rolls royce midfield in there and we taken to the cleaners.

Now, were the Demons going all in? Nah, it was a practice game. However Carlton has then repeated the same against two quality sides. The same fashion. When you see what you see in a practice match repeated almost as a replica in the real thing, you take note of it.

I would have it that a few Demons fans would also have that game in their mind when judging how Carlton is playing.

When in a real match, Carlton has to show a lot lot more before even thinking of taking it up to the Dees... however that practice match would give our side/midfield confidence in believing they can.

Could easily argue we weren’t going all in for the practice match either. And we took off McKay. JSOS and e Curnow at half time, and Durdin got injured shortly after, meaning our marking targets up forward were Plowman and Parks, and Weitering didn’t play either.

The st kilda practice match we lost last year ended up being a microcosm of our season, able to score but unable to defend and kept giving up easy goals, so I felt the Melbourne game would be a reflection on the side going forward too, just a better one.

I saw enough from that game to make me think we were a top 8 side. Time will tell if the ceiling is even higher than that.

Back