Will Essendon make the 8 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to get some numbers on Essendon's record on winning games after they kick 4 or 5 goals in the opening term. If they're up and about early, I swear they never go down.

Anyway, I think it's unlikely that they play finals. Defending is still as poor as it has been for a few years now and their forward line seems matched by any side with a decent selection of small to medium defenders.

Doubtful I think.....No doubt they’re an exciting team to watch when going, like last night, but to get to 13 wins for finals they will need to find other ways to win. And atm the jury is out on that!

This.

Essendon are an exciting team to watch when they're on, but they do not do what you need to do to win finals in this day and age. Essendon play a fast, run n gun, style of game but finals are won with inside grunt, tackling and bucket loads of pressure on the ball carrier and in the pack. Essendon are not this team. I think from a coaching perspective, they almost refuse to play like that which is bizarre considering they were smashed in the Sydney final in 2016.

Melbourne have had quite a leaky defence this year and Essendon were able to exploit that with fast ball movement to find loose players in position down the ground on the break. Issue is that against teams like Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond their game style will go to butter and they will lose by 40 points.

Will be an interesting next couple of weeks for the Bombers. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win their next two games against Brisbane and North. I think it's important that they do that as I believe they need to build some momentum before they come up against Collingwood and Geelong. Big game against the Lions this round.

with the run into the bye, i'd like to see us only drop games (if at all) to Collingwood and Richmond
Still think both clubs, at the G, have our number. Though if ever there was a year in recent history that we'd beat Richmond, this is it.

Cats at the G is the toughest game we have, but we tend to play them well there. And their usually due their lull period around then.
Swans at the SCG have to be at their most gettable this year.

If we can go into the bye only dropping 2 more max, we'll be 7-4 with a medium level of difficulty in the run home (hawks, eagles in Perth, GWS again being the tough games).

Sustain the form of the last two weeks, and this shouldn't be unrealistic.

Its in our hands. If we play at the level we played at vs Brisbane regularly then yes we will play finals. There are still question marks over our consistency that we won't be able to answer unless we can go on a real winning streak such as 4-5+ games with some decent scalps thrown in. I don't blame non Essendon supporters for not jumping on just yet, we've still got a fair bit to prove first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

Essendon are an exciting team to watch when they're on, but they do not do what you need to do to win finals in this day and age. Essendon play a fast, run n gun, style of game but finals are won with inside grunt, tackling and bucket loads of pressure on the ball carrier and in the pack. Essendon are not this team. I think from a coaching perspective, they almost refuse to play like that which is bizarre considering they were smashed in the Sydney final in 2016.

Melbourne have had quite a leaky defence this year and Essendon were able to exploit that with fast ball movement to find loose players in position down the ground on the break. Issue is that against teams like Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond their game style will go to butter and they will lose by 40 points.
The second half of last season was the complete opposite of what you’re saying. Their form reversal was based on pressure around the ball, tackling, turnovers, and a ferocious intensity. We haven’t seen that so much yet this year which is a concern but at least we know they are capable of it.

The second half of last season was the complete opposite of what you’re saying. Their form reversal was based on pressure around the ball, tackling, turnovers, and a ferocious intensity. We haven’t seen that so much yet this year which is a concern but at least we know they are capable of it.
There was a lot of it on Saturday. It was positive to see.
Structures, effort, execution and work rate was up.

1/4 games...but at least it was our last one. Want to see it continue until Rd23 now.
that game needs to be our standard. It may not beat every side, but it will make us competitive.

This Good Friday key. The problem is that their best gamestyle doesn't seem super sustainable and their Plan B looks ordinary. They'll be either a 7-10 sort of team or (less likely) a Top 4 one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back