Will Etihad Stadium finally break 55,000?

Essendon vs Hawthorn Attendance?

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 40,000- 45,000

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • 45,000- 47,500

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 47,500- 50,000

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 50,000- 52,500

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • 52, 500- 55,000

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hand

Don't think, Do.
May 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Essendon vs Hawthorn in Round 18.

Considering the form of the teams, the rivalry, the Friday night aspect, and the fact these teams always draw big crowds at Docklands, I'm tipping this game to break the record for the highest AFL attendance at the venue. Provided the corporates/medallions/axcess 1 members show up.

The Rugby League drew 56,021 to the 1st state of Origin match.. Why can't we do the same?

Probably because SoO doesn't have reserved seat memberships.

I have a 9 game North reserved seat membership. That seat is mine and can't be resold. For a sellout to occur every member would have to show up and in the real world this just isn't feasible. People pick and choose their games and other things are always popping up stopping people from attending.

Anything over 45 000 is a very, very good AFL attendance. I think Ess/Haw will go close to 50 000.

I'll go with 50-52 K then. Surely 70-80% of Essendon fans with Reserved seats will show up.. Aren't all Essendon home games reserved seat anyway?

the record for ES is 54444 and that was a sunday match between two teams that were 13-0. Depending on the form of both teams, this could break it.

Essendon members can sell back their reserved seat can't they? That'll probably boost the attendance.

Say 8,000 don't rock up for whatever reason. You'd imagine they could fill those seats with neutrals and fans who aren't members. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. Potentially, you could get two or three sell outs a year at Eithad. But realistically, it's hard to do... I'll say 52,500.

Essendon members can sell back their reserved seat can't they? That'll probably boost the attendance.
Yes, Essendon members can sell back their seats which is just perfect for games like this. I am a reserved seating Essendon member, so looking forward to the big game.

Essendon Bombers
Los Angeles Lakers
Melbourne Stars
Victorian Bushrangers
Los Angeles Dodgers
Manchester City

Say 8,000 don't rock up for whatever reason. You'd imagine they could fill those seats with neutrals and fans who aren't members. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. Potentially, you could get two or three sell outs a year at Eithad. But realistically, it's hard to do... I'll say 52,500.

It looks like an identical crowd to Carlton vs Hawthorn in round 22 last year.

Probably because SoO doesn't have reserved seat memberships.

I have a 9 game North reserved seat membership. That seat is mine and can't be resold. For a sellout to occur every member would have to show up and in the real world this just isn't feasible. People pick and choose their games and other things are always popping up stopping people from attending.

Anything over 45 000 is a very, very good AFL attendance. I think Ess/Haw will go close to 50 000.
start counting reserved members in attendence figures, other sports seem to be going down this path.

Collo would want a few blockbusters every year. That and the minimum games required deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

start counting reserved members in attendence figures, other sports seem to be going down this path.
Seems stupid. You're counting them as if they've attended, but the haven't really attended. Might as well call them "People who have paid" figures.

I always thought that some seats don't go on sale for oval sports at Etihad? This is why rugby and soccer have both got higher crowds at the venue.

I always thought that some seats don't go on sale for oval sports at Etihad? This is why rugby and soccer have both got higher crowds at the venue.

On friday I was told that 'standing room is all that's left' So I had to watch standing all night. And looked like at least couple of thousand were doing the same. And there were thousands of free seats on Level 3. This is why Etihad has never had a big crowd. Loads of reserved seats that never get filled.

When you have a 60k capacity stadium and you start selling Standing tickets at 40k something is very wrong.

I was under the impression that some seats on the top level, near the scoreboards, were not sold due to restrictive viewing. This is why AFL crowds, aren't as high as the seats allow.

At the Docklands stadium, IF you want to see the game, you need to understand for footy there are less seats available than there are for the games played on a rectangular ground.
You could take one of the seats with viewing ruined by the coaches boxes & watch it on your ipad - love the ambience ....

At the Docklands stadium, IF you want to see the game, you need to understand for footy there are less seats available than there are for the games played on a rectangular ground.
You could take one of the seats with viewing ruined by the coaches boxes & watch it on your ipad - love the ambience ....
How about using a full size mirror? Set it at the right angle and hey presto full arena viewing!!

On friday I was told that 'standing room is all that's left' So I had to watch standing all night. And looked like at least couple of thousand were doing the same. And there were thousands of free seats on Level 3. This is why Etihad has never had a big crowd. Loads of reserved seats that never get filled.

When you have a 60k capacity stadium and you start selling Standing tickets at 40k something is very wrong.
Those seats weren't reserved though.

Correct - I have a mate who's company have 4 seats on level 2. They get 4 tickets to every game of football at Etihad. If he does not have any one to go those 4 seats will be empty - cannot be re-sold.

Correct - I have a mate who's company have 4 seats on level 2. They get 4 tickets to every game of football at Etihad. If he does not have any one to go those 4 seats will be empty - cannot be re-sold.
Not sure if that's really relevant to what I was saying, but still an interesting point.

Back