Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You should beat GWS they dont play well away
Thank you,

I honestly beleive their midfield is a weakness, if you can control Dangerfield. That said I rate ours and might have to revise that view depending on Saturdays result. Playing away certainly wont be an excuse

I believe the point here is that it's harder to beat the bottom teams because the top teams aren't as good as previously, not because the bottom teams are better.

The bottom teams are better, we have had a number of years of GC and GWS starting out with pretty much every win they had a milestone. That is now gone and all teams should be at a certain level even Essendon missing a 5 or 6 topline players.

The biggest danger for both the cats and hawks is not finishing in the top 2 would have big implications, i have Sydney and West coast finishing 1 and 2, suggesting both sides would have 2 very tough away finals. Brutal for 2 sides that haven't looked that great throughout the year so far (cats looked good against adelaide tbf).

The bottom teams are better, we have had a number of years of GC and GWS starting out with pretty much every win they had a milestone. That is now gone and all teams should be at a certain level even Essendon missing a 5 or 6 topline players.

But they get replaced by other bottom teams. There are 2 teams with 1 win between them after 10 rounds.

But they get replaced by other bottom teams. There are 2 teams with 1 win between them after 10 rounds.

I understand what you're saying, and it might be because the top teams aren't quite as good, but I also think the mid table teams in particular are much better. It's hard to pick any tips of teams between 1 and 10 or 11. I think it's a bit of both options. I just disagree with calling it a "weak year" I guess, no year is easy.

Surely you can't be happy with selling next year's first rounder for a journeyman like Henderson?
So far this year Henderson's recruitment has been worthwhile. He has proven to be one of our most consistent performers in the backline

Thank you,

I honestly beleive their midfield is a weakness, if you can control Dangerfield. That said I rate ours and might have to revise that view depending on Saturdays result. Playing away certainly wont be an excuse

Their midfield is a weakness going up against GWS, but probably a stronger midfield than most other teams. The trouble with Geelong's midfield is that you never know what you will get. Motlop is inconsistent - either brilliant or a liability, Caddy isn't much better (in terms of consistency). Dangerfield is a key pillar, and Selwood is relatively consistent (still building after an interrupted pre-season). Plenty of improvement to come I would've thought. GWS on the other hand, they are absolutely peaking atm. Plus, Mumford will be hard to hold out.

I understand what you're saying, and it might be because the top teams aren't quite as good, but I also think the mid table teams in particular are much better. It's hard to pick any tips of teams between 1 and 10 or 11. I think it's a bit of both options. I just disagree with calling it a "weak year" I guess, no year is easy.
a weak year doesn't make it 'easier' to win a flag but rather a team does not have to be as good as teams in past years (as in objectively) to still be a flag threat. the 'weakness' of all the top teams will manifest in more upset losses such as Carlton-Geelong; Sydney-Richmond ,etc.

a weak year doesn't make it 'easier' to win a flag but rather a team does not have to be as good as teams in past years (as in objectively) to still be a flag threat. the 'weakness' of all the top teams will manifest in more upset losses such as Carlton-Geelong; Sydney-Richmond ,etc.

Yeah potentially. Though Richmond are more a mid-ranked team, I hope North don't stumble tonight. I'm sure plenty are predicting we will.

I'm calling it now, they are shoe ins for the flag.

When Dangerfield and Selwood turn it on the Cats are unbeatable.

GWS are a very solid outfit and they were completely outplayed by Geelong today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok well I've posted in this thread that Geelong were vulerable in the midfield. Also that I might have to reconsider after todays game

Its after the game and I have reconsidered. I withdraw my comment.

I'm calling it now, they are shoe ins for the flag.

When Dangerfield and Selwood turn it on the Cats are unbeatable.

GWS are a very solid outfit and they were completely outplayed by Geelong today.

Not sure about that but the I50's differential of 76 to 48 today was stark and "should" have resulted in a comprehensive win rather than a grinding 10 pointer arm wrestle to the finish.

The Cats have a big issue in converting their forays going forward and currently lack the poise to finish off the good work from up the field. This will need to improve significantly if they wish to contend at the business end.

I didn't want to be the one to bump this thread, but I am so glad it did.

How many of the top 8 do you have to defeat to be considered serious contenders?

It might be offset somewhat by how many games you lose to the bottom eight.
Maybe, but as long as you make the 8, you only have to worry about beating those around you. Hawks have done that just fine the last few years.

I rate Tom Hawkins massively and did when everyone thought he wouldn't make it.

But in the games I've seen he seems to be stagnating.

Anyone else think he should try dropping some weight and becoming a bit more mobile?
I think you'll find he did drop some weight but yeah maybe more this summer as well

I rate Tom Hawkins massively and did when everyone thought he wouldn't make it.

But in the games I've seen he seems to be stagnating.

Anyone else think he should try dropping some weight and becoming a bit more mobile?
Our game plan isn't helping him. A game plan based around flooding numbers in our forward 50 and creating a press and repeat entries. He's no longer a crash and bash forward.

Clark is back tomorrow, he may be needed to give Hawkins a chop out and take a good opponent away from him.

Oh and it'd also help him if we didn't aimlessly bomb long every game.

Back