Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
The only team that can beat Geelong this year is Geelong, and they have two issues that need rectifying.

First issue is their conversion, which they are ranked 18th in the league for.

Second issue is their habit of talking teams lightly when they are expected to win easily, see the games against GWS (1st game), Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon.

Geelong fix these two issues and absolutely nothing will stop them from winning the premiership this year.

The strange thing is, while we're inaccurate, the opposition team can't miss!

North: 12.2
GWS: 14.4
Carl: 16.8
Pies:16.8
Crows:11.6
WCE: 12.7

You have to go back to our game vs Port round 6 to get a team that got more behinds then goals. Add to that, rushed behinds and it's insane.

Still have to beat Doggies next week and then 2 weeks to the Swans. After that,we've played all the contenders and we'll see how we go there.

Top 4.

Their soft draw leading into finals may be an issue.
Or a boon depending how you look at it, it certainly helps our top 4/2 aspirations.

We to have a tough run of Sydney, Freo in Perth, Adelaide, and The Doggies before our direct run home.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

You have to go back to our game vs Port round 6 to get a team that got more behinds then goals. Add to that, rushed behinds and it's insane.

Still have to beat Doggies next week and then 2 weeks to the Swans. After that,we've played all the contenders and we'll see how we go there.

It might not be strange - I didn't see all the games but last night North was allowed marks in gettable spots, they weren't just kicking well from tough positions. Geelong's misses seemed to be partly down to where shots were taken from.

Anyway, I can't say it was a pleasure to watch, but last night was the Geelong I saw beat Adelaide, and if they play like that they can beat anyone. Dangerfield was ridiculous but had very good support at clearances and around the ground. North was hamstrung, but Geelong took full advantage with pressure and especially spread.

Should be confident against the Dogs, and the Sydney game should be fantastic.

A bit scary that they also clearly have room for improvement back and up forward.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Or a boon depending how you look at it, it certainly helps our top 4/2 aspirations.

We to have a tough run of Sydney, Freo in Perth, Adelaide, and The Doggies before our direct run home.

You will have no trouble with the Swans down at Sleep Hollow. They only turn up down there because they are obliged too along with their 500 supporters that your club allows a ticket.

dangerwood

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
You will have no trouble with the Swans down at Sleep Hollow. They only turn up down there because they are obliged too along with their 500 supporters that your club allows a ticket.
500? I didn't even think we let that many.

My favourite part use to be how we didnt even let the cheer squad sit behind the goals but rather off in the fwd pocket serving little purpose.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Geelong beating North last night makes things really interesting. North have stumbled against challenges from two top 4 contenders, so the jury is out. Sydney are thereabouts and probably flag favourites at this point and rightly so, Geelong in their day can roll anyone. They have a strong midfield, strong defence, and a capable and flexible forward line. Can't wait to see Syd v Geelong.

The Western Bulldogs are on track for top 4 if they keep doing what they're doing, injuries to key players might impact them in September but they have X factors to upset teams.

Adelaide & Hawthorn are both dark horses. You could mount a case for Hawthorn having their best chance yet with no real stand out opponent. If they can get into top 4 theyvcould roll anyone in week 1, get the week off and have an MCG prelim. Percentage is the issue for them at this point.

Adelaide are my smoky. Getting into the top 4 is going to be tough if others keep winning, and not having a home final first up may also cause problems. But they've got a lethal forward line, great midfield, and more X factors than that show called X Factor.

I also don't believe anyone from outside the top 4 can win it. My opinion is that it'll be Sydney, Geelong, or Hawks flag. I also think some straight sets exits might be on the cards, and some upsets are due to occur with no obvious standout.

I'd personally love a grand final between Geelong v Bulldogs, but let's wait and see!

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
A soft draw last year has sure exposed West Coast.

Already played GWS (x2), Hawthorn, North Melbourne, West Coast and Adelaide (away) for a 5-1 record.

We've played the same number of current top 8 teams as Hawthorn has, and more than North has.

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Already played GWS (x2), Hawthorn, North Melbourne, West Coast and Adelaide (away) for a 5-1 record.

We've played the same number of current top 8 teams as Hawthorn has, and more than North has.
I think the point is you want to play some decent opposition in the lead up to finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the point is you want to play some decent opposition in the lead up to finals.
While they probably won't be finalists, both Richmond and Melbourne could put up a real fight on their day and will hopefully serve as worthy challengers at the time. The 'easier' games at the back-end might also assist with reducing injuries eg. resting players or giving a week off for injuries normally played through.

Having said that with the mandatory break factored in by week 1 of the finals it'll have been 6 weeks since we played a fellow finals contender

Leading into the season we'd have thought Richmond would be. Melbourne may still be a good warm up, on their day they can play some hard, tough footy.

Pro-tip: you can probably disregard the opinions of someone who posts more about a single opposition club on here than the club that they actually support.
yup.. called troll alias acct...

GO Catters

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
While they probably won't be finalists, both Richmond and Melbourne could put up a real fight on their day and will hopefully serve as worthy challengers at the time. The 'easier' games at the back-end might also assist with reducing injuries eg. resting players or giving a week off for injuries normally played through.

Having said that with the mandatory break factored in by week 1 of the finals it'll have been 6 weeks since we played a fellow finals contender

Perhaps Fremantle away, as well. I think, on one hand, it's highly likely that Richmond (Round 21) and Melbourne (Round 23) will just be playing for pride at that stage, whereas we will almost certainly playing for top four/top two, whereas it's quite conceivable that Fremantle could be on a five game winning streak (Port at home, Collingwood at the MCG and Melbourne in Darwin) when the teams meet and the Dockers could genuinely be generating some 'Could they do a 2014 Richmond?' buzz. Sandilands (who always destroys Geelong) could also be back by that stage.

I don't see a big issue with the perceived 'easy' run home, though. In our recent premiership years, perhaps we did play against a couple of tougher opponents in the last month, but by that stage, we were locked into the top two and could afford to go through the motions in those games, regardless of how good the opposition was.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

I think that's just a by-product of our gamestyle, although it definitely emphasies how we can ill-afford to continually miss gettable shots and to turn the ball over directly from an inside 50. I think if we'd had North's shots and they'd had ours, we probably would have kicked at least 10.4 and they might have kicked 17.13. That's significant, but I don't think our kicking was as bad as it might have looked on paper. We didn't seem to miss that many sodas, and we didn't completely butcher opportunities from set shots inside 50, by trying stupid 15m passes to the forward pocket. Kersten and Menzel also continued to establish themselves as genuine quality forward options and hopefully their continued emergence (hopefully Menzel isn't out for long, if at all) will allow Hawkins to be taking more marks 35m out directly in front, as opposed to on the boundary line.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Just a lazy 10 goal flogging of a so called premiership contender tonight, at their home ground nonetheless.

10-3 and top of the ladder after 13 rounds, we are back where we belong.

We will have a 19-3 or 18-4 home and away record to go with our 2016 premiership, same as the home and away records we had to go with our 2007, 2009 and 2011 premierships :thumbsu:

ajdude

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Just a lazy 10 goal flogging of a so called premiership contender tonight, at their home ground nonetheless.

We will have a 19-3 or 18-4 home and away record to go with our 2016 premiership, same as the home and away records we had to go with our 2007, 2009 and 2011 premierships :thumbsu:
ffs dude

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams

shut the * up

Back