Opinion Will Geelong's boutique home ground ruin the Cats final chances?

Remove this Banner Ad

But aren’t all grounds a bit different?
Yes they are but Geelong is radically different,its 116m wide and the Moorabal St side is shorter on the wings, so it's not symmetrical. Cats players train there 5 days a week, oppo players play there once every 2 to 3 years. Meanwhile ever other non- interstate club plays at two very familiar grounds to everybody. That's just my opinion.

Look I've said this before, but being forced to play at a radical shaped ground where half your team has never played, seems an unfair advantage to Geelong. West Coast had zero chance of getting the 4 points this year and to me it skews the fair balance of the comp.I'm not alone in these thoughts.
What rubbish. If players can't adjust to the different ovals, either they or their coaches need to be sacked.

West Coast had every chance at four points, they just were not good enough.

Geeze you Tiger supporters are front runners. As soon as things get tough you look for more hand outs from the AFL. You guys need a culture change.

What rubbish. If players can't adjust to the different ovals, either they or their coaches need to be sacked.

West Coast had every chance at four points, they just were not good enough.

Geeze you Tiger supporters are front runners. As soon as things get tough you look for more hand outs from the AFL. You guys need a culture change.

We've always had a narrow home ground and been utter trash at the narrow KP. Now we have a shorter, wider home ground and are still utter trash at KP. Same as the SCG, it's a mental thing. No idea what the dimensions are at Adelaide Oval but we've won 8/10 there or something like that. The team that seems to have the most success at KP is Sydney who play on a completely dissimilar home ground.

Look I've said this before, but being forced to play at a radical shaped ground where half your team has never played, seems an unfair advantage to Geelong. .
And how about Geelong having to play the 2017 QF on Richmond's home ground despite Geelong finishing above Richmond in the H&A?

And how about Geelong having to play the 2017 QF on Richmond's home ground despite Geelong finishing above Richmond in the H&A?
Geelong plays at least 7 games a year at the G,so they should be familiar enough with it.It would be a sick joke for Richmond to play at Kardinia Park in a final.You would lock out 40,000 people and imo the ground is not worthy of a final.

Trivia Question, have West Coast ever played Geelong at the MCG in a H&A match? I'm thinking no. Are the 92 and 94 Grand Finals the only time Eagles have played Geelong at the MCG or was there another final some time?

Never in a H&A match. We played you in a final at Waverley in 1991 (we lost), the MCG for the two Grand Finals (we lost) and at the MCG in 2011 (we won).

It's basically an outer suburb of Melbourne now. It was only a legitimate country team in the days of the horse and cart.
According to Wikipedia "Geelong is a port city located on Corio Bay and the Barwon River, in the state of Victoria, Australia. Geelong is 75 kilometres (47 mi) south-west of the state .. " Not quite an 'outer suburb'. Back to Earth Major Tom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong plays at least 7 games a year at the G,so they should be familiar enough with it.It would be a sick joke for Richmond to play at Kardinia Park in a final.You would lock out 40,000 people and imo the ground is not worthy of a final.
Your whole thread is about the fairness of our home ground and at the first opportunity you dish off fairness in favour of rigging the fixture.

You are a hypocrite.

Why did Geelong start playing 4 games a year at Docklands in 2000?
I don't think all 4 were home games? Regardless, any 'home' games played at Docklands was NOT by choice

Yes for some reason Geelong gets about 7 games a year at the MCG. We get 2! And we are a Melbourne team. Their bellyaching makes me sick.

Your whole thread is about the fairness of our home ground and at the first opportunity you dish off fairness in favour of rigging the fixture.

You are a hypocrite.
So do you think Geelong should be able to host finals at Kardinia Park?

So what. Doesn’t excuse the excitement your team dished up that day, just as the ground factor dies t excuse what we served up in the QF

Sorry to tell you but it’s not the home team’s concern if the visitors gave f*** all support there

I don't think all 4 were home games? Regardless, any 'home' games played at Docklands was NOT by choice
Not an official position but I think it was an attempt to make Docklands our Melbourne home to appease/appeal to Melbourne based Cats fans.

It's easier to get to from Geelong, although I think they used to run the trains from Geelong to the MCG for Cats games, regardless all Geelong trains finish at the Docklands station, then and now.

Cats have a decent MCC membership representation as per this:
GqEOmu9.png

Not sure why exactly but suspect a combination of MCC fans, more of Melbourne having better train links to MCG than Docklands and $$$ return on games meaning we'd be better off with 24,000 at KP than 45,000 at Docklands would have contributed to the push for more games at home and the rest at the G.

Still we continued to play Carlton, Essendon (still do) and, curiously North, at Docklands for years. North has changed a bit but hosted plenty of 'home' games there against them.

I don't know why so many people care about Geelong playing at KP. I mean it's in Geelong and they are Geelong... Half the Melbourne teams don't even have to go there anyway. If they get a soft run to the finals each year and then fail each year then isn't that a good thing? See Richmond 2017. Geelong finish top 2 and you are 3rd/4th and an MCG regular that's a bonus isn't it?

The fact that when Richmond were good they were rubbish away from the MCG was a positive. I'm more than happy to play a team that can't travel than a team like Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney of recent years who I knew would come here and give us a real contest. And I'm sure Collingwood/Geelong were happy hosting us in 2011 when we were 11-1 in Perth and 6-4 away.

When Geelong were good they flogged teams at KP and won finals at the G. Since then they've been not quite as good and have flogged teams at KP and not won finals at the G. Such an odd thing people seem to get upset about. And I say as a fan of a team that pretty much forfeits when they play there.

What are you talking about? There's a thread called will Tom Lynch ruin Richmond on the MB? Bigfooty is awash with Geelong supporters you represent 1/18th of all clubs.

You’ve raised the Tom Lynch thread several times. Here’s an idea, genius: rather than being a baby and using that as an excuse to start equally moronic threads, why don’t you point your ire at that thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back