Will Giannis Antetokounmpo stay with the Bucks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If not, where does he potentially go? I've seen Golden State Warriors and Miami linked as big players for his signature if he does move on. I hope he wins at least one ring with the Bucks though and would love to see him stay there long term.

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He'll stay. The Bucks have done everything right by him and his family, even down to giving his brother a roster spot. He came from nothing and is a loyal guy. He doesn't need the bright lights and no one can pay him more than the Bucks anyway.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I hope he stays. I mean Giannis with Steph and Klay would be amazing to watch but haven't we seen that movie before?

He'll either stay or go to a contending team. The salary cap is so regimented the most money he can get is by staying or doing a sign and trade. It's not like he can join some lottery team and get $50m a year because their roster sucks and they have cap room, and why would he want to go from being the franchise player on a small market team that last year was almost finals quality to join another dud team in his prime?

I don't know much about him off the court other than that he was drafted out of Greece, so he's not American and didn't go through the college system. I don't know who his friends are in the NBA but it's not like he's got a banana boat team to reunite with. If he wanted to build a super team and win rings then Golden State is the obvious choice with the GOAT back court.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
From everything I've heard about him, Giannis a bit old school. Doesnt be all buddy buddy with other superstars, doesnt want to make super teams, wants to beat all the best players. Milwaukee can also give him the most money. So I think he stays, and I hope that he does. It will be good for Milwaukee, a small market team. They could win the championship this season too which would mean even less reason to move. Wait and see I guess.

Lol if GSW win the lottery though and then Giannis joins. Giannis, Steph, Klay, Draymond, Wiggins and No.1 draft pick. Yikes.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Legacy of a championship with bucks >>>>>>>> legacy of a championship if he goes a another team that builds around him >> legacy of a championship if he goes to a contender.

If the bucks were really failing at putting a team around him I wouldn’t blame him for leaving but they’ve made a decent effort at building around him.

Sep 21, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
He stay. Life's set up in Milwaukee and the organisation has done everything right by him. Truly believe he'll win a chip with them.

All the extra stuff in the bigger markets is just hubris and excess to him from the sounds of it too, so doubt it'll weigh heavily in his decision making on choosing whether he stays or leaves.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Lol if GSW win the lottery though and then Giannis joins. Giannis, Steph, Klay, Draymond, Wiggins and No.1 draft pick. Yikes.

That would have to be at the end of 2021 when Giannis is a free agent. Warriors already have $152m tied up for the 2021/22 season (and #1 pick would be ~$10m) so as it stands they aren't able to sign Giannis.

If the Warriors really wanted Giannis they would most likely have to punt Wiggins (given) and break up Steph-Klay-Dray.

PG Curry
SG Thompson
SF role player
PF Giannis
C role player

bench: no one

That's possible.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
That would have to be at the end of 2021 when Giannis is a free agent. Warriors already have $152m tied up for the 2021/22 season (and #1 pick would be ~$10m) so as it stands they aren't able to sign Giannis.

If the Warriors really wanted Giannis they would most likely have to punt Wiggins (given) and break up Steph-Klay-Dray.

PG Curry
SG Thompson
SF role player
PF Giannis
C role player

bench: no one

That's possible.
Not really possible though as the Bucks aren't trading Giannis for Wiggins and Green. Giannis will just stay at the Bucks for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Not really possible though as the Bucks aren't trading Giannis for Wiggins and Green. Giannis will just stay at the Bucks for mine.

Possible, just not likely. Warriors would have to give up players to create cap space and then picks to make it worth the Bucks offloading Giannis a year early.

Point being they can't have Steph-Klay-Dray-Giannis-Wiggins and the #1 pick. The rules don't allow it.

If I was the Bucks' GM I probably wouldn't bother trading Giannis to GS. Might get two early picks but if you are rebuilding you don't want Klay or Dray and Wiggins isn't worth the cap space.

beatnik

Grizzled veteran
Jun 27, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
mavs, swan districts
It’s a long shot but the Mavs will have max space when he enters free agency...if Giannis teamed up with Luka and KP to form a Euro Big Three, it would be a nightmare for the rest of the league

beatnik

Grizzled veteran
Jun 27, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
mavs, swan districts
More rumor Giannis to Dallas.

I reckon he stays at Milwaukee

they can, and will, offer him a super max so its the most likely...the way the Heat are currently belting the Bucks could certainly make him wonder whether Milwaukee have the playmaker and floor general needed to unlock his unique talents

also, just leaving this here... 😉

C612D3FA-E41B-43F6-80F1-E7F04DB08427.jpeg

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Stein] There are rival teams that believe Milwaukee will explore trading for Chris Paul -- complicated as that would be financially -- if Oklahoma City indeed makes CP3 available via trade. One more thing to track as the Bucks enter perhaps the most crucial offseason in team history

Giannis: "Some have put the team over the players health, I love the organization for that, they protected me..my organization put my health over game 5 and that's big for me"

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
CP3 + Giannis would be great, but the $40m a year contract and the fact OKC have no appetite to just give him away to get that contract off the books makes it tough.

Ideally, the Bucks can add CP3 and keep Giannis, Middleton and Brook Lopez. Give up too much and they'll end up like the Lakers. Middleton is 29 and owed $33m, $35m, $38m, $40m the next 4 seasons. I doubt that appeals to OKC.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
CP3 + Giannis would be great, but the $40m a year contract and the fact OKC have no appetite to just give him away to get that contract off the books makes it tough.

Ideally, the Bucks can add CP3 and keep Giannis, Middleton and Brook Lopez. Give up too much and they'll end up like the Lakers. Middleton is 29 and owed $33m, $35m, $38m, $40m the next 4 seasons. I doubt that appeals to OKC.

Why would okc keep him?

Surely they should rebuild instead of being a nowhere team?

If Giannis signs the Supermax the bucks can take some risks. They have been conservative so far

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Why would okc keep him?

Surely they should rebuild instead of being a nowhere team?

If Giannis signs the Supermax the bucks can take some risks. They have been conservative so far

Why would they give him away for nothing? They'll be garbage in 2020/21 without any benefit.

He was an all star this year and nearly took a team that lost Westbrook and George out of the first round.

What is the motivation of OKC to turn two years of Paul at $40m into 3 or 4 years of Bledsoe, Middleton, Hill, whoever?

Teams want CP3, he has value. If OKC are smart they will offload him this year for picks/young players/expiring contracts for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back