Delisted Will Gould [delisted]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think a couple of teams will have a good look at Will this year.
He has been pretty consistent in the reserves for Sydney, and just can't break into the team.
You would think his management would be taking calls from teams who have a need for him now.
I think he would suit Port and possibly the Crows if Doedee leaves.
Wouldn't cost much in a trade, maybe a third rounder.

TBH I have no idea why we drafted him. Good honest player who tries hard but at that size agility becomes a must, it's his weakness. Think we traded up for him too....

Token pick would be nice but I'm thinking a delisting is brewing.

I would assume they expected him to get fitter. He was playing regular SANFL football and playing well in his draft year. He was listed at 106kg which is astonishing to be drafted at that weight. Was rated in the in the 20-25 range in alot of mock drafts at the time so it made sense to pick him. Without seeing him lately it just seems like he is a decent footballer at the lower level but can't get upto speed with AFL football. Dylan Williams was taken in a similar range that draft and was horrendously unfit until he was read the riot act delisted/rookied and went out and got a personal trainer over the offseason.

Needs to play in the right system. Was always going to look shocking with poor players around him due to injury. When teams focus on the small hit up leads he gets found out.

I'm personally a fan and think he can be a component in the right backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would assume they expected him to get fitter. He was playing regular SANFL football and playing well in his draft year. He was listed at 106kg which is astonishing to be drafted at that weight. Was rated in the in the 20-25 range in alot of mock drafts at the time so it made sense to pick him. Without seeing him lately it just seems like he is a decent footballer at the lower level but can't get upto speed with AFL football. Dylan Williams was taken in a similar range that draft and was horrendously unfit until he was read the riot act delisted/rookied and went out and got a personal trainer over the offseason.
Just an early bloomer. Not that talented.

Delisted.

Swans fans, I noticed he kicked a few goals in the back half of the year in the VFL. Reckon he could he be useful as a third tall forward?

Yeah could be. Reckon he showed something. Not enough time to really know whether it's enough (particularly with our VFL midfield which was pretty dire at times).

If he's not picked up by an AFL club then I would hope whatever SANFL club he ends up playing for he's allowed to play as a bustling FF. He's a lovely kick, big body, strong mark. Not very agile but surprisingly quick in a straight line. Very much an old school FF type if he was to make it.

I mean I’d have thought he’d be as useful as an injured Trent McKenzie, who is obviously a lot better fit, but plays undersized and needs to be 100% fit to compete. If he wants to return to SA there’d be worse options for Port if McKenzie & Clurey leave end of 2024.

Aliir, Rat & BZT is their first choice talls but if one goes down?

I mean I’d have thought he’d be as useful as an injured Trent McKenzie, who is obviously a lot better fit, but plays undersized and needs to be 100% fit to compete. If he wants to return to SA there’d be worse options for Port if McKenzie & Clurey leave end of 2024.

Aliir, Rat & BZT is their first choice talls but if one goes down?
Would have thought your team would be keen to find a defender after losing Mcakay...

Delisted.

Swans fans, I noticed he kicked a few goals in the back half of the year in the VFL. Reckon he could he be useful as a third tall forward?
To be honest, I don't watch reserves, but Gould isn't AFL quality anyway. Dropped for Melican (who is/was a bit of a whipping boy for us) after 2 full games says a lot.

Would have thought your team would be keen to find a defender after losing Mcakay...

We're actually kind of stacked with serviceable defenders, we only want for an A grader. If you say that our seniors will be Rampe, McCartin and Melican, then that leaves Hamling, Francis, Arnold, and our rookie Will Edwards as our leftover KPDs without Will Gould.

We're actually kind of stacked with serviceable defenders, we only want for an A grader. If you say that our seniors will be Rampe, McCartin and Melican, then that leaves Hamling, Francis, Arnold, and our rookie Will Edwards as our leftover KPDs without Will Gould.
Agreed, which is why my comment was about the Roos.

5 interweb bux says one of cats/power/crows puts him on their list within 36 months. Perhaps as soon as 12 months.
He has every right to fight for his career. He's done some growing up, had a good apprenticeship, and now knows that he needs to work his arse off for it.
If he truly wants it, i have little doubt he'll be back. Happy to back him in. Always best to grab them when nobody wants them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back