Will Hawthorn make the 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingy is a special unit. LOL @ his prediction though. Thanks Davo.

Hawthorn weren't disgraced in any of their two finals but one shouldn't mistake brief patches of breaking even or being slightly on top with controlling the game.
We were miles off. Played defensive, cautious footy and needed to take EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY that presented and we didn't.

That's okay - it was a bit of a rebuild year for us.

Played on hawthorn terms

Ha while losing by 6 goals

Laughable
Played on Hawthorn's terms for majority of the night.
Won the inside 50 count by 4, and had 3 less shots on goal.
Kicked 6 straight behinds in the second.
Should've and could've won the game had we taken some opportunities.

It's only 'laughable' if you'd not watched the game, or if you just consider the final score to be the only context.

It's only 'laughable' if you'd not watched the game, or if you just consider the final score to be the only context.
What utterly useless stats.

A brief scare in the last quarter before we put our foot down and it was over. You were never really in it.

So had hawks kick an additional 7 goals they would have won?
Right. Noted

Yes and sure the hawks were plucky but you get to a point where you got to concede the other side were better.
They won. They were better.

This whole thing started because someone said that Hawthorn were “dismantled” which simply did not happen.

surely you understand momentum??
I wasn't too thrilled with the way the cards fell last September. Richmond and then Melbourne were probably the worst possible match-ups for our boys. I would've preferred the Eagles and then GWS or Pies.

It was always going to be an uphill battle vs Melbourne. The Dees had the crowd, momentum, hunger and self-belief. We had too many of our good players struggling with injury niggles (Mitchell, Burgoyne, Breust, Gunston, Hardwick) . Plus our kids were overawed on the night. It left us short-handed. We were outgunned and probably did okay to stay in the contest for as long as we did. I thought the Dees were pretty s**t actually, but they still won quite comfortably in the end.

The Hawks had already run their race just making the finals. We had won 4 successive cliffhangers from Rounds 19-23 (beating Ess, Geel, St K and Syd) . These were virtual Elimination Finals, followed by the rain-affected slog versus the pumped-up Tigers. We were a tired team in September. Not just saying that because we lost. We looked spent.

Naturally, it gave every doubter and hater the chance to say "I told you so!".
Finally, they were right after they'd been proved wrong for the previous 5 months

Last edited:
I must be an idiot.
When I look at Hawthorn's midfield I see a shallow mix of decent players past their prime (except for Smith who is still excellent) and young guys who could be very good one day but can't be relied upon to provide consistent output yet.
Pretty much every other team has a deeper midfield (except GC) with a couple of gun mids in their prime.
Armchair critics have been saying shiels is crap for years now your saying is past his prime? Who else are you suggesting is past their prime Burgoyne? Hardly a revelation of a statement. Look at the list profile of our midfield group, there isn't anyone in their other than Burgoyne that is over 30. I agree with the inexperienced side of things but Jaeger, Shiels, Howe, impey, Scully and Wingard are all mid to late 20s. Again if your going to have an opinion on the midfield get your facts right.

I wasn't too thrilled with the way the cards fell last September. Richmond and then Melbourne were probably the worst possible match-ups for our boys. I would've preferred the Eagles and then GWS or Pies.

It was always going to be an uphill battle vs Melbourne. The Dees had the crowd, momentum, hunger and self-belief. We had too many of our good players struggling with injury niggles (Mitchell, Burgoyne, Breust, Gunston, Hardwick) . Plus our kids were overawed on the night. It left us short-handed. We were outgunned and probably did okay to stay in the contest for as long as we did. I thought the Dees were pretty s**t actually, but they still won quite comfortably in the end.

The Hawks had already run their race just making the finals. We had won 4 successive cliffhangers from Rounds 19-23 (beating Ess, Geel, St K and Syd) . These were virtual Elimination Finals, followed by the rain-affected slog versus the pumped-up Tigers. We were a tired team in September. Not just saying that because we lost. We looked spent.

Naturally, it gave every doubter and hater the chance to say "I told you so!".
Finally, they were right after they'd been proved wrong for the previous 5 months

Losing Jaeger and Titch left us a bit thin.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Armchair critics have been saying shiels is crap for years now your saying is past his prime? Who else are you suggesting is past their prime Burgoyne? Hardly a revelation of a statement. Look at the list profile of our midfield group, there isn't anyone in their other than Burgoyne that is over 30. I agree with the inexperienced side of things but Jaeger, Shiels, Howe, impey, Scully and Wingard are all mid to late 20s. Again if your going to have an opinion on the midfield get your facts right.

McEvoy, Henderson, Scully are the battling older players I was referring too, they wouldn't get a run at any team contending for finals. That list you produced is not impressive either.
Hawthorn had a great run, but it's over now.
Don't get fooled by last year's dead cat bounce.

McEvoy, Henderson, Scully are the battling older players I was referring too, they wouldn't get a run at any team contending for finals. That list you produced is not impressive either.
They were part of a team that played finals last year

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Are you trying to write deliberately stupid s**t?

If they keep playing like this, no problems.

Cousins looks good.

It is pre-season. Carlton went 2-0 last pre season and I think West Coast got dominated by Freo.

We all need to wait till the actual action starts.

I watched the second quarter and Richmond look like they are in injury prevention mode.

It is pre-season. Carlton went 2-0 last pre season and I think West Coast got dominated by Freo.

We all need to wait till the actual action starts.

I watched the second quarter and Richmond look like they are in injury prevention mode.

Oh, NO WAY would we be that premature. You would have to be an idiot to be making big JUDGMENTAL statements about Hawthorn in March.

*s sake Hawks. You had me cheering you on.

In all honesty, you guys played great. Once you get your full team on the park, you'll be a thorn in many teams side. Scary if Mitchell was fit.

Malty reckons Carlton will have as many wins as hawthorn 10

This year btw
Which isn't necessarily as unlikely as you'd like to believe. Everyone always assumes the clubs at the bottom one year stay at the bottom the following year, but Carlton have been accumulating high quality young players for a long while now. There's every chance they could break out this year like the Doggies did in 2015, West Coast in 2011, or even your club back in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back