Will Hawthorn make the 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone had Collingwood making the 8 after round 3 let alone the Granny. This is one player, yes he may be the best in the AFL but Collingwood had half their side out and found hidden gems. Expect Minchington, Mohr, Moore, Morrison and Howe to become house-hold names.
That's my point, you have heard of them but they haven't become household names yet. People inside of Waverley know these guys have the talent to step up this season. This is Dylan Moore. Not the one that played for Richmond
A typical too old, too slow? Burgoyne looks like he still has 3 years left, Smith, Poppy, Stratton and McEvoy are not slowing down. The list at the bottom are all promising. i don't see the point of this?
In all honesty I'd be shocked if Hawks don't win the next 5 premierships.

Howe is 23 years old and played 50 games and yet I can't even picture what type of player he is. That might be my fault, but he hasn't left any sort of impression on me, or done anything that I have particularly noticed. As for Minchington I have never heard of him, I thought Mohr played for GWS, Moore for Richmond and Morrison, I think I have heard of him, but I am not sure.

Still in saying all that Hawthorn still have some very good players, it is just they are more thinly spread than they used to be.
just go to 5 minutes for a refresher on Morrison ;)

I thought they would make it before Mitchell's injury now I reckon they will just miss out. If I had to put a % on it I'd say about 35% of making the 8. Its not impossible but they will need to keep the remainder of their good players on the park, have significant development from youngsters and be able to find ways to be effective through the midfield which was already a weakness before losing a brownlow medalist.

On the plus side, their forward line is very good and if they can work out their midfield they will score.

They overachieved last year by finishing 4th and that was proven to be true with a straight sets exit.

If their younger mids can take the next step they might finish in the 5th-8th bracket but without Mitchell it’s more likely that they finish just outside of the 8 this year with some emerging sides on the cusp of finals.

Their forward line is great in terms of small to medium sized forwards but with Roughead looking like a shadow of his former self in 2018 they are missing a tall forward.

Well they still have Gunston and then Roughhead even on his last legs is still useful. Plus Mitch Lewis is coming through and seems to have some talent. I agree its not the best set of key forwards ever but as an overall forward line its still very good. Not many teams have genuine quality in the second tall forward position and it doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for performing well either.

Well they still have Gunston and then Roughhead even on his last legs is still useful. Plus Mitch Lewis is coming through and seems to have some talent. I agree its not the best set of key forwards ever but as an overall forward line its still very good. Not many teams have genuine quality in the second tall forward position and it doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for performing well either.

I see Gunston as more of a medium forward, but I suppose that could just be semantics, and I just looked him up, he is a bit taller than I thought as I thought he was 191cm but according to wikipedia he is 193.

They overachieved last year by finishing 4th and that was proven to be true with a straight sets exit.

If their younger mids can take the next step they might finish in the 5th-8th bracket but without Mitchell it’s more likely that they finish just outside of the 8 this year with some emerging sides on the cusp of finals.
We played 9 games against the finals teams during H&A and won 5. We may not have had a legit chance at a flag, but that's a lazy take given we suffered key injuries in both finals games. Hardwick, Stratton in the first then Burgoyne and Mitchell broke bones in the second.

I don't really expect any kid to step up in the midfield, that'd be a bonus but I do expect our current guys like O'Meara and Worpel to make small strides in their game I think we should get 6th or 7th without Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, i thought Mitchell was ineffective?

Most core mids are rubbish thesedays. Even Don't argue Dusty and Can't Clearance Danger. So it's all relative. In comparison to the rest of the comp he's good but as far as an AFL star the bar has dropped significantly. Would have Joel Cory carrying my team over him anyday

I don't think anyone had Collingwood making the 8 after round 3 let alone the Granny. This is one player, yes he may be the best in the AFL but Collingwood had half their side out and found hidden gems. Expect Minchington, Mohr, Moore, Morrison and Howe to become house-hold names.
Collingwood also have the best midfield in the competition with the best depth.

Hawthorn not so much.

Most core mids are rubbish thesedays. Even Don't argue Dusty and Can't Clearance Danger. So it's all relative. In comparison to the rest of the comp he's good but as far as an AFL star the bar has dropped significantly. Would have Joel Cory carrying my team over him anyday
Then why is everyone saying Hawthorn's season is done?

Collingwood also have the best midfield in the competition with the best depth.

Hawthorn not so much.
If someone told you at the start of last year Collingwood had the best depth, you'd be laughing. We know they have the best depth now because of how good they replaced their injured players. Appleby, Miochek, Sier, Brown etc were seen exactly like Cousins, Howe, Morrison and Minchington are now

Because their key player is injured. But Scully and Wingard 2019 will probably be a better midfield imo

Isn't Wingard best as a forward?

As for Scully, it sounds like no one knows if he will ever get back to the fitness he needs in order to be a really good midfielder again. Hawthorn got him for a packet of chips because neither GWS or Hawthorn were sure Scully would ever get fit again, and Hawthorn were willing to take the punt that he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back