Will Hawthorn make the 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Before Mitchell's injury I would have said probably yes, but now it is much harder as their midfield, especially their in and under stocks are not brilliant. They also have some huge question marks over a few of their players like Burchill, O'Meara and Scully, Burchill having been injured a lot the last few years and Scully seems like no one knows if he will ever be right again to play at the level we all know he can play. O'Meara still has some big questions in regards to fitness as well.

Wingard is a big inclusion of course, but his best position is forward, so he probably won't be helping the midfield much.

I don't think anyone had Collingwood making the 8 after round 3 let alone the Granny. This is one player, yes he may be the best in the AFL but Collingwood had half their side out and found hidden gems. Expect Minchington, Mohr, Moore, Morrison and Howe to become house-hold names.

I don't think anyone had Collingwood making the 8 after round 3 let alone the Granny. This is one player, yes he may be the best in the AFL but Collingwood had half their side out and found hidden gems. Expect Minchington, Mohr, Moore, Morrison and Howe to become house-hold names.

Howe is 23 years old and played 50 games and yet I can't even picture what type of player he is. That might be my fault, but he hasn't left any sort of impression on me, or done anything that I have particularly noticed. As for Minchington I have never heard of him, I thought Mohr played for GWS, Moore for Richmond and Morrison, I think I have heard of him, but I am not sure.

Still in saying all that Hawthorn still have some very good players, it is just they are more thinly spread than they used to be.

Howe is 23 years old and played 50 games and yet I can't even picture what type of player he is. That might be my fault, but he hasn't left any sort of impression on me, or done anything that I have particularly noticed. As for Minchington I have never heard of him, I thought Mohr played for GWS, Moore for Richmond and Morrison, I think I have heard of him, but I am not sure.

Still in saying all that Hawthorn still have some very good players, it is just they are more thinly spread than they used to be.
That's my point, you have heard of them but they haven't become household names yet. People inside of Waverley know these guys have the talent to step up this season. This is Dylan Moore. Not the one that played for Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m tipping it.

Tom Mitchell gets a lions share of their clearances and then links up on the outside better than just about any player in the competition. No team relies on a player as much as Hawthorn does on him, with the possible exception of Freo and Fyfe and Carlton and Cripps - and Hawthorn’s depth is reasonably thin as it is.

Keeping in mind they’ve also got a less than favourable draw, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them slip significantly this year and then make up a big push up the ladder in 2020.

I am probably tooting my own horn here but this was something I made a few months ago that is probably relevant to the discussion

Hawthorn (10)
Burgoyne 36.2, Roughead 31.11, Puopolo 32.0, Birchall 30.11, Henderson 30.3, Frawley 30.3, Mohr 30.2, Smith 30.0, Stratton, 29.9, McEvoy 29.4
Worpel 19.11, Morrison 20.1, Nash 20.5, Cousins 20.8, Glass 21.3, Hardwick 21.10, Miles 22.1, Pittonet 22.6

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...acing-its-aging-players-2019-edition.1209405/

I am probably tooting my own horn here but this was something I made a few months ago that is probably relevant to the discussion

Hawthorn (10)
Burgoyne 36.2, Roughead 31.11, Puopolo 32.0, Birchall 30.11, Henderson 30.3, Frawley 30.3, Mohr 30.2, Smith 30.0, Stratton, 29.9, McEvoy 29.4
Worpel 19.11, Morrison 20.1, Nash 20.5, Cousins 20.8, Glass 21.3, Hardwick 21.10, Miles 22.1, Pittonet 22.6

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...acing-its-aging-players-2019-edition.1209405/
A typical too old, too slow? Burgoyne looks like he still has 3 years left, Smith, Poppy, Stratton and McEvoy are not slowing down. The list at the bottom are all promising. i don't see the point of this?

ALso I just checked the names you mentioned

Minchington - Played 28 games for St Kilda apparently. Never heard of him personally, and he is 25, so if he was good you think he would have showed it by now.

Mohr - The man is 30. How much better do you expect him to get? I don't know of many players who are better at 30 than they were at 25.

Moore - Played 0 games. You can't possibly argue he is going to be a household name. I mean he might, but there is no evidence of that yet.

Morrison - Probably looks to be the most likely to become a household name of the guys you mentioned as 22 games for a 20 year old is not bad.

Howe - 50 games and 23 years old. Like I said previously I know his name but I can't think of any time where he has shown he is going to be anything more than a contributor.

I rate the Hawks. A lot of respect from last year too when everyone wrote them off pre-season { except for me who said they could make top 4 and was laughed at :)https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/if-rioli-and-tom-mitchell-stay-healthy-in-2018.1186929/ }

I believe they're a solid, well rounded team and are very versatile.

In defence

Hardwick, Stratton, Frawley, Howe, Schoeney can play there also. Let's not forget Silk who can play anywhere { Burgoyne in case you've been living under a *en rock, which many of you undoubtedly have }

Midfield Consisting of Smith, Impey { who can play back or forward too } Shiels, Scully and O'Meara. Yes there are question marks over the ability to stay on the park for those two, but if they do they can be very dangerous or at least provide good grunt in the engine room. Wingard will spend more time in the mid than he was going to but it won't be an issue because Gunston, Breust, Poppy and Roughead never had a problem snagging goals. O'Brien could get more of a crack this season and bob up, and blokes like Worpel fit in the same category. Joker in the pack Sicily will pull his head in now and he's going to have to. He'll still be a smart ass and have his moments, but that's just who he is though.

Mirra and Henderson add more versatility in defence or in the latters case midfield and led by the tactician mastermind in Clarkson, they still stand a formidable opponent for anyone to muster.

They won't go quietly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back