MRP / Trib. Will Hayes suspended for 2 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

samDD

Debutant
Jun 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Why do people still defend this farce of an MRO?

There was no secondary action in the tackle, it was just bad luck Menegola's head hit the ground, yet the idiots in charge still gave Hayes two weeks.
Some people claim if your action causes a concussion, it's an automatic suspension, regardless of it being an accident or not. That didn't apply to Hawkins hit on May last year, so what gives?

If it was Hawkins or Selwood, they would get off 100%, but hey, it's easy for the AFL to make an example of a lesser player like Will Hayes.

Were you this upset when Dangerfeild was suspended for knocking out Kreuzer In a tackle?
That farce arguably cost him B2B Brownlow's... While Dusty punched 3 players that season to win it.

Oh hooooray another Richmond/Geelong love fest.

It was a suspension because he tackled someone and they were concussed. It has happened numerous times and a thread shouldn't be made about it every time, especially when it's sole purpose is really to talk about how apparently Geelong are favoured.

I don't get the surprise. Free kick for a dangerous tackle on the night, opponent on the bench in a tracksuit with a glazed expression about two minutes later.

I don't have anything against Will Hayes and best of luck to him if he wants to challenge it, but if the roles had been reversed, I would have taken it as read that the Geelong player would be facing a suspension.

Almost every bump/tackle suspension has an element of bad luck. That's why we remember incidents like Stewart on Prestia, because it's so far removed from what we're used to seeing and so inexcusable.

You're never sure how things are going to go, but for many years the outcome/impact has been the judge and jury at the MRO. And if you've committed an act that was deemed worthy of a free kick in real time and you've injured an opponent in the incident, then you're in a fair bit of trouble.

Didn’t think this one deserved any time off- reasonable tackle, just unlucky.
It should be a discussion about whether the tackle itself was dangerous or not. Sometimes players get hurt in perfectly legal clashes where both players are acting reasonably.

The same with the MacKay collision last year.

Joel Selwood kicking Clayton Oliver's hand is more deserving of a suspension than this tackle.

It should be a discussion about whether the tackle itself was dangerous or not. Sometimes players get hurt in perfectly legal clashes where both players are acting reasonably.

The same with the MacKay collision last year.

Joel Selwood kicking Clayton Oliver's hand is more deserving of a suspension than this tackle.
Yep- sometimes players just get hurt. It’s a contact game. Thought Hayes was unlucky. Can’t agree with you about Selwood though- maybe a fine for being careless but not suspension worthy, and nobody’s head got damaged in his carelessness. It did in Hayes. So they are always going to assess the ‘head’ stuff as more serious.

Were you this upset when Dangerfeild was suspended for knocking out Kreuzer In a tackle?
That farce arguably cost him B2B Brownlow's... While Dusty punched 3 players that season to win it.
Not even remotely comparable. Danger had both arms pinned and drove him into the ground. Kreuz had zero chance of protecting himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't protect people from accidents. They could play in those giant inflatable bubbles and people would still get hurt.

It was borderline and you could have challenged it you know.

I don't get the surprise. Free kick for a dangerous tackle on the night, opponent on the bench in a tracksuit with a glazed expression about two minutes later.

I don't have anything against Will Hayes and best of luck to him if he wants to challenge it, but if the roles had been reversed, I would have taken it as read that the Geelong player would be facing a suspension.

Unfortunately that's true. The way the tail wags the dog these days, Hayes was gone as soon as he got up wobbly.
I think the point is, should it be automatic just because of the outcome?

He turned him to stay out of his back, the way they're taught now.
Only one arm pinned, to avoid Menegola just dropping the ball for play on. Again, how they're taught now.
No second action, just momentum.
Menegola's body followed the path of the ball as he missed it, which turned him from his side towards his back on the way down.
Not sure what anyone could do about that during the tackle when they're both off the ground.

Tackled without the ball every day of the week.
No one's fault either way, so ridiculous to suspend anyone based on that.

It was borderline and you could have challenged it you know.
I don't think there's enough wriggle room in the gradings.
The club obviously would have discussed the probability of downgrading to a fine before accepting the penalty, and they obviously thought it wasn't possible.

I don't think there's enough wriggle room in the gradings.
The club obviously would have discussed the probability of downgrading to a fine before accepting the penalty, and they obviously thought it wasn't possible.

Would have thought it would be worth a gamble. I am far from a fan of grading outcomes rather than the act. I get it players have to be careful and you know what, but accidents do occur. Did this fall in that category, honestly I have no idea watched it 30 times and I still have no idea. I would have challenged and made the tribunal decide.

I was at the game and haven't really watched the tackle with audio, but was it a free for a dangerous tackle? I thought it was paid for holding the man, which it obviously was.

Would have thought it would be worth a gamble. I am far from a fan of grading outcomes rather than the act. I get it players have to be careful and you know what, but accidents do occur. Did this fall in that category, honestly I have no idea watched it 30 times and I still have no idea. I would have challenged and made the tribunal decide.
There's no appeal on the gradings possible. Menegola's head did hit the ground. So the contact is there. He was concussed and subbed out of the game so the impact isn't going to be downgraded. And the tackle was already set as careless.

The appeal had to be that the tackle wasn't dangerous and thus not a reportable action. The end result is the two week suspension or nothing.

Last edited:
There's no appeal on the gradings possible. Menegola's head did hit the ground. So the contact is there. He was concussed and subbed out of the game so the impact isn't going to be downgraded. And the tackle was already set as careless.

The appeal had to be that the tackle wasn't dangerous and thus not a reportable action. The end result is the two week suspension or nothing.

I would have appealed on the last point- the tackle wasn't a reportable offence.

If it was Hawkins or Selwood, they would get off 100%, but hey, it's easy for the AFL to make an example of a lesser player like Will Hayes.
Cry. Stewart just got suspended for a month a while back for a pretty standard bump I thought.

MOST MATCHES MISSED THROUGH SUSPENSION SINCE 2010

62 Geelong
57 Richmond
56 Hawthorn
53 West Coast
52 St Kilda
51 Essendon
50 Melbourne
46 Fremantle
43 North Melbourne
40 Brisbane, Port Adelaide
36 Carlton
35 Gold Coast
29 Greater Western Sydney
28 Collingwood
26 Western Bulldogs
22 Adelaide
18 Sydney

Thought 2 weeks was a bit much, 1 would not have been questioned.
Amazed Carlton didn't try get it reduced.
As far as Stewart's being a "pretty standard bump" he looked pretty distraught for someone who "just bumped" another player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back