Will Hodgman resigns as Tassie Premier

Remove this Banner Ad

Hannah Martin, one of his key advisors, has already (well before the announcement) taken a job with Federal Hotels.

In the meantime a vote of the 11 remaining members of the Liberal party room will choose the next Premier. Will be Jeremy Rockclliff if they have any sense, but could be any number of people if they do not.

Put me in the camp that thinks he's been crap. Made a total dog's breakfast of the public sector pay negotiations and wrecked our health system while doing very little. Still planning to hand out a set of very valuable pokies licenses for free due to being beholden to the THA and Federal Hotels.

Tasmania is a terrible, horrible place and all you mainlanders should stay where you are because you'll be better off no matter how unbreathable the air gets or how boiling the climate becomes.

Launceston seemed nice. If you were at a certain, contented stage of life aka 50+ and not poor.

Tasmania is a terrible, horrible place and all you mainlanders should stay where you are because you'll be better off no matter how unbreathable the air gets or how boiling the climate becomes.
F-thati plan on buying some land there as soon as i have a few bob spare.

Given the Libs hold 13 of 25 seats it could be an interesting time for Tassie.
I wouldn't say so. They don't hold by-elections for the Tasmanian assembly since they have multi-member constituencies, similar to the federal Senate. They use a countback method by distributing Hodgman's votes amongst unelected candidates according to preferences. And since he got a lot of votes, the next Liberal on the list is pretty much guaranteed to get enough votes to be elected. So the Libs will maintain their 13 seats. I don't think it'll be very interesting at all.

Put me in the camp that thinks he's been crap. Made a total dog's breakfast of the public sector pay negotiations and wrecked our health system while doing very little. Still planning to hand out a set of very valuable pokies licenses for free due to being beholden to the THA and Federal Hotels.

How? By not wasting taxpayers money on absurd pay rises like the buffoon in Victoria did?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How? By not wasting taxpayers money on absurd pay rises like the buffoon in Victoria did?

No one was asking for absurd pay rises. They mostly wanted respect and were not getting any. Government ended up quietly caving anyway and gave rises in the order of 2.5% despite their supposed 2% wage cap. Could have simply done that before all the s**t-fighting and saved a lot of people a lot of stress and frustration.

Anyway, the vote to chose the next Premier will be on Monday and it will be either Ferguson or Gutwein. Ferg is a right-wing nutbag who presided over a disastrous crumbling of Tasmania's health system. Gutwein is supposedly a moderate who has been treasurer. 14 people will vote (11 lower house MPs plus 3 LegCo, Will has said he wont vote) and by most estimates the numbers are roughly 7-7. The Libs are rushing to do this before Will's replacement in Parliament is chosen by recount which strikes me as pretty dumb given the numbers. No reason Rockcliff can't just be acting Premier for a few weeks.

What is a proper bogan? When I was a kid it was flannos, dirtbikes and bad dental care. These days it seems to be more about racism, steroids and expensive utes.
I think suburban living is prerequisite as well.

I heard the gambling companies said to him "save gambling and you can retire rich and never work another day in your life".

And so he did

I wouldn't say so. They don't hold by-elections for the Tasmanian assembly since they have multi-member constituencies, similar to the federal Senate. They use a countback method by distributing Hodgman's votes amongst unelected candidates according to preferences. And since he got a lot of votes, the next Liberal on the list is pretty much guaranteed to get enough votes to be elected. So the Libs will maintain their 13 seats. I don't think it'll be very interesting at all.
If the Libs hadn't crunched the numbers to double check, he wouldn't be resigning from parliament.
With "optional preferences" its now even more likely than it used to be that the recount will elect another Liberal. Minor party and indeopendent votes can become exhausted before reaching either major, Libs likely voted Libs next in preferences.

If the Libs hadn't crunched the numbers to double check, he wouldn't be resigning from parliament.
With "optional preferences" its now even more likely than it used to be that the recount will elect another Liberal. Minor party and indeopendent votes can become exhausted before reaching either major, Libs likely voted Libs next in preferences.
I blame the people for choosing not to preference minor parties.

Tasmania's health system is genuine dogshit. You'd better not have a medical emergency.
True enough.
Royal Hobart had to have so much spent on it just to stop it falling down, and then buckled under the extra weight which was mould ridden anyway; that the Launceston General is no longer a functional hospital and can't retain staff.
Utter shambles. And that's without taking into account what happened when Healthscope got their mits on the Mersey hospital and asset stripped it. And most the smaller "district" hospitals are now nothing more than glorified adult day care or have been closed down. At least the new St Helens one doesn't flood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back