Prediction Will Hoskin- Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

That's Clokes fault for being s**t. Up to him to turn his form around and he hasn't done that for years now.

That's your opinion.......obviously the Club agrees with you.

All the more power to both of you.

Has already signed with Collingwood. Source Andy Maher. "I keep hearing a the deal is done."
Thoughts on him coming? Any good?

Andy Maher said it/

Well I take that with a Grain of Salt

Just caught up on this. I don't usually have much to say about inside knowledge as unfortunately I don't come across it all that much.

However, I hired an apprentice back in 2010 and she was a mad pies fan, anyway fast forward a bit and not long before the 2011 draft she came into work all excited and said that her cousin was going to be playing for Collingwood, when I asked who she said Will Hoskin Elliott.

Now I was up to date on most of the draftees and knew with the all the GWS picks it wouldn't eventuate, she didn't really say much about how it was supposed to go down just that we had shown a lot of interest and he'd mentioned to her he was probably going to Collingwood.

Post draft she still maintained it wasn't a case of if but when he came back to Victoria to play for Collingwood, she left to take up a position interstate the next year and haven't heard from her since and had forgotten all about it, until now.

I wonder whether we had tried to work out a deal at the time and it fell through, but certainly there was a lot of interest from our end.

Last 5 years player history:

r33vhPt.png

vQkF6ZY.png

3VeFLrS.png

Source: AFLplayerratings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the very little I have seen of him despite being lightly built he doesn't lack courage. Can someone who has seen more of him comment.

FWIW here is a pretty well reasoned post from the GWS board

I'm probably of a slightly different view than some of my compatriots here. I'd open by observing that GWS tends to bargain very hard if they rate the player highly and want to keep them (look at Treloar, Boyd & McCarthy), but if there's a mutual respect and they concede a player wanting to get home and/or don't necessarily rate them as a future best 22 (or at least replaceable) then they're often willing to take a lesser trade. I'll acknowledge it depends on several factors, but I'd point to the Tyson, Adams, Plowman trades as evidence of the latter category.

So, personally I think it depends on which category WHE falls into for GWS management. Most GWS fans have seen WHE's potential and rate it immensely; his third year (2014) gave a glimpse of the skills and output that we'd expect to grow - unfortunately his last two years have suffered from a few injuries that have seen him in and out of first grade and unable to show a consistent high level of output. I also think that WHE has a bit of X-factor that others in the team don't necessarily have, so if GWS want to hold onto him then they'll ask for a first round pick (or equivalent points). I just don't believe that too many clubs will pay that high a price, particularly given that he's had those several injuries the last two years. So, if GWS see him in the second category (e.g. WHE actually wants to leave & GWS happy to trade him out for salary cap and list age reasons), I wouldn't be surprised if they did let him go for a second round pick (or equivalent points). .

Last edited:
He will make our team better but we need to keep him on the park for extended periods, this is the reverse of Ben Reid, some people had written him off, no trade value, his job was done blah, blah, blah, we got him right and we count our blessings.

It also depends on what we give up, if it's Witts then for team balance it makes sense but I have a feeling Witts will mature and be an A-grade ruckman.

I think the risk of bringing in WHE is outweighed on the upside than to the down side. Do it.

You know I was thinking about this exact thing the other day. Then I thought too simple and everyone would be doing it, but looking at the rules we still meet the ones as they relate to first round picks being used over a certain period.

With Hurley gone not sure we need it other than having an earlier pick in the draft. I guess we may need something like that for Sam Reid depending on the number of the draft pick.

Its one I've actually had rolling around in my head the past few days. There's literally nothing stopping us from trading say Cloke and our 2017 1st rounder for the Bulldogs 2016 1st rounder. Then the year following if we still suck trade our 2018 1st rounder and a player for a 2017 1st rounder.

That way you cushion the blow until we're top 4 again and the impact of no 1st rounder is limited. I think the AFL would see what we're doing pretty quickly, but for now it would be a play I'd have on the table until they close the loophole and say those 2 first round picks over 4 years need to be your own.

Its one I've actually had rolling around in my head the past few days. There's literally nothing stopping us from trading say Cloke and our 2017 1st rounder for the Bulldogs 2016 1st rounder. Then the year following if we still suck trade our 2018 1st rounder and a player for a 2017 1st rounder.

That way you cushion the blow until we're top 4 again and the impact of no 1st rounder is limited. I think the AFL would see what we're doing pretty quickly, but for now it would be a play I'd have on the table until they close the loophole and say those 2 first round picks over 4 years need to be your own.
Clever.....Collingwood are to dumb fot that

Good, Trading Cloke AND a first round for a first round this year is stupid.

Perhaps re-read my post then before labelling the idea "stupid". We would make the same move again next year and have get that first round pick back.

I'd rather we don't trade Cloke, but the writings on the wall so let's get creative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back