Prediction Will Hoskin- Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Has already signed with Collingwood. Source Andy Maher. "I keep hearing a the deal is done."
Thoughts on him coming? Any good?
Played a good game early this season.

Has already signed with Collingwood. Source Andy Maher. "I keep hearing a the deal is done."
Thoughts on him coming? Any good?
Also we can have Billy Elliott and Willy Elliott...
Willy and Cox.

Its one I've actually had rolling around in my head the past few days. There's literally nothing stopping us from trading say Cloke and our 2017 1st rounder ....

Isn't there some rule that a club can't trade out its future first round pick two years in a row?

Isn't there some rule that a club can't trade out its future first round pick two years in a row?

Nah the rule is that you must take a first round pick at least twice over a four year period. They'll tighten it up moving forward, but there's still a loophole that could be exploited to prevent us trading two top 10 picks for Treloar.

Nah the rule is that you must take a first round pick at least twice over a four year period. They'll tighten it up moving forward, but there's still a loophole that could be exploited to prevent us trading two top 10 picks for Treloar.
It's not something that needs to be tightened up. The idea of continually trying to get a first by swapping your future would just continually railroad you into hitting the draft and never give you the freedom of using it in a trade.

It's not something that needs to be tightened up. The idea of continually trying to get a first by swapping your future would just continually railroad you into hitting the draft and never give you the freedom of using it in a trade.

I agree it isn't I'm just stating what I believe the league will do. Go back a few pages and I said it would cease once we're back in top 4 contention. For instance a change within the football department may see us doing it twice max.

So given we didn't use a first round pick in 2015, and won't in 2016 - doesn't that mean we have to take our first round picks in 2017 and 2018?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So given we didn't use a first round pick in 2015, and won't in 2016 - doesn't that mean we have to take our first round picks in 2017 and 2018?

That's the way I see it. Happy to be corrected though.

That said, if we have one of our better players poached for an opposition club's first round draft pick, I think that counts as one of the "2 in 4 year" picks.

That said, let's say the ladder next year is the exact same as this year (God help us)... We should in theory be able to trade our pick 7ish for a good Hawks player and their pick 18. Because then we'd be still technically using a first round pick.

That's about the only loophole I can think of?

Still a lot of water to go under the bridge before you can definitively say that. There's every chance that we'll be able to wrangle our way back in to the first round, even if it's not top 10.

That said, let's say the ladder next year is the exact same as this year (God help us)... We should in theory be able to trade our pick 7ish for a good Hawks player and their pick 18. Because then we'd be still technically using a first round pick.

That's about the only loophole I can think of?
If you had a higher pick you could trade it for 2 late first rounders. That would still count under the guidelines that have been set. We can still trade next years draft pick because we used 2 first round draft picks for JDG and Moore, but then we would need to get an extra first rounder next year. Even if we don't do that the only penalty the AFL will enforce if you don't use 2 first rounders in 4 years, is that they wont allow that club to trade another first round pick for a couple of years.

Hurley was apparently already signed up at the Doggies, there's definitely no chance im believing WHE has signed with us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back