Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Another strong showing i think against the Cats, although he faded a bit in the second half (along with the rest of the team).

Overall, his season has been a positive for me. The question is, can he get even better next year?

Think he'll only continue to improve. First year into a new system is always tough.

Great 1st year. Would have to be one of the cleanest players in the AFL. Has a seriously unique skillset.
Can't wait to see what he can do with another full pre season under his belt.
Agree.
Really good summation.

Just has clean skills.

And this year is the hurst I've seen of him getting quite a bit of the ball.
Injury free I'd suspect is the reason.

Looking forward to him getting another strong preseason done.

Amazing what happens when they get that going. Eg Goldsack this year

Silk.

Really looking forward to a full preseason from him.

Averaging 19 touches and just under a goal a game such far exceeds any previous season, expecting 20% improvement.

Was a steal.
Absolutely. Some have carried on early in the year and unbelievably not too long ago that we overpaid for him. Total rubbish, the guy is star and he's ours

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic effort to play every game. The 'silk' description is apt. Those beautiful one touches.

Challenge for WHE next season is to impact more. He finishes well, can be relied on to goal, and his marks stick. But he seems to glide through games. Hopefully he will be a more forceful presence with another full season in 2018.

Talent was never in doubt, the main concerns I had were durability and consistency. Looks to have made massive strides in both areas. If you'd told me at trade time last year that he'd play every single game for us in 2017 after the horror year he'd had I would have thought you were nuts.

Silk.

Really looking forward to a full preseason from him.

Averaging 19 touches and just under a goal a game such far exceeds any previous season, expecting 20% improvement.

Was a steal.

This.

Absolutely rapt to get a full 22 games out of him this season.

Really expected this to be a "consolidation" year for him, to get his body right, and play maybe 10-12 games at AFL level. For him to play the full season and play well is a real bonus.

Fantastic effort to play every game. The 'silk' description is apt. Those beautiful one touches.

Challenge for WHE next season is to impact more. He finishes well, can be relied on to goal, and his marks stick. But he seems to glide through games. Hopefully he will be a more forceful presence with another full season in 2018.
I am taking from your "glide through games and hopefully be a more forceful presence" that you saw what I saw, or rather didn't see. Most games I didn't notice him much tbh. He was there but not really impacting much. Then I would look at the stats and be surprised he'd had so much of it. He's efficient with the ball too.

I read that as him being a player who was concentrating on his role and doing the simple things well. (As opposed to me being shite at observing the game:straining:).
Terrific first year. Needs to be a bit more"forceful" though as you say VP.

I am taking from your "glide through games and hopefully be a more forceful presence" that you saw what I saw, or rather didn't see. Most games I didn't notice him much tbh. He was there but not really impacting much. Then I would look at the stats and be surprised he'd had so much of it. He's efficient with the ball too.

I read that as him being a player who was concentrating on his role and doing the simple things well. (As opposed to me being shite at observing the game:straining:).
Terrific first year. Needs to be a bit more"forceful" though as you say VP.

I feel at times he may have been protecting himself a bit, being a bit safe with decision-making and physically.

We have to remember, he's still really learning what he can do at AFL level, and this is the first season he's got an uninterrupted run, and looked like he belongs.

Hopefully having gotten through a full season will give him the confidence in both his skills and his body to really unleash in 2018.

cakewalk_1 what's your opinion?
Hi,
I'm sure you've seen posts from me having a go at WHE.
I think he is improving, he is in our best 22. Just MHO He needs to harden up, he needs to learn how to stick a tackle and hold his marks. The last goal he kicked was fortunate. He should've marked that ball in the Goal square. Nevertheless he recovered his own dropped mark and nailed a critical goal.
I think having another preseason might take him to another level. I like him and I've probably been a harsh on him at times.

Last edited:
Struggling to think of many apart from Pendles from our lists of the last 20 years with as much silk as this guy. Reckon he will be one of our most important players in a couple of years.

There is a difference between being soft and being physically not as strong as others. WHE goes when it's his turn, just sometimes fails to impact the contest as much as we would like. Pace, disposal, game smarts and sticky fingers far outweigh the negatives.

Could say we got him for Free Now.

AS IF we kept the 2nd Round Pick we traded for Him we would of Drafted Nathan Murphy who we got at Pick 39 Anyway.
Yes we would have, but who would we have gone for at 39 then is another question

Remove this Banner Ad

Back