Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on Will do one of those stick your mit up in the air and effortlessly take a mark with your paw.

(Imagine Cox could do that.)

Gone from a skillful, hard running half forward to a stagnant pea-hearted squib. Legitimately offers nothing to the side. Sums up our forward line issues perfectly.

Playing in a role that doesnt suit him.
He is a leading, jumping forward.

However like the rest of our dangerous mid sized forwards----no space to operate within means he has to fly into packs all the time inside 50 as if he is JBrown to split them or has to go kick chasing on a wing with no impact.

Blame Nathan again.

Thought he had his best game for the season. Hopefully he can continue to build on that.

I thought he looked good on a wing for moments vs GWS.

What’s his best position do we feel?

Half back. Can take a mark and elite kick. He played well there at times last year.
Agreed. Give him a man. WHE is hard to beat one on one. Forces him to engage in and impact situations (and play harder). He's fast and a great leap. I think it's a no-brainer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately wouldn’t get much for him. Worth more to us than another club, which is saying something.

At the Moment but don't trade players who actually have Descent Kicking Skills

Agreed. Give him a man. WHE is hard to beat one on one. Forces him to engage in and impact situations (and play harder). He's fast and a great leap. I think it's a no-brainer.

Playing a guy in a role and hoping he’ll improve an aspect of his game because the role will force it upon him is asking for trouble. Needs to play high HF with rotations closer to goal.

Playing a guy in a role and hoping he’ll improve an aspect of his game because the role will force it upon him is asking for trouble. Needs to play high HF with rotations closer to goal.
Worked for Howe.

Howe was successful playing defense before he came to the Pies.
Nowhere did I say that it was achieved at Collingwood. Still worked though didn't it? Your argument is bizarre. The history of AFL/VFL football is littered with cases of players who were underperforming in their designated positions, were switched up and went on to have rejuvinated careers. Leon Davis is another one who immediately comes to mind. Crazy stuff.

Nowhere did I say that it was achieved at Collingwood. Still worked though didn't it? Your argument is bizarre. The history of AFL/VFL football is littered with cases of players who were underperforming in their designated positions, were switched up and went on to have rejuvinated careers. Leon Davis is another one who immediately comes to mind. Crazy stuff.

You're ignoring the players traits. Howe and WHE vastly different players. Presti, McCormack, Reid, Davis... history is littered with players who make the transition. Equally, there are players who don't/can't because it's just not in their DNA.

You're ignoring the players traits. Howe and WHE vastly different players. Presti, McCormack, Reid, Davis... history is littered with players who make the transition. Equally, there are players who don't/can't because it's just not in their DNA.
So what you are saying is it not worth trying because you have some greater insight into WHE's genetics. Ok. Have a nice day.

So what you are saying is it not worth trying because you have some greater insight into WHE's genetics. Ok. Have a nice day.

No, what I'm saying is that Howe was always very good 1v1, he quite likes the physical wrestling, he's smart and knows his physical limitations, knows when he needs to play off an opponent to beat them in those marking contests. WHE is shocking 1v1, a very outside player. He always looks to play off an opponent, even when they're smaller, and then still often gets beaten.They're not traits you want in a defender.

Last edited:
WHE is shocking 1v1, a very outside player. He always looks to play off an opponent, even when they're smaller, and then still often gets beaten.They're not traits you want in a defender.
Congratulations. You've just described Leon Davis' stint in the Collingwood forward line to a tee. And as you are no doubt aware, he went on to become an outstanding sweeper in the backline. Isn't genetics fascinating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back