Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations. You've just described Leon Davis' stint in the Collingwood forward line to a tee. And as you are no doubt aware, he went on to become an outstanding sweeper in the backline. Isn't genetics fascinating?

Leon Davis was always very good 1v1 and you're just making s**t up now to try and justify yourself so I'll leave it there.

The bloke is a forward. I will forever be confused as to why coaches love moving players out of their natural roles. De Goey, Elliot and Hoskin-Elliot are being moved around the field, while as a side we can’t kick a winning score.

Yeah moving De Goey into the mids to impact around the contest at times makes sense, but leave the Elliots to do what they do best which is kick goals. WHE on a wing offers very little especially when we have someone who excels on the wing like Phillips being stuck at half forward.

WHE hasn't hit the heights of 2018 (or come anywhere near them) but the hate for him is a little unfair. He was very well suited to our style of play i.e. the swoop squad.

Since 2018 neither Stevo, Thomas, or even JDG have managed to look as dangerous but we don't question their ability the way we do with WHE.

The change to our style of play, a shift further up the field, and injury have done him no favours.

Really should have kicked that last goal after the specky but game still gets a pass, much like last week.

He'll never be a high disposal getter but he's gotta make his moments count. His last two weeks have been maybe one moment from being great games. He's almost there.

I've been on his case, but if we continue to transition more aggressively like we have the last two matches, he's very valuable. He's very good if it comes in quickly with a bit of space, but very ordinary if it comes in slow to congestion.

Hoss is a perfect example of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole when we play him out of position.

Play him forward, give him space, and move the ball in quickly; he can be a gun.

Hoss is a perfect example of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole when we play him out of position.

Play him forward, give him space, and move the ball in quickly; he can be a gun.
Same goes for all our forwards really.

We're all of a sudden looking really well drilled in terms of getting run from defence. Someone is running past for the handball every single time. I'm hoping we don't add a third tall defender: Crisp, Maynard, Quaynor, Varcoe and Noble are going to give us some serious drive out of defence.

Did he run out of time on his set shot or did he just panic? Usually a reliable set shot.

Also the umpire moved him a good metre closer to the boundary line.

People forget he hurt his knee towards the end of 2018, was it vs Melbourne?
Has taken him lots of time to look fit again, being able to jump etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's always nearly taking that speccy or nearly kicking that impossible and much needed goal, but always somehow just doesn't hold it or just misses. Still, he did hold one tonight and it was the best game he's played for some time.

He's always nearly taking that speccy or nearly kicking that impossible and much needed goal, but always somehow just doesn't hold it or just misses.
Pretty good goal in the conditions from Checkers brilliant kick to him.

The hyphen is creeping back to form. He looks good out there, he looks happy, he's even getting more involved. o_O

Surely nailing his marks and shots on goals is next?

Needs to Step up with De-Goey out

I been Sticking up for WHE last few games because I know how good he can be when he is on.

But this Afternoon he had an Absolutle Shocker. Good Chance gets Dropped for it

Rather see the Brown bros play each week than Hoskin if hes going to put in such insipid performances.

Thomas having a blinder puts the heat on Hosk

Rather see the Brown bros play each week than Hoskin if hes going to put in such insipid performances.

Thomas having a blinder puts the heat on Hosk
Couldn't possibly have Callum in front of him, but I agree with your sentiment - all of Mayne, Phillips & Hoskin-Elliott in the one side is hugely problematic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back