Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe it was wrong to rush him straight back in. If he comes out, I'd like to see Daicos get an opportunity.

Tippy78

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Living dangerously I reckon. We’ve got a few guys who need to hit the scoreboard or their 10-15 possessions look pretty poor. Thomas, Stephenson, Elliott, Brown all play a similar role. Unfortunately Hoskin-Elliott isn’t hitting the scoreboard so I think he’s the bottom of that pile at the moment (except for Elliott who is obviously injured)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think people are overstating how poor WHE has been playing. Certainly hasn't taken a game by the scruff of the neck but he's probably around his average 2018 game at the moment.

I think people are overstating how poor WHE has been playing. Certainly hasn't taken a game by the scruff of the neck but he's probably around his average 2018 game at the moment.

I disagree there Jack. IMO his lack of match conditioning is what is holding him back and his frustration is obvious. He got angry in the last quarter against the Swans and it showed, last year he was unflappable.

He'll come good in due course but it's not happening as quickly as he/we would like.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I disagree there Jack. IMO his lack of match conditioning is what is holding him back and his frustration is obvious. He got angry in the last quarter against the Swans and it showed, last year he was unflappable.

He'll come good in due course but it's not happening as quickly as he/we would like.

Just checked his stats and he had 15 possessions which is above average for him. He wasn't as clean with the footy as you'd normally expect (there were quite a few who suffered the same malaise) and didn't impact the scoreboard like he normally does, but I don't think he's far off it.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
WHE’s form in 2019 was as predictable as the sun rising in the east! No pre-season = no quality from WHE.

Really hoping that this block of games is essentially his preseason although it's more about maintaining fitness during a season than actually gaining any.

That said, I expect him to come out fresh after the bye and really excel in the second half of the year.

WHE’s form in 2019 was as predictable as the sun rising in the east! No pre-season = no quality from WHE.

Really hoping that this block of games is essentially his preseason although it's more about maintaining fitness during a season than actually gaining any.

That said, I expect him to come out fresh after the bye and really excel in the second half of the year.

^ That sums it up the situation in my view.

A large part of the hyphen's game in 2018 was that gazelle like pace over an entire game (repeat efforts). This is what allowed him to showcase his sticky hands on a lead and to create space between himself and any opponents.

It's a struggle for him ATM but this tide will turn. The road back to full match conditioning is always a grind, and unfortunately for WHE this process is happening for him during the season proper in front of 70K at the G. :)

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

^ That sums it up the situation in my view.

A large part of the hyphen's game in 2018 was that gazelle like pace over an entire game (repeat efforts). This is what allowed him to showcase his sticky hands on a lead and to create space between himself and any opponents.

It's a struggle for him ATM but this tide will turn. The road back to full match conditioning is always a grind, and unfortunately for WHE this process is happening for him during the season proper in front of 70K at the G. :)

Jeez you guys are optimistic! Tracking his 8 year career to date and it’s plain as the nose on your face that he struggles off limited preparations. I’m obviously hopeful the wheel turns for him, but based on prior evidence he won’t come good in 2019.

Just checked his stats and he had 15 possessions which is above average for him. He wasn't as clean with the footy as you'd normally expect (there were quite a few who suffered the same malaise) and didn't impact the scoreboard like he normally does, but I don't think he's far off it.

He's playing much higher than he did when he was in good form last year. Stepho and JDG have consigned him to a high half forward/wing as opposed to the deep forward role where he is more dangerous. With JDG out, I was surprised that he didn't spend a lot more time really deep. I suppose that they are trying to get him used to the role that he'll play for the majority of the year. He's got the skill set to be a really good hit up target for us, on the wings, but for some reason he doesn't seem to really do this as often or as effectively as we'd like.

Jeez you guys are optimistic! Tracking his 8 year career to date and it’s plain as the nose on your face that he struggles off limited preparations. I’m obviously hopeful the wheel turns for him, but based on prior evidence he won’t come good in 2019.

Since he became a regular senior player, he's barely missed a game, so I'm not sure if we can assume he stuggles with limited preperations. At GWS he played about 4 good games in his time at the club. We recruited a talented yet very inconsistent footballer. He wasn't a regular senior player who we could see if his good form was about preperation. There's a chance you're right, but it could just as easily be that at GWS he was still a developing kid who hadn't got his game together yet.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
It's dicey but his role is pretty feast or famine much like all our smaller forwards. He's still going ok (not that great though) at providing a long leading target from our transition out of defence. He's certainly above Thomas in the pecking order for mine. He gets a bit of a pass for mine because he doesn't need much involvement to have a good patch of football and he's one of our more unique types, a mix between the smalls and the medium targets. Especially with De Goey and Elliot out we need him in the team but if Elliot's in his spot is not safe by a long shot. Having said that neither is Elliot's if WHE is the one in form.

It's dicey but his role is pretty feast or famine much like all our smaller forwards. He's still going ok (not that great though) at providing a long leading target from our transition out of defence. He's certainly above Thomas in the pecking order for mine. He gets a bit of a pass for mine because he doesn't need much involvement to have a good patch of football and he's one of our more unique types, a mix between the smalls and the medium targets. Especially with De Goey and Elliot out we need him in the team but if Elliot's in his spot is not safe by a long shot. Having said that neither is Elliot's if WHE is the one in form.

To me his spot's in big danger from Reid. When Cox returns, if we go with the extra tall, WHE the most likely to miss out.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
To me his spot's in big danger from Reid. When Cox returns, if we go with the extra tall, WHE the most likely to miss out.
I hope that’s what we do tbh.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Since he became a regular senior player, he's barely missed a game, so I'm not sure if we can assume he stuggles with limited preperations. At GWS he played about 4 good games in his time at the club. We recruited a talented yet very inconsistent footballer. He wasn't a regular senior player who we could see if his good form was about preperation. There's a chance you're right, but it could just as easily be that at GWS he was still a developing kid who hadn't got his game together yet.

He’s always been a regular with us because he’s always been able to get the load in and he was most definitely a first choice player at GWS. His fall from grace there was due to injury. It worked to our advantage and it isn’t role related as you’ve been at pains to highlight.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
He's coming off no pre-season, which means 2019 is going to be a battle for Will.

Whether or not he holds his spot is a different question all together. Form is currently dicey as they come.

He’ll 100% keep his spot in the seniors until he breaks down. Like most supporters the club will back him in to explode until he physically can’t stay on the park. I’ll back them in on that because he’s providing us as much as any replacement would...

surfer1

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2006
coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
parramatta
He has the x factor, be it a speckie mark or goal from sideline. I for one am prepared to give him weeks to get back to last years form.

He’s always been a regular with us because he’s always been able to get the load in and he was most definitely a first choice player at GWS. His fall from grace there was due to injury. It worked to our advantage and it isn’t role related as you’ve been at pains to highlight.

I've just never seen him play consistently well as a half forward. In theory, his skill set should make him a fabulous hit up forward who turns his man on the way back in - I've seen him do a bit of the latter, but not much of the hit up stuff or any other way of being effective in the role outside of winning the foot race back inside 50. He just doesn't seem to get very involved in the role. To me, he's really dangerous when playing deep, but seems to go missing when playing higher up the ground.

No doubt that recovering from injury doesn't help, I just don't think you can go back to his form of 2015/2016 when he was a highly talented kid without many runs on the board and then assert he has and will always struggle to return from an interruption. His struggles could just as easily have been due to the natural lack of confidence of a kid without enough runs on the board, rather than about him needing extra loading to perform.

I don't think playing 3 talls is on the cards at all, bucks was asked about it thats how it all came about
We don't need another tall inside 50, but I'd be tempted to play another tall to make sure we've more often got a decent target for down the line kicks in transition. It's an area where it feels to me like we are losing too many contests. I'd be interested if they keep stats on such things - aerial contests on the wing.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He always has that ability to do that special something.

But it’s absolute, he goes far better with a proper full pre season.
This season he has to catch up and that’s not his preferred preparation.

Back