Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t mind playing him in defence until Howe comes back. Looks better playing back than forward on current form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shows how much he needs a preseason
He’s an actual poster boy for the importance of a solid full preseason.
That works for him.
Playing catch up hinders him.

That said, he’s pure skill level is always present so he remains very dangerous.

He’s an actual poster boy for the importance of a solid full preseason.
That works for him.
Playing catch up hinders him.

That said, he’s pure skill level is always present so he remains very dangerous.

Yep spot on as soon as I knew he missed the preseason I was always worried he would struggle.

I do like him going to Half Back should get him more involved.

I love WHE for reasons I cant explain. He's not close to our best or most dangerous player, yet he is my current favourite. Even to the extent that I recently queued up at the merch counter at the MCG to buy a badge with his picture on it. That would be the first player's badge I have purchased in about 45 years. What is wrong with me? Mercifully the merch shop had sold out of all their WHE badges (to others like me) and I was spared the embarassment of actually wearing it.

I love WHE for reasons I cant explain. He's not close to our best or most dangerous player, yet he is my current favourite. Even to the extent that I recently queued up at the merch counter at the MCG to buy a badge with his picture on it. That would be the first player's badge I have purchased in about 45 years. What is wrong with me? Mercifully the merch shop had sold out of all their WHE badges (to others like me) and I was spared the embarassment of actually wearing it.
You won't be a real fan until WHE takes out an intervention order.

Ahhh the player badges.
I think Gavin Brown was the last such badge I purchased.

I think he got pushed back in the pecking order with De Goey, Stephenson and Elliott playing a similar role. He isn't a crumbing type, but similar to the other guys he is more of a lead-up or marking type player.

So I'm glad we tried him in a different role. I had my heart in my mouth a few times because he lacks any body strength to compete defensively. But I think he could be handy as a defensive type wingman who floats...but also uses his pace offensively.

What's embarrassing about that? I proudly wear my WHE badge on my scarf. He keeps The Bear, Lynden Dunn and Varcoe company.

WHE's effort was extremely impressive considering he hadn't been part of the back group perhaps since his first year with us and even then it was for a very short time. I think he showed some real nervousness there but he kept plugging away.

I'm not too doom and gloom about him as a forward. I think he's been showing signs for a while, even had a very good game against Melbourne, solid against Fremantle and Bulldogs. I think he is key to us as a linkman forward and want to see him go back there next week. Even when he's not getting near it he i sstill trying to present. He just needs to get the mix right in terms of presenting as a long leading option and hunting for the ball in the chain as well, it's a hard mix to get right, you're asking him to play like a tall marking forward but also be available for the ball movement chain if it hits the deck.

Wilbur is in the minority group on the list who is an exceptional athlete. Wilbur has the ability to close down space or run away from an apponent. Combine that with his marking and elite skills, he's the complete package. That's why the wing or HF line is his best position.
I see him as the barometer of the club, if he's playing well generally CFC is doing okay. Personally, I think he's had a solid year.

Pace, marking ability are elite and it was a mighty performance to go back and hold his own last week. He brings a lot to our side and is a difficult match up for most clubs. Needs to narrow the gap between his best and worst a little but his best is great to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back