Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Top 8? did we have 8 players that were worthy? So noble in his role for the night until they moved him back was abysmal, may have got the stats but he got caught, turned it over and shirked a couple of contests. This is not top 8 worthy.

Madgen similarly, dropped some marks, fumbled the ball, turned it over sold team mates into dangerous positions and also didn’t go hard enough at times. Not top 8 worthy.

the point I was trying to make is that WHE didn’t have an impactful game, but not entirely his fault given his role in the team. He’s a purely outside type the plays best when the ball is fed to him. The team failed to do that. Due to salary cap constraints Not everyone can be a Darcy Moore. So if we are going to have one soft player in the side I’d choose WHE at this present moment, just purely because he can bring speed and skill that we just don’t have.

I’d be open to trialling some debutants in his role, if they are worthy.

Well done for being at the game and for seeing thousands of games live.

That's a beautiful write up, but he doesn't get the ball, can find his own ball and usually fumbles when he does. He was absolutely woeful

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Has he been tried as an intercepting halfback at all? Well even that’s off the table now because he can’t even hold a mark.
And I can’t IMadgen another player that puts my heart in mouth more than Jack does now.
Backline would be almost bare arsed naked without Darcy back there but I’d still shift him forward and try and assemble an a grade forward line for a change.
Whilst at it I’d also sack our midfield coach and poach someone to utilizewhat talent we have there because we get smashed in the middle and through the midfield going forward all the time.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Agree. Why let him die on the half forward flank, where he's clearly been dying for 18 months. The game has moved away from forwards like WHE. Give him a run in defence.
Was the game ever suited to forwards his type? I can’t remember too many rangey forwards starring consistently through my lifetime.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He wasn’t our worst last night. He is a purely uncontested player, with pace and skills that are severely lacking. He’s not going to be the one to win the ball, but he is the one you want delivering into 50 ( his Clanger from last night aside) or kicking at goal.

my big criticism was that last season we carried too many soft uncontested types...last night showed another couple who I think should be dropped for their performances (noble and madgen)....I think if we are going to carry one, it should be WHE because he brings a skill set that we sorely need. If the mids are doing their job and winning the ball and laying the tackles it makes sense to have WHE in the side.

Very harsh on Noble and Madge. Thought they both had solid games.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Time to see Wilson/Murphy getting a game over WHE.
I think you’ve got the order of players that should be dropped from the 23.

Josh Thomas should give way for Murphy or anybody else.

Ruscoe and Cal Brown should play exclusively in the twos for the rest of the year.

Noble should only play out of the backline, he was lost in the midfield on Friday. If they want him as a midfielder he needs to work on those skills in the reserves. Sidebottom in for him. It’s hard for Noble to displace IQ, Maynard, Howe and Crisp.

Madgen should give way for Wilson or Keane if we are playing a tall forward line. Madgen is soft and slow is what I learnt against the dogs.

Was the game ever suited to forwards his type? I can’t remember too many rangey forwards starring consistently through my lifetime.
I think you've got me there. There was a brief period where skills got good enough and before defensive structures changed that guys like Taz, Riewoldt (obviously more strings to his bow) took a million uncontested marks hitting up to the wing. Even as recently as Adelaides Tom Lynch hit up forwards were very effective.

om8cvAcf_400x400.jpg

That does more the WHE

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Seriously posters from bigfooty would contribute more on the pitch than this bloke
I'd back myself.

It's not like it's a new thing. He's been a passenger since 2018. To be honest I have no faith that our selectors will even drop him for next week.

Needs to be moved on at the end of the year.

lenny20

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
A family member delivered his first child in late 2018... and I swear to God he hasn’t been the same player ever since that moment.

Maybe he has more important things in his life than footy now?

I distinctly recall hearing about him becoming a father, and seeing his performance fall away starkly after that point. He’s really fallen off a cliff, poor Will. Might not be on an AFL list next year.

Back