Player Watch Will Kelly (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it my imagination or does his face look a bit like Sam McClarty?

Good to see Will finally get on the park, not expecting to much from him for a while, but interesting to see how he goes and where his position is.
Hopefully back and not forward.

A good young KPF would be quite handy...
Except he’s not a good young KPF. Last year was proof that he’s far better utilised in defence. Great defender, below average forward from all reports during 2018.

Hasn't even played a VFL game yet, who knows what he'll end up being better at.
What makes you think he could become a good forward in a higher level competition when he was below average at it as a junior?

What makes you think he could become a good forward in a higher level competition when he was below average at it as a junior?

I don't think Darcy Moore was that brilliant as a defender, pretty sure he was a great forward as an under 18 year old but now he's playing like an AA KPD. (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-04/under18-all-australian-team ) .

Kelly is raw, i wouldn't surprised to see him given some times as a forward and see how he goes.

I don't think Darcy Moore was that brilliant as a defender, pretty sure he was a great forward as an under 18 year old but now he's playing like an AA KPD. (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-04/under18-all-australian-team ) .

Kelly is raw, i wouldn't surprised to see him given some times as a forward and see how he goes.
I think you’ll find for the bulk of his best junior years he was slaying them down back.
Only towards the final year in key junior comps did he go forward with real resolve.

But if will Kelly can be a fine key forward, we’d take it.
Suspect he’s earmarked to be long term the key defender with Moore.

Last edited:

Moore was very good at both ends as a junior. His entire u18 year had people arguing over whether he’d be a better forward or defender. That’s a terrible example.

Moore was very good at both ends as a junior. His entire u18 year had people arguing over whether he’d be a better forward or defender. That’s a terrible example.

I haven't watched as much of Will Kelly as you have as a 16/17 year old obviously, I'm not saying he'll be a great forward but I think he'll be tried there.

I haven't watched as much of Will Kelly as you have as a 16/17 year old obviously, I'm not saying he'll be a great forward but I think he'll be tried there.
I’d be surprised. Will went from being a late/rookie prospect as a forward to being an early second round selection on the back of his work as an intercept defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst fathers and shadows and all that.

If Will became on par with dad, Craig, career wise, we’d have done very nicely indeed.
Will, from what I gather is a more natural type than the more robust Craig.

And if Will is better still, then we’d have made off like bandits.

From memory some of his early games in his final year with Oakley they threw him around a fare bit. I remember watching Kelly play on ball and forward of centre. He kicked a ripper opportunistic goal the first game I saw him play. It wasn't until the championships he consistently played back of centre in his final junior year.

Great to hear he is finally ready to start his playing career at Collingwood and looking forward to seeing him play

Surely a lock for the backline. I think our ideal situation would be for him to become a replacement for Moore and we could switch Moore into s forward role. Moore’s marking is looking very good. He can hurt teams as a Tom Lynch type.

A good young KPF would be quite handy...
It would be, but not him though.
Watch all of his games last year thanks to td, started out playing forward, totally lost, played like he had never played that that position before.
Then they sent him back, what a difference, he is a natural backman
The kid will go well there l think, just needs time to develop

Surely a lock for the backline. I think our ideal situation would be for him to become a replacement for Moore and we could switch Moore into s forward role. Moore’s marking is looking very good. He can hurt teams as a Tom Lynch type.

I like your confidence, but 'surely' and 'a lock' are going pretty early on a young tall we haven't seen yet, who didn't go particularly early in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back